Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs Model 3 First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S70D owner from new early 2015, flew to Fremont to pick up new Model 3, first impressions while taking our time driving back down to Southern California.

Model 3 Pros
• Efficiency so far appears to be better than my S70D where I average in the 280 to 290's.
• Handling with Model S is really good for a big car, 3 is even better. Light and nimble feeling.
• Push a button on the door handle inside and the door unlatches electronically.
• Sound system seems better than S with upgraded sound option.
• Rear seat has a fold down armrest with cup holders.
• Map pockets in all doors.
• Sun visors are more substantial feeling, are taller, telescope out when to the side like on Mercedes, and have a lighted mirror on both sides.
• Center console seems very functional with a lot of compartments. But I have a yacht floor on my model S so I don't have anything to compare it to.
• Front visibility is excellent due to very large windshield and short, low hood.
• Electronic vent direction controls are fun and my wife thinks they are more functional than manual grab it versions in the S or all other cars.
• Acceleration based just on seat of the pants is maybe a tick slower than the 70D but still as fast as anyone would need.
• Door windows automatically roll slightly down and up when doors are opened and closed to help the seal as many cars do.
• The 3 roof has even more glass than my S with sunroof. The whole interior above the sill is basically all glass except where structural members are.

Model 3 Cons
• Trunk does not auto open or close even with the PUP option. Have to push outside of trunk (painted area which gets dirty) to close.
• Missing instrument cluster area screen is hard to get used to. After 2 days of driving still find myself looking directly ahead at the wood behind the steering wheel when driving.
• Missing functions from steering column stalks is also hard to get used to. Some windshield washer functions, auto speed settings are only available from the center screen. Mirror and wheel position adjustments are ok.
• Some functions in the S instrument cluster left/right areas are missing from the 3 center screen. Analog clock with second hand, power meter with graduations (there is a thin unmarked colored line power meter), separate navigation turn direction close up.
• No electronic owners manual. Expect this may be added later.
• Wifi doesn't work. Expect this to be fixed later.
• Rear visibility is poor. Rear glass stopping too high at trunk causes most of this.
• No internet browser function. Even if it weren't ever added I wont miss it much since the browser was so bad but there is no longer a way to change the entire screen display to fun things like flux capacitor or valet instructions.
• Regenerative breaking as expected feels not as strong as on the S70D due to having a single motor but still good enough for 1 pedal driving in most situations.
• I'll miss the sunroof, air suspension, heated steering wheel on my S not available on the 3.
• Car unlocking has been harder for me having to get out and swipe the card with no keyfobs but should be resolved once I get the unlock via bluetooth part of the Android phone app working. The delivery center couldn't get it working on my phone, told me to call service. I was there for hours and wanted to leave so didn't make a big deal about it. Works from my wife’s newer Android phone.
• Few glitches so far include auto tilting side mirror getting stuck tilted down, emergency brake needing service notice seen once, regenerative breaking ability decreased notice seen once don't know why (charge was not high), front hood / fender panel alignment (noticed after delivery, will take in later for that).
• Occasional slight steering vibration is worrisome, will take in for that if it persists and if I think it is not just the road.

@MrBilly,

Excellent write up! Thank you for taking the time. What was the fix for the struck auto tilting side mirror? Software via a Tesla? You mention you’ll miss the next three......I’m waiting for sunroof, SAS and possibly heated steering wheel as well though I don’t anticipate the last on the 3. Also holding out for a AWD.
Overall sounds like your very happy!
Congratulations and enjoy!

Ski

@MrBilly,

Excellent write up! Thank you for taking the time. What was the fix for the struck auto tilting side mirror? Software via a Tesla? You mention you’ll miss the next three......I’m waiting for sunroof, SAS and possibly heated steering wheel as well though I don’t anticipate the last on the 3. Also holding out for a AWD.
Overall sounds like your very happy!
Congratulations and enjoy!

Ski
Fix for the stuck auto tilting left side mirror was to just stop and manually adjust it back up after starting forward. It happened multiple times on the drivers side so I just turned the auto tilt off until I have a chance to take it for service for that and the other glitches. Other items of note in our ride the rest of the way home today:

I forgot all about the lane change warning which causes the steering to vibrate when not in the center of the lane with the blinker off. I turned it off over 2 years ago on the S since it annoyed me and never set it in again. Default was on at delivery of the 3. I turned it off and haven't noticed it happen again so that must be it.

Another missing function in the S not in the 3 is the trip graph showing remaining charge by distance considering elevation. At least couldn't find it. Hopefully that will get added back.

