Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably, The version that Tesla seems to be using isn't actually 5.1 (or maybe it was pre-5.1) so it is probably that WebGL wasn't included. I am still looking for an alternative to display CPU/GPU info.

IIRC back in 2011, WebKit was still only being delivered by Apple in those tarballs-every-major-OS-release drops on open source.apple.com, and those were heavily redacted too especially for ARM.

I'm actually surprised that QtWebKit ran as well as it did for ARM, but I don't even think the real iOS JIT was in that old build of WebKit, so it might've just been interpreted Javascript at the time.

They did not provide a free upgrade to LTE if I remember correctly?

No. Their justification is that the LTE upgrade provided "new" features, and therefore not an upgrade of existing hardware features.

My DS told me when I bought the car "Hardware upgrades refer to changes we make to components that are already installed on your Model S. Through the program, you would be eligible to receive any of the upgrades that we come out with at no extra charge."

No. Their justification is that the LTE upgrade provided "new" features, and therefore not an upgrade of existing hardware features.

My DS told me: "Hardware upgrades refer to changes we make to components that are already installed on your Model S. Through the program, you would be eligible to receive any of the upgrades that we come out with at no extra charge."

Well something being faster is an upgrade ;-). Why would they replace something if it is not better or faster? Is an MCU that is faster a feature or an upgrade? ;-)

Reactions: zmarty
Nope. But they did provide an upgrade path :)

For the ignorant among us (i.e. me) was that a paid upgrade? Or is that a joke about how the only way to upgrade is by buying a new car entirely?

IIRC back in 2011, WebKit was still only being delivered by Apple in those tarballs-every-major-OS-release drops on open source.apple.com, and those were heavily redacted too especially for ARM.

I'm actually surprised that QtWebKit ran as well as it did for ARM, but I don't even think the real iOS JIT was in that old build of WebKit, so it might've just been interpreted Javascript at the time.

WebKit's JavaScriptCore's "Nitro" JIT engine for JavaScript was released for macOS Safari in Safari 4.0 (Webkit 528) and went-gold in June 2009 during WWDC. It wasn't released for iOS until iOS 4.3 in 2011 (WebKit version 533). I think Android and Qt lagged behind for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
My VIN is 2482XX, anyone think my car could have it? Taking delivery on Saturday and I’m freaking out!

VIN2484xx here.... I hope you get it too! :)

There will always be something faster, better, cooler coming out. I figure if I wait until it's all out, I will never buy the damn car! Bring it on and keep up with the improvements. When they are more than I can stand, I will sell and buy new again!

Since retrofitting is like saying "Voldemort" in Tesla world, they cannot say whether its "eligible" or not, so we will have to see based on owners asking the Service Center and seeing what the response is.

Just the GPU/MCU not the screen itself, Model 3 seems to still have higher specs as you mentioned.

So as it stands it the new MCU and the 5G antennas are whats rolling out for new cars as of now in terms of hardware of note. Software update should be coming soon just before or after the end of quarter depending on what their guidance is looking like close to quarter close.

Thanks for info. You said MX are also in the update?

For the ignorant among us (i.e. me) was that a paid upgrade? Or is that a joke about how the only way to upgrade is by buying a new car entirely?
No, they actually did provide a LTE radio retrofit. It was "just" a new module in the mirror that hooked up to USB and 12V power. It was for cost though.... but a lot of us are afraid that was a Tesla from a long time ago when they were more amenable to one-off retrofits while lately Tesla pushes back more frequently like a traditional automaker.

WebKit's JavaScriptCore's "Nitro" JIT engine for JavaScript was released for macOS Safari in Safari 4.0 (Webkit 528) and went-gold in June 2009 during WWDC. It wasn't released for iOS until iOS 4.3 in 2011 (WebKit version 533). I think Android and Qt lagged behind for a while.

Ah, thank you!

does navigator.platform return anything useful?

No, they actually did provide a LTE radio retrofit. It was "just" a new module in the mirror that hooked up to USB and 12V power.

I thought it was a daughterboard on the MCU that had to be replaced, and that is why there was so much labor involved. Here is the description I found:

To perform the upgrade, the center display must be removed, a fairly complex process requiring much of the dash to be disassembled. The 3G/GPS module inside the display module is replaced with a new 3G/LTE/GPS module from UBLOX and a new SIM card.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jack Tripper
what is this you are talking about? LTE module is inside of the cid, you just connect antenna to it. I know because my bench mcu with nothing connected is desperately trying to connect to cell service and cannot.

I stand corrected... never mind then! I got excited looking at the FCC teardown of the mirror assembly and thought there was more on that side than just wifi+bt.

My MS75D just entered production today. Current status says: Your Tesla is currently in production. Hoping to get the new MCU. I might actually decline delivery if it has the old MCU. I will lose out on $2500 but this new MCU is just too good to pass up. I haven't paid the downpayment or signed the motor vehicle purchase agreement yet. If it has the new MCU I'll be sure to post the update here. Delivery day is 3/26/18.

VIN: 2468XX

Options for anyone curious:
Pearl White Multicoat
Ultra White Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Decor
Sunroof
Premium Upgrades Package
Standard 19 inch Tires

Just picked up my S75D!!!! I would like to give some good news... I can confirm that my car was fitted with the new MCU. My VIN was 2473XX and went into production on 3/7. The speed is unparalleled. It reacts as fast as you can click. I played with the showroom floor that was outfitted with the old MCU and I felt like I could drive to my destination before the map would even load. All in all, very excited for the faster processor!

Just picked up my S75D!!!! I would like to give some good news... I can confirm that my car was fitted with the new MCU. My VIN was 2473XX and went into production on 3/7. The speed is unparalleled. It reacts as fast as you can click. I played with the showroom floor that was outfitted with the old MCU and I felt like I could drive to my destination before the map would even load. All in all, very excited for the faster processor!
That’s amazing!! Congratulations!

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
I see absolutely no reason to upgrade my MCU. It seems fine to me. Unless we are talking about the browser speed. That's way too slow, but kind of usable. Maybe it's faster than the older Teslas, or it just matches the speed of my slow mind. I also think my car is fast enough, so maybe I'm just a slow mellow person that doesn't need a lot of speed. Although I find my iPhone 6 to be too slow.

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life