Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see absolutely no reason to upgrade my MCU. It seems fine to me. Unless we are talking about the browser speed. That's way too slow, but kind of usable. Maybe it's faster than the older Teslas, or it just matches the speed of my slow mind. I also think my car is fast enough, so maybe I'm just a slow mellow person that doesn't need a lot of speed. Although I find my iPhone 6 to be too slow.
As an Electroman to Electroman, can you tell me if you are hinting the browser is too slow even in the new MCU ?

Thanks Arrowpine, unfortunately I am taking delivery in Decatur, GA. I am really big on tech, and wouldn’t be upset if I missed my several months because I would have the benefit of at least enjoying the car. to miss it by a week or so when others are receiving their vehicle before me, and getting updates will be frustrating to say the least. I bought a Tesla for several reasons. Beautiful vehicle, American made, and a startup company that many said would fail, and that I also very much wanted to support. Their in a cash crunch, and I thought maybe my purchase would help a little. I want to see them succeed, but I also want a technologically advanced car. Enough rant...I just really would like a more responsive MCU.

Tesla pushed up my estimated delivery date up by 2 weeks resulting in me missing AP2.0.

I was literally one of the last deliveries before AP2.0 was announced. It’s tough, but AP2.5 coming out and AP2.0 not reaching pairity has lessened the blow. It gets easier with time.

I'm a bit disappointed, but I'll live. My S75D entered production 2/27 and I do not seem to have the MCU; though, I do have the vanity lights. I'd happily trade the vanity lights for the new MCU. The rendering doesn't seem horrible, but could definitely be improved. My VIN is 483xx.

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
I'm a bit disappointed, but I'll live. My S75D entered production 2/27 and I do not seem to have the MCU; though, I do have the vanity lights. I'd happily trade the vanity lights for the new MCU. The rendering doesn't seem horrible, but could definitely be improved. My VIN is 483xx.

That is an absolute punch right in the balls. Missed it by 1-2 days

It looks like mine made the cut, but I like to think if it hadn't, I would have been okay. I bought the car with no knowledge of a MCU upgrade. Icing on the cake? Sure. Deal breaker? Not a chance. I am so freaking excited about taking possession of this car!

Perhaps, if the retrofit is more than the deposit (doubtful) and one just can't live without it, this would be a way to get the upgrade for less if you had the patience to wait for a new build.

Remember, there is a pretty huge lag coming up before the delivery of the next round of Ss. A lot of people out there are speculating a complete interior update is imminent. It would be okay with me.

One thing is for sure, this thread is hardcore evidence as to WHY there are no leaks or announcements prior to the release of such improvements. It would stall the machine and dramatically impact the cashflow and stock price of the company. I get cranky when people mess with my stock! :)

Based on your location, and the other production dates. Here's a theory...

They start production on new 'lines' starting with those on the Eastern half of the country and then working west.

I'm in Wisconsin, and my S75 started production on 2/28. @bigred79 is in CA, and his entered production on 2/27.

From the order status thread, I hadn't seen anyone from the West coast enter production until the first and second week of March.

So I'm guessing if you're the end of one 'line' with the old MCU, and I'm near the start of the new 'line' with the new MCU. Again, this is all speculation, as I don't pick mine up until 3/24.

Based on your location, and the other production dates. Here's a theory...

They start production on new 'lines' starting with those on the Eastern half of the country and then working west.

I'm in Wisconsin, and my S75 started production on 2/28. @bigred79 is in CA, and his entered production on 2/27.

From the order status thread, I hadn't seen anyone from the West coast enter production until the first and second week of March.

So I'm guessing if you're the end of one 'line' with the old MCU, and I'm near the start of the new 'line' with the new MCU. Again, this is all speculation, as I don't pick mine up until 3/24.
I was a little surprised I got mine when I did. I ordered on 2/12; confirmed on 2/15; VIN on 2/15; production on 2/27; delivered on 3/6.

Moderator request (targeted at no one in particular):

This thread has accumulated almost 400 posts in under 40 hours. Clearly the new MCU is a topic that's of interest to many of us.

A lot of technical details are getting lost amidst other postings where people are asking if their new car will get the new MCU, or complaining about not getting it, or wondering / speculating / pontificating about various aspects that aren't yet known to the public (such as upgrade policies). So:

Before posting to this thread, please consider whether everyone needs to read your posting (for extra credit, think about whether about it'll be relevant six months from now). Let's try to keep the chatter down, so this thread remains useful.

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS. Full disclosure: I massaged the thread title a few hours ago because I thought the mention of the Model 3 was confusing.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if someone spends $100k on a brand new vehicle they should get a car with the latest hardware. Two people with the same specs and price could end up with drastically different processors on the same delivery day. Tesla should be forthcoming about this sort of thing and offer to replace older Tegra MCUs in new vehicles that were ordered within the same timeframe as vehicles with the new intel chip or offer the vehicle at a slightly reduced price.

OP on reddit says double scroll wheel reset now reboots BOTH the screens and it reboots under 30 seconds.

Surprised not to have seen this and other observations in Redit OP’s post here.

Reddit OP’s comments & video/benchmark links below:

Picked up this new MS that was just delivered. Has the new vanity mirrors and the center screen is so slick and fast! I see it’s listed as x64 and wondered if this is the new processor from the 3. Vin: 5YJSA1E21JF2458xx

Updates: Video:
-Fail on the vertical but hey, 4K 60fps Benchmark: https://i.imgur.com/zkCJHak.jpg 5Ghz wireless https://i.imgur.com/I2H5VyP.jpg Firmware 2018.6.50 BT 4.2 + 802.11a/b/g/n/ac MIMO Updated Bluetooth, quality sounds better on the standard audio than my premium audio on BT. Vendor is Lg Innotek Rebooting by holding the scroll wheels now resets both screens. Reboot takes <30 seconds, was extremely fast

Note from @Daniellane
Correction to my signature production date for Model S 3/9/18 & configuration date for Model 3 is 3/9/18