Another glitch is after arriving home the scheduled charge option wouldn't enable. Guess I'll plug in and start the charge after 10P when lower time of use rates kick in until that is fixed.

Average wh/mi was 250 (even) for the 500 odd mile trip home!

Yes, overall I'm extremely happy. Didn't expect perfection with 23xx VIN. Thanks for the reply.

Model S70D owner from new early 2015, flew to Fremont to pick up new Model 3, first impressions while taking our time driving back down to Southern California.

Model 3 Pros
• Efficiency so far appears to be better than my S70D where I average in the 280 to 290's.
• Handling with Model S is really good for a big car, 3 is even better. Light and nimble feeling.
• Push a button on the door handle inside and the door unlatches electronically.
• Sun visors are more substantial feeling, are taller, telescope out when to the side like on Mercedes, and have a lighted mirror on both sides.
• Center console seems very functional with a lot of compartments. But I have a yacht floor on my model S so I don't have anything to compare it to.
• Front visibility is excellent due to very large windshield and short, low hood.
• Electronic vent direction controls are fun and my wife thinks they are more functional than manual grab it versions in the S or all other cars.
• Acceleration based just on seat of the pants is maybe a tick slower than the 70D but still as fast as anyone would need.
• Door windows automatically roll slightly down and up when doors are opened and closed to help the seal as many cars do.
• The 3 roof has even more glass than my S with sunroof. The whole interior above the sill is basically all glass except where structural members are.

Model 3 Cons
• Trunk does not auto open or close even with the PUP option. Have to push outside of trunk (painted area which gets dirty) to close.
• Missing instrument cluster area screen is hard to get used to. After 2 days of driving still find myself looking directly ahead at the wood behind the steering wheel when driving.
• Missing functions from steering column stalks is also hard to get used to. Some windshield washer functions, auto speed settings are only available from the center screen. Mirror and wheel position adjustments are ok.
• Some functions in the S instrument cluster left/right areas are missing from the 3 center screen. Analog clock with second hand, power meter with graduations (there is a thin unmarked colored line power meter), separate navigation turn direction close up.
• Rear visibility is poor. Rear glass stopping too high at trunk causes most of this.
• No internet browser function. Even if it weren't ever added I wont miss it much since the browser was so bad but there is no longer a way to change the entire screen display to fun things like flux capacitor or valet instructions.
• Regenerative breaking as expected feels not as strong as on the S70D due to having a single motor but still good enough for 1 pedal driving in most situations.
• I'll miss the sunroof, air suspension, heated steering wheel on my S not available on the 3.
• Car unlocking has been harder for me having to get out and swipe the card with no keyfobs but should be resolved once I get the unlock via bluetooth part of the Android phone app working. The delivery center couldn't get it working on my phone, told me to call service. I was there for hours and wanted to leave so didn't make a big deal about it. Works from my wife’s newer Android phone.
• Few glitches so far include auto tilting side mirror getting stuck tilted down, emergency brake needing service notice seen once, regenerative breaking ability decreased notice seen once don't know why (charge was not high), front hood / fender panel alignment (noticed after delivery, will take in later for that).
• Occasional slight steering vibration is worrisome, will take in for that if it persists and if I think it is not just the road.

Thanks for the initial impressions! We're still planning to hold out for the dual motor version and whatever other refinements arrive in the meantime, but it's good to know what the initial experience is like. The reduced regeneration capacity is common enough on the Model S in cold temperatures, so I assume that's happening with your Model 3 as well. It's possible there's a different threshold for battery management purposes or reduced vampire drain that makes the effect more pronounced.

I drove a model 3 couple of days ago. Not bad car overall. Really like the handling car felt super light and handling was extremely precise, probably one of the best handling cars I ever drove. Efficiency is also amazing I'm in MN and it was getting 300w/mi when it was -20 deg c out

It went downhill from there. Gaps on the hood and bumper were horrible, a lot of road noise in the cabin (like early 2012-2013 model s). Doors have to be slammed shut. There was condensation already forming inside the rear tail lights.

Overall the car is not comparable to my p100dl. I'm not worried about the 3 taking sales away from the S. At $57k before rebates it's not really cheap either.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Thanks for all the info about the Model 3. I just got my Model S a week ago and have been doing well with that aside from annoyances here and there.

I am glad to hear you have had a great experience so far. I am at the "January to April" estimate for my Model 3. Though I am hoping I can push that back for the dual motor version. That would also give Tesla more time to iron out anymore issues.

• Informative
Reactions: sammyfan711

Model 3 Pros

Model 3 Cons
Gosh! Thank you for the great review. Enjou youyr new ride.

