Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Wagon?

Model S "Touring"

• Excellent idea, would take it over Model S!

Votes: 112 50.5%
  • Great idea for a lot of buyers, but would still buy the sedan

Votes: 74 33.3%
  • Not a good idea.

Votes: 36 16.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's unlikely that this would ever see the light of day simply because it would cannibalize sales of the Model X.
I agree that it’s probably unlikely. But I think the reason we probably won’t see one is because TM doesn’t think they can sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. That combined with TM still being a very small car company with limited engineering resources and needing those engineering resources elsewhere; namely Model X and gen3.

If Tesla was able to adapt the Model S design and production process to make this variation .. I'd probably trip over myself trying to get the first deposit down !

And .. as an ex RS6 owner back in my fossil juice days, I just know they'd sell a ton of these in Germany and the EU in general.

Go on Elon. Pretty Please.
With sugar on top .. ?

Well this thread is pretty old but anyway... I guess that as soon as the GigaFactory is running they will have both a larger cashflow for model development but mor importantly, they're gonna want to have cars for many more segments when they are able to meet the demand. Im guessing for a volvo s40/v40 style for the gen 3. A sleek looking car in both sedan and wagon model. But allso the model S will have a wagon version. And regarding the aerodynammics discussed earlier in the thread i dont think that making awagon has to make the car much less aerodynamic. The MB Bionic concept is a really high car that still has one of the lowest drag coefficients in the world for practical designs.

.. And regarding the aerodynammics discussed earlier in the thread i dont think that making a wagon has to make the car much less aerodynamic.

I have some practical experience of Aerodynamics and guesstimate that Cd of a Model S wagon / estate / Avant version would likely increase from the standard cars 0.24 to around 0.28, primarily due to the loss of the fastback design. Assuming all other aspects remain the same the likely range reduction due to the increase in Cd would probably work out around 20 to 25 miles less (85kwh car). You could claw about half of this back by increasing tyre pressure by 20% from the recommended comfort setting, but changing the tyres to lower rolling resistance would noticeably increase range beyond the standard car by some +20 to 30 miles! ( .. and yes, I realise there would be minor variations in feel and ultimate grip etc etc, but we're talking small percentages .. )

Well this thread is pretty old but anyway... I guess that as soon as the GigaFactory is running they will have both a larger cashflow for model development but mor importantly, they're gonna want to have cars for many more segments when they are able to meet the demand. Im guessing for a volvo s40/v40 style for the gen 3. A sleek looking car in both sedan and wagon model. But allso the model S will have a wagon version. And regarding the aerodynammics discussed earlier in the thread i dont think that making awagon has to make the car much less aerodynamic. The MB Bionic concept is a really high car that still has one of the lowest drag coefficients in the world for practical designs.
Remember that drag is Cd * area, so even if the Bionic has a low Cd, the height increases it's frontal area. If you could make a tractor trailer with better Cd than the Model S, it would still have higher total drag due to the massive frontal area

Bump for another awesome render. Thoughts?

IMG_1939.JPG

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I really dont understand why they did not square off the back of X model just a bit. Would the aerodynamics have been comprimized that much? And this is a designated third row vehicle where every inch of headroom and legroom counts. Yes you can get 6 footers in the back of the X but just. Imagine if you could add a couple of inches to the 2nd and 3rd row led room. Rant off, and I do like the looks of the wagon but I think Tesla will put money into the upcoming model 3 and a slight refresh of the S

I would go for that. I would think the view out the back window would be better than the Model S sedan.

Though it would have more drag. The more squared off the back end, the more induced drag you get because you get a partial vacuum behind the car that acts as drag. This hasn't been done with a car, but there was an artillery genius named Gerald Bull who discovered a way to increase the range and accuracy of artillery. Artillery shells have a flat back end too and the induced drag was hurting the range and accuracy. However Bull came up with an idea to have artillery shells leak a gas into that void and it improved things dramatically. Today pretty much every country does this with artillery.

With cars, it might be possible to pump used cabin air or take in air from the front and release it into the space behind the car to eliminate the vacuum. That might eliminate the drag induced from squaring off the back.

Tesla Model S as station wagon:

Could the rear hatch be removed and a custom one made - which has the shape to make the car into a station wagon? Lights, license plate and some sensors - what else is in the hatch?

As in third party offering (of course, most likely no warranty from Tesla then ...)

As usually - it's all about money. Someone has to come up with the idea. Can they sell enough conversion kits to make R&D worth while?

I think such a conversion would sell well in Europe, especially Northern Europe.

Now add a towing hook to that conversion, and the segment of potential buyers would increase immensely. Again, no Tesla warranty. But imagine if Tesla would approve such conversion - simply because they can't do it themselves, being too busy. Let someone else eat that bone.

I want an EV with a towing hook - but I don't appreciate the complexity of the Model X falcon doors. And the glass is nice, but eventually the insurance companies will get tired of replacing ~3000 USD glass sections over and over again.

Keep saying "wagons are ugly" if you like. This is not for North America, but for Europe, where station wagons are very popular.

@DITB, what you're describing sounds a lot like the Callaway AeroWagen kit for the C7 Corvette. It's basically a bolt-on replacement hatch that gives it more of a "shooting brake" profile.
IMG_3877.jpg

I must admit I don't know what the recent Vette looks like. But yes, something like that BUT not "bolt on top" but rather "replace".

Take away the rear hatch and replace it with one that would make it into a station wagon.