Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering immediate post-delivery detailing and protection with a product like Glare or Opti-Coat. Should I wait to get that done after the tinting, so the glass can be protected too (and any paint scratches introduced by the tint guys can be removed), or before tinting (so the paint can be protected from the tint guys)? If I do it before tinting, should the glass be left bare?
I'm having a hard time understanding your question because it sounds like you think that the final window tinting is applied to the outside of the glass. The final tinting is applied to the inside of the glass and thus does not interact with the paint coating on the outside. The tinting is often sized and fitted to the outside of the glass and then transferred to the inside.

I don't notice this as much out the side windows, but primarily see it out my windshield tint. Does seem (I think) to be getting better as it dries/cures. However it's really prevalent in the windshields of oncoming cars. Also white cars can appear pink to green at times. Not sure if this is related to the moisture used in applying the tint, or just the type of tint itself.

Greg:

It is not caused by moisture. It's the nature of the tint (Air Blue 80?) and how it's effective. If you can't get used to it, try a non-polarized pair of sunglasses.
It's also in my side windows, but not as noticeable because the the most light comes through the front windshield..

I'm considering immediate post-delivery detailing and protection with a product like Glare or Opti-Coat. Should I wait to get that done after the tinting, so the glass can be protected too (and any paint scratches introduced by the tint guys can be removed), or before tinting (so the paint can be protected from the tint guys)? If I do it before tinting, should the glass be left bare?

As was previously said, the tinting guys should not affect the paint in any way, other than getting a little soapy water on it.

If you can afford it, get sections of the car covered with Xpel Ultimate paint protection film while the paint is virgin. None of the other products can protect your car against chips in your paint from rocks, scratches from shopping carts etc. And it's warranted for 10 years.

If cost isn't an issue, I think the ultimate protection is Xpel over the whole front or whole car, followed by Opticoat or other paint protectant. I know some of them have a product for the windows as well to help water bead better, and is supposed to work way better than Rain-X. Best thing is find a place that can do both your protection and tinting. I would get the car over ASAP to avoid getting any rock chips on the car. I'm thinking to drive it straight from delivery to the shop and leave it for a few days, though it will be difficult parting with the car after just getting it.

The guys that did my car put photosync on the inside, which I think is the norm. If that's the case for all tinters, then you shouldn't need to wait at all. Get it done and enjoy the S! I take back my previous comment about the rainbow effect. I see it on my Mercedes and it doesn't have tint.

I'm having a hard time understanding your question because it sounds like you think that the final window tinting is applied to the outside of the glass. The final tinting is applied to the inside of the glass and thus does not interact with the paint coating on the outside. The tinting is often sized and fitted to the outside of the glass and then transferred to the inside.

Yeah, I didn't know that. I thought it went on the outside. :) Thanks for the clarification.

- - - Updated - - -

If cost isn't an issue, I think the ultimate protection is Xpel over the whole front or whole car, followed by Opticoat or other paint protectant. I know some of them have a product for the windows as well to help water bead better, and is supposed to work way better than Rain-X. Best thing is find a place that can do both your protection and tinting. I would get the car over ASAP to avoid getting any rock chips on the car. I'm thinking to drive it straight from delivery to the shop and leave it for a few days, though it will be difficult parting with the car after just getting it.

Cost is a consideration. As much as I'd like to go with a full Xpel wrap, it's more than I'd like to spend right now. I'm planning on Glare Pro (after artsci's research) but am having a hard time finding a recommended local detailer who likes that product. Opti-Coat is my second choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, a new pair of (non polarized) sunglasses is probably the best answer here. :)

I'm pretty bonded to polarized sunglasses - does polarization cause strange effects with all types of tint? F1 Pinnacle and/or HO in addition to PhotoSync?

I know in fact that detailers are using another ceramic product - 22PLE over Xpel Ultimate and MS owners have had it installed this way. Don't know about Opticoat though. Should be the same. I would ask the detailer.
If you get Xpel Ultimate, there is a product called Xpel Flawless Finish that is meant to be used over it. It can be applied as often as you like.
I would not use other products not designed to be used over Xpel Ultimate.

Calling all older people. J is 69, I'm 78; we have almost no cataracts or macular degeneration but nonetheless our night vision isn't quite what it was. I'm wanting to go with pectra Photosync 35 and wondering if that would present difficulties at night. I am conjecturing whether the tinting of the side windows could be a benefit, that is not allowing as much side light that would diminish front vision? We have the pano but I assume that would be of no benefit at night.

We have the tech package which provides better headlights which I assume would help.

One thread I read claimed that the photosync wouldn't wear as well as the ceramic or crystalline films. Anyone know if there is truth to that?