Fix for the stuck auto tilting left side mirror was to just stop and manually adjust it back up after starting forward. It happened multiple times on the drivers side so I just turned the auto tilt off until I have a chance to take it for service for that and the other glitches. Other items of note in our ride the rest of the way home today:

I forgot all about the lane change warning which causes the steering to vibrate when not in the center of the lane with the blinker off. I turned it off over 2 years ago on the S since it annoyed me and never set it in again. Default was on at delivery of the 3. I turned it off and haven't noticed it happen again so that must be it.

Another missing function in the S not in the 3 is the trip graph showing remaining charge by distance considering elevation. At least couldn't find it. Hopefully that will get added back.

Another glitch is after arriving home the scheduled charge option wouldn't enable. Guess I'll plug in and start the charge after 10P when lower time of use rates kick in until that is fixed.

Average wh/mi was 250 (even) for the 500 odd mile trip home!

Yes, overall I'm extremely happy. Didn't expect perfection with 23xx VIN. Thanks for the reply.

@MrBilly,

Thank you so much for the responses and follow up! Much appreciated. Re: the charging sched. Correct me if I’m wrong but it is my understanding that setting “scheduled charging” is not enabled yet on the 3. Coming in an OTA update in the future I’ve heard. Check with Your SC when you get the mirror checked and let us know if this is correct. Enjoy your new baby!

Ski

• Love
Reactions: Doctor X
Attempting to answer the questions posed here since yesterday.

Great space in the 3 trunk, much better than I expected, but of course not as much as the S. Picture leaving the flimsy parcel shelf that comes with the S trunk in place and there's almost that much room in the 3 trunk. Access is similar or better than that which is fine too. There is also a hidden trap door compartment under the trunk but quite a bit smaller than on the S. Seats fold down like on the so there's the ability to make it much larger. Haven't tried lying down in there but I expect some could sleep there with head toward the front. Incredibly (designers were listening to us), the space is totally flat, no slight step up between the trunk and seats when folded down as in the S. The frunk is slightly smaller I think than my S but that's a dual motor S so there's not much room there anyway.

No owners manual at all in the car software which was one of my difference points with the S (or X). Didn't realize it's online, not as useful there in my opinion.

I also noticed some of the doors (back ones) have to be closed hard or won't close completely. Not a big deal to me, I expect service can do something about it. I also noticed the backup camera is darker and distorted and too wide a lens angle compared to the S. Again, not a big deal to me, its good enough and I expect it can be improved some via software. The 250 wh/mi for the trip back was with some fast launches and going with the fast highway flow except where traffic. I expect to get better (less) than 250 for my normal freeway commute. I have the standard (no extra cost) aero wheels with green Michelins which I'm sure help this. Still on the original Michelins with good tread life left on my S after 55K miles, heard Continentals come on the sport 19s which I don't want.

Had to take the extended range version to get early delivery which of course is what I have on the 3. Range (now) is 310 on 100% charge (which I haven't done yet and may never do). S70D was 240 when new, after 55K miles there is maybe 5-7% degradation. Most of that was in the first 10K miles so I expect the rate of degradation to continue to be very slow for many years. Should last a lifetime? I haven't charged above 90% in a long time and only that much on road trips. Forgot to mention we were charged for every supercharge coming down from Fremont. At least according to the display. I was expecting 400 kWh free per year as I think is the current deal with S or X without a referral, guess not. Only about $10 for maybe 80% charge.

There are 2 pop out coat hooks in the back, one on either side below the inside glass. As I said, someone at Tesla has been listening.

Weren't sure about it before but after driving some today we definitely noticed very occasional but also very annoying loud crack noises from the speakers when in use, louder with volume. Another thing for the service list. Many bugs with the software not mentioned here, nothing we can't live with until the fixes start coming.

Still very happy with the car. Seems like many people are waiting for the issues to be ironed out before pulling the trigger. I'm comfortable with our decision to go for it now, knowing from our S experience that so much in the car that really needs improvement or fixing is software anyway, an update away from a fix or solution. Even more so in this car than the S. The hardware non-design issues will get fixed with a service visit or visits. The design issues you'll get no matter when you order until a redesign which with this car will be a very long time.

Attempting to answer the questions posed here since yesterday.

Great space in the 3 trunk, much better than I expected, but of course not as much as the S. Picture leaving the flimsy parcel shelf that comes with the S trunk in place and there's almost that much room in the 3 trunk. Access is similar or better than that which is fine too. There is also a hidden trap door compartment under the trunk but quite a bit smaller than on the S. Seats fold down like on the so there's the ability to make it much larger. Haven't tried lying down in there but I expect some could sleep there with head toward the front. Incredibly (designers were listening to us), the space is totally flat, no slight step up between the trunk and seats when folded down as in the S. The frunk is slightly smaller I think than my S but that's a dual motor S so there's not much room there anyway.

