Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - with stainless steel body

Would you consider a stainless steel body for the S or X?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I wouldn't be surprised, but if they're more durable than the aluminium it would be better. A light tap sometimes ends up being a ding.

Of course, I've not considered weight, cost of forming to the desired shape, welding/seaming, and everything else that would be involved with this material either. I pondered adding in a choice of another material, then thought it would really get out of hand - carbon fiber, titanium, etc. I'm sure that the body alone could be very expensive, but might also help in unifying and strengthening the entire car.

titanium.... lol....

there is a reason why cars are made from carbon fiber, and extremely rarely titanium.

First off obtaining the material is a lot more difficult then anything else, as only a few countries export it.

And Tesla logistics is horrible, having them try to source titanium, im sorry id think mold would grow faster in a sterile room then telsa getting replacement panels for titanium.

At least they have a TON of stainless steel for the rockets.
Its not difficult getting more unless the US somehow has a steel storage, which i doubt since we the US has a large surplus of steel.

Reactions: Cheburashka
titanium.... lol....

there is a reason why cars are made from carbon fiber, and extremely rarely titanium.

First off obtaining the material is a lot more difficult then anything else, as only a few countries export it.

And Tesla logistics is horrible, having them try to source titanium, im sorry id think mold would grow faster in a sterile room then telsa getting replacement panels for titanium.

At least they have a TON of stainless steel for the rockets.
Its not difficult getting more unless the US somehow has a steel storage, which i doubt since we the US has a large surplus of steel.

Hence why I stated in a previous post why I excluded other materials - to prevent opening it to some odd, exotic, and prohibitively expensive options. I would expect someone to come up with gold, Styrofoam, cement...who knows what.

I wonder if the weight could be somewhat offset by the structural strength it applies. I would expect the weight to go up (by a sizable margin). I'm sure it was researched when they designed it, especially since there is high tensile steel in parts of the frame to give it the extra protection.