Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to wildly speculate now, but I think they are down to two branches now M3 and MCU2, and everyone else. The CID code for AP1, AP2 and AP2.5 is identifcal is just the bits they choose to run, I would not be shocked to find something similar with M3 / MCU2 as that will be the "new" platform going forward, so only 2 branches.

We've already seen builds 2018.6.50 and 2018.10.1 on new MCU2 cars. We haven't seen those builds on MCU1 cars.

What was the process like to keep your $2,500? I'm going to try to keep mine when refusing delivery and reordering, appreciate any tips.

Wonder if I can refer myself before I cancel the order, too? :cool:

Naw, you should use my referral code, I need more bits =), pm for details, LOL! But no, I just insisted on talking to the next level manager until I got high enough that they agreed. I basically said I wouldn't have bought the current car if this was an option and because you don't disclose in advance I had no opportunity to make an informed decision.

Reactions: Don TLR and kak1154
Do you know of ANY other auto maker that does that? Daily reports.....

I'm curious what you're comparing this to - dealership ordering?

I would assume the factory has to have a way of tracking what is going through it? Simply for logistic purposes.

I am not comparing it to anything..... however Tesla offers these updates to consumers.... if it is not working do not offer it. Simply say you will get your car late march and will get a call when its at the Delivery Center.

If you offer something to the consumer it would be nice to have it somewhat accurate. I am referring to your post saying what the DS gets as updates are not accurate. So if the DS states it went into production 3/1.... but really it went into production 2/20 what is the point?

It feels like more of an annoyance than a benefit.

I would assume the factory has to have a way of tracking what is going through it? Simply for logistic purposes.

I am not comparing it to anything..... however Tesla offers these updates to consumers.... if it is not working do not offer it. Simply say you will get your car late march and will get a call when its at the Delivery Center.

If you offer something to the consumer it would be nice to have it somewhat accurate. I am referring to your post saying what the DS gets as updates are not accurate. So if the DS states it went into production 3/1.... but really it went into production 2/20 what is the point?

It feels like more of an annoyance than a benefit.
And I know it's not a reliable method, but what's your VIN? What options do you have?

Just an update:

It appears my 2/20 completed P100D has the old MCU, so I won't be taking delivery tomorrow. However, they offered to roll my $2,500 to my new order (so I have $5,000 down on it). Great customer service.

I've waited years, what's a few more months? The one disappointment is I was planning a road trip for early May that I planned just because I'd have the Tesla. Maybe I'll rent one instead.

Just an update:

It appears my 2/20 completed P100D has the old MCU, so I won't be taking delivery tomorrow. However, they offered to roll my $2,500 to my new order (so I have $5,000 down on it). Great customer service.

I've waited years, what's a few more months? The one disappointment is I was planning a road trip for early May that I planned just because I'd have the Tesla. Maybe I'll rent one instead.

That's pretty much the best case scenario you could ask for after hearing that your order was not including the updated MCU.

Do you know of ANY other auto maker that does that? Daily reports.....

I'm curious what you're comparing this to - dealership ordering?

BMW's approach wasn't as bad as Tesla's ... it was way, way worse. Online vehicle order progress portal told you nothing and was wildly outdated and inaccurate. The BMW-recommended info route -- corporate folks at an 800 number -- proved the same. They recommended that you call the dealer, who had access to "real" updates. And, the dealer got pissy about the whole thing.

Ended up canceling order in frustration and moving to Audi. Audi at least had a systemwide way of checking for vehicles in dealer inventory (a la Tesla) rather than forcing you to check dealership by dealership. Eliminated the need to order and wait.

All in all, the oft-aggravating Tesla system is by no means the worst.

Definitely not Tesla's strongest point, though. And, definitely one which would seem easily fixable. If FedEx, UPS, and USPS can scan/track a $7 package, certainly Tesla ought to be able to RFID or bar code and track $50K and $100K cars.

Just an update:

Great news! Did it take much griping to get the deposit rolled over?

The annoying thing about the way Tesla does this is that you are always rolling the dice when you order a car. You have no idea if you are just going to miss a somewhat important hardware change. All other manufacturers, you know what you are getting with their model year refreshes. And it’s your choice to buy the older model year at a discount, or pay more for the latest model year.

We've already seen builds 2018.6.50 and 2018.10.1 on new MCU2 cars. We haven't seen those builds on MCU1 cars.

EV-FW has user 'preilly4' reporting 2018.10.1 on a Model 3, vin 0030xx. Teslafi.com has 2018.10.1 recorded on a different Model 3 VIN 004XXX (TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger).

Where did you see 2018.10.1 on a MS/MX? It would be very interesting if they are releasing the same firmware across all model lines.

If you've ever been on a Fremont factory tour, they track everything down to which parts go into which car. So yeah, they can track VINs through production. It's just who has access to the most accurate/up to date info that is key.

EV-FW has user 'preilly4' reporting 2018.10.1 on a Model 3, vin 0030xx. Teslafi.com has 2018.10.1 recorded on a different Model 3 VIN 004XXX (TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger).

Where did you see 2018.10.1 on a MS/MX? It would be very interesting if they are releasing the same firmware across all model lines.

If you've ever been on a Fremont factory tour, they track everything down to which parts go into which car. So yeah, they can track VINs through production. It's just who has access to the most accurate/up to date info that is key.
I'm checking with @DÆrik . He filmed a video of a new Model S delivery on Wednesday and the car had 2018.6.50. Later, he said "He already got an update to 2018.10.1" and I thought he was referring to the Model S that he had just recorded the video on. It is possible he was referring to a different "he". :confused:

Not really. They can offer MCU upgrades in older cars without 5G wifi support or phone-as-key BT antennas. They can re-use the IC display (it's just an LCD panel afterall) without the separate submodule controlling it. Or keep the IC intact and drive it "the old way" via ethernet. And no new harness is needed, the goal would be to build a "drop in" MCU replacement.

I don't think anyone can say it will or won't happen. But it's definitely possible and not that hard.

While I would like the ability to use my phone as a key, I would be ok with the above. Atleast not missing out on major upgrades in the future which would require the new MCU would be nice.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The annoying thing about the way Tesla does this is that you are always rolling the dice when you order a car. You have no idea if you are just going to miss a somewhat important hardware change. All other manufacturers, you know what you are getting with their model year refreshes. And it’s your choice to buy the older model year at a discount, or pay more for the latest model year.

This mentality drives me more insane than I am already...

Rolling the dice??? You get what you paid for - no dice rolling.

If you are lucky you might receive an upgrade that was above what your expectations and purchase cost.

I seriously doubt when you trade the car in 3-5 years later the dealer will worry about what MCU you have. I might even argue in 5 years the number of old MCU 2018 cars will be so small - the down rev MCU people will receive the same trade in value as the new MCU cars.

Great news! Did it take much griping to get the deposit rolled over?

None. It was offered before I even asked. I do get the sense that they give some red carpet treatment to the P100D S/X purchasers given the cost of the vehicle (and probably will with the 2020 Roadster), but I've also developed a good relationship with my Sr. Owner/Advisor.