No owners manual at all in the car software which was one of my difference points with the S (or X). Didn't realize it's online, not as useful there in my opinion.

I also noticed some of the doors (back ones) have to be closed hard or won't close completely. Not a big deal to me, I expect service can do something about it. I also noticed the backup camera is darker and distorted and too wide a lens angle compared to the S. Again, not a big deal to me, its good enough and I expect it can be improved some via software. The 250 wh/mi for the trip back was with some fast launches and going with the fast highway flow except where traffic. I expect to get better (less) than 250 for my normal freeway commute. I have the standard (no extra cost) aero wheels with green Michelins which I'm sure help this. Still on the original Michelins with good tread life left on my S after 55K miles, heard Continentals come on the sport 19s which I don't want.

Had to take the extended range version to get early delivery which of course is what I have on the 3. Range (now) is 310 on 100% charge (which I haven't done yet and may never do). S70D was 240 when new, after 55K miles there is maybe 5-7% degradation. Most of that was in the first 10K miles so I expect the rate of degradation to continue to be very slow for many years. Should last a lifetime? I haven't charged above 90% in a long time and only that much on road trips. Forgot to mention we were charged for every supercharge coming down from Fremont. At least according to the display. I was expecting 400 kWh free per year as I think is the current deal with S or X without a referral, guess not. Only about $10 for maybe 80% charge.

There are 2 pop out coat hooks in the back, one on either side below the inside glass. As I said, someone at Tesla has been listening.

Weren't sure about it before but after driving some today we definitely noticed very occasional but also very annoying loud crack noises from the speakers when in use, louder with volume. Another thing for the service list. Many bugs with the software not mentioned here, nothing we can't live with until the fixes start coming.

Still very happy with the car. Seems like many people are waiting for the issues to be ironed out before pulling the trigger. I'm comfortable with our decision to go for it now, knowing from our S experience that so much in the car that really needs improvement or fixing is software anyway, an update away from a fix or solution. Even more so in this car than the S. The hardware non-design issues will get fixed with a service visit or visits. The design issues you'll get no matter when you order until a redesign which with this car will be a very long time.

appreciate all the new details Billy. you mentioned expecting to get less than 250 wh/mi for your normal freeway commute. could you describe a little at what speed that commute tends to be, and, whether it's pretty steady or stop and go? (fwiw, I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of range to expect at 70-75 on a long distance highway drive I often do with little traffic most of the way)

I drove a model 3 couple of days ago. Not bad car overall. Really like the handling car felt super light and handling was extremely precise, probably one of the best handling cars I ever drove. Efficiency is also amazing I'm in MN and it was getting 300w/mi when it was -20 deg c out

It went downhill from there. Gaps on the hood and bumper were horrible, a lot of road noise in the cabin (like early 2012-2013 model s). Doors have to be slammed shut. There was condensation already forming inside the rear tail lights.

Overall the car is not comparable to my p100dl. I'm not worried about the 3 taking sales away from the S. At $57k before rebates it's not really cheap either.
I was having buyers remorse. I love the Model S 75 that I purchased in September rather than wait for the Model 3 request to configure that I just received two weeks ago. Your comments make me feel better about my decision.

I was having buyers remorse. I love the Model S 75 that I purchased in September rather than wait for the Model 3 request to configure that I just received two weeks ago. Your comments make me feel better about my decision.

What Vin had all those issues? Our car is flawless. No panel gaps, much tighter build than our 2017 S90D. The 3 is quick, fun, light and nimble. Extremely crisp handling.

Only thing I could complain about are some
of the software bugs left to be addressed.

To me the loaded 3 at $53k after incentives in CA is 85-90% of the key features of the S for half the price!

Only thing missing is faster acceleration and air suspension. Oh and the Model 3 navigation and UI speed is ways better than S. Hopefully S gets the update soon.

I'll know more on the commute efficiency later next week when I go back to work. On the way for me it is mostly free and clear LA freeway (fast!) speeds. On the way home it can be stop and go. The last leg of the trip back from Fremont during rush hour Friday afternoon on the 101 then 405 with a lot of stop and go I was surprised to be at just less than 180 wh/mi. So I may get 250ish on the way to work, you could get similar, maybe I'll get 200ish on the way home, we'll see.

Also on the trunk size I don't want anyone to think it is nearly as wide as the S. I said some may be comfortable sleeping back there, probably only one person and not if you're tall.