Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the look , but I'm sticking with Florida legal 35 on sides and rear, with illegal 75 front. Going with photosync. Appointment in a week. Saturday my sport line metallic grey cyclones go on.
Hello Clint E - im waiting for my CPO P85+ and would like to get the window done. Im in Palm Beach Co, FL and wondering if you had your MS done in the area - and can recommend a shop. thx!

I have a 2013 CPO P85 I just picked up. I drove it straight to the tinting shop and had them photosync everything.
FWS: 75
Pano: 75
Sides (Front/rear): 55
Rear hatch: 45

I was primarily concerned about heat reduction, thus the conservative window tinting. I have rear jumpseats so I wanted to get that back nice and cool (hence the 45).

I definitely see a rainbow haze while wearing my polarized sunglasses. Almost like the rainbows you see from soap bubbles. I kinda like it actually.. like driving in a Willy Wonka car. But it'll probably get annoying so I will likely get some new non-polarized sunglasses.

It's too early to tell how much of a heat reduction I'm getting but it's definitely better than nothing.

I and a number of people I know have Llumar's ceramic AirBlue80 on our windshields. Works great and I personally do not notice any difference. It's a very faint blue like a contact lense "visibility tint", and that never bothered me either. The difference in heat radiating onto you before and after was very noticeable!

I've often wondered if having the windshield done INSTEAD of every other window (i.e. the opposite of what most people do) wouldn't make more of a difference in heat rejection. In various cars over the year when driving into the sun it can be brutal.

Reactions: Cyclone
@markn455,

Looks Amazing! What made you decide on Crystalline over the Photosync? On that note are you seeing the aforementioned 'purple' color on the rear deck lid?

Ski
I have used Crystalline on multiple vehicles over the years. Always been very happy with the results. Photosync might be marginally better on heat reduction and in fact considered going with that. However, it was about twice as expensive. Therefore, I decided to stick with what I knew.

Mark

hkM6U2M.jpg
te86HuZ.jpg

czT9szr.jpg

Here are some pictures of my 75 /55 /55 /45. I think the rears look darker due to the darker rear hatch being 45. It also seems really dark in general but it's quite comfortable and not 'blacked out'.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
hkM6U2M.jpg
te86HuZ.jpg

czT9szr.jpg

Here are some pictures of my 75 /55 /55 /45. I think the rears look darker due to the darker rear hatch being 45. It also seems really dark in general but it's quite comfortable and not 'blacked out'.

Thanks for posting these shots. As I get older, I find that the darkened windows (even just 35% film) start to inhibit my night vision more and more. As my primary reason for tinting is heat rejection, I am considering going with something in the 50% range (as a compromise) this time around and your car gives me a great idea of what that will look like (i.e. pretty darn good). Obviously the "blacked out" crowd won't appreciate it, but I sure do!

hkM6U2M.jpg
te86HuZ.jpg

czT9szr.jpg

By chance did you also cover the pano or left it as is? The 75 looks pretty clear, and much like "Cab" I'm looking more for heat rejection than privacy - how comfortable is it when you're driving towards the sun (do you feel any heat)?

Cab - I'm glad this is helpful. I spent a very long time combing through the boards trying to find useful tinting pictures to better gauge what % I wanted my windows at. I hope my pictures were helpful.

Trev - I did do the Pano roof at 75. I will be honest, I still feel the heat and my AC does work quite a bit when it's hot out. I was in the San Fernando Valley this weekend and the external thermometer read 100F+ (~ 38C). My last car (Audi allroad) had a panoroof too but it had a built in screen. I am considering getting the pano screen if it gets worse.

I will say though that it was far from unbearable. I didn't get that feeling that my legs were baking (from the front windshield) and I didn't feel the heat directly above me.. it was more that the whole car was 'warm'... if that makes sense?

Perhaps it's because it was so hot outside and the car color is darker than my last one was.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
FWIW, I did my pano in 35, just like my back windows. My front side in 45 and the windshield in 75. With the external thermometer at 104 last weekend, I felt very little heat transfer at the pano. All photosynch.

When I took it into the SC the other day, the advisor was impressed by the windshield tint.

I have the rear facing seats and I had 3M 20% tint half back installed on mine here in Northern California. Backseats a little cooler, the kids are not getting as much sun for around the town driving, car looks much better and no problems seeing out at night.

Attached a shot

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 256
Can anyone in San Diego recommend a good window film installer in our fine city? I don't necessarily need to have Photosync or other material that requires a "certified" installer, but I would like good quality film installed by a good installer that pays attention to detail and preferably has experience with Teslas.