I had no idea I'd have to become so educated on such and other matters when we got our Tesla. Always trade-offs. Appreciate having this resource to call on others experience.

Calling all older people. J is 69, I'm 78; we have almost no cataracts or macular degeneration but nonetheless our night vision isn't quite what it was. I'm wanting to go with pectra Photosync 35 and wondering if that would present difficulties at night. I am conjecturing whether the tinting of the side windows could be a benefit, that is not allowing as much side light that would diminish front vision? We have the pano but I assume that would be of no benefit at night.

One thread I read claimed that the photosync wouldn't wear as well as the ceramic or crystalline films. Anyone know if there is truth to that?

Are you planning on tinting your windshield? That is your most important source of light at night; side windows provide very little help at night, so I don't think tinting your side windows will hurt you.
I have Air Blue 80 on my front windshield. It let's 80% of light through and cuts heat, glare and UV. But if seeing at night is most important to you because of age etc., forget tinting the front windshield.

Formula One Pinnacle is a nano-ceramic tint that is guaranteed for 10 years against most anything. And it's transferable. Check Photosyn's warranty to compare.

We have the tech package which provides better headlights which I assume would help.

I had no idea I'd have to become so educated on such and other matters when we got our Tesla. Always trade-offs. Appreciate having this resource to call on others experience.

My mom's driven the S and she's 64 with no complaints here. Go with something lighter if you're concerned of night driving. Here is a video that I found that actually swayed me from using Crystalline. I almost went with 3m til I found this online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNJs_VmoQGE

I received a lifetime warranty card for the photosync.

I'm pretty bonded to polarized sunglasses - does polarization cause strange effects with all types of tint? F1 Pinnacle and/or HO in addition to PhotoSync?

I'm beginning to think so, unless its baked into the glass. I love my polarized driving glasses, they make a huge difference in improving contrast and clarity... so I'm reluctant to give them up. We'll see, I'm giving it a month or two to see how it sits.

Need a quick bit of advice on tinting film choice. My installer recommended Madico Wincos film. (When I asked him about 3M Crystalline, he said he's had problems with ghosting, so he doesn't use it). He quoted me $550 for the doors and trunk.

Thinking about doing 60% on all doors and 30% on the rear. Primary goal is controlling interior heat, especially when the sun is shining directly on a passenger. I also don't want to go too dark on the front windows (illegal in CA), and I'd like all four doors to match. (I was considering the 45% on the doors, but my guy doesn't stock it.) This seems like a good balance, and 45 might be too dark on the front doors, anyway.

I haven't heard much talk here about Wincos, so any advice is greatly appreciated! Thoughts?

http://www.wincosir.com/car_tint.html
http://www.madico.com/window-film/automotive/

Thanks!

Last edited:
Need a quick bit of advice on tinting film choice. My installer recommended Madico Wincos film...

Seems like we are in the same area. I am looking for a good tint person in the West L.A. region. Alhambra, as someone highly recommended above, may work, but would rather find someone closer. Would also prefer someone who is familiar with the films others here are using. Andrew, just in case, who are you using? My only concern with him is that so many people here seem to like their 3M's and he does not.

If I'm not mistaken, this is my car that Premier put up to show that there's no reception issue at all with photosync. This was one of my concerns when I had it done because I was not crazy w/ the 3g, so if the tint's going to affect even slightly, I wouldn't have gone w/ it. They assured me that it wouldn't so I guess they were right.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.551721314886580.1073741825.471108926281153&type=1

The blue one looks like mine but the profile name in the screen shot isn't me. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Alao check your local laws regarding window tint on the front of the car. Here in CA it is not allowed on winshield, driver or passenger windows so a lighter tint is reccomended to not get a ticket. For the driver and passenger windows people sometimes don't think it does any harm but at 4 way stops you can't see if a driver is paying attention or not.

Seems like we are in the same area. I am looking for a good tint person in the West L.A. region. Alhambra, as someone highly recommended above, may work, but would rather find someone closer. Would also prefer someone who is familiar with the films others here are using. Andrew, just in case, who are you using? My only concern with him is that so many people here seem to like their 3M's and he does not.

Doug at Tint Perfection. He's a friend of a friend, and a one-man shop. He did my Prius a few years back with Madico Onyx 55% on the front doors and Madico True Grey 21% on the back doors/hatch. I've been really happy with it, except for a little bit of horizontal flaring on the back hatch from headlights at night.

I'm about to do the drive from LA to SF to Tahoe, and I want to get this done before then... So unless anyone tells me to run screaming from the Wincos, I think I'm going to have Doug do it on Friday... :)