Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Owners Have Priority Model 3 Orders Over Non-Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on a 3/31 deposit, looking at the mid-range of options for Model 3. As a current owner and investor, I'm also anxious for mass EV adoption. I'm hoping that some low optioned 35K cars are delivered early. An initial slew of heavily optioned 85K Model 3's would likely debut to wonderful media reviews, except they'll get scorched on the price tag. During the early production run, cranking out some 35K priced vehicles would reflect sincere intent, while also shutting down many critics.

I'm planning on a 3/31 deposit, looking at the mid-range of options for Model 3. As a current owner and investor, I'm also anxious for mass EV adoption. I'm hoping that some low optioned 35K cars are delivered early. An initial slew of heavily optioned 85K Model 3's would likely debut to wonderful media reviews, except they'll get scorched on the price tag. During the early production run, cranking out some 35K priced vehicles would reflect sincere intent, while also shutting down many critics.

While true, I think Tesla will survive it just fine. There was some bashing about Tesla not rolling out (and later, essentially cancelling) the 50k EV they promised, and people got over it.

Tesla did the right thing by giving their owner's priority over non owners. They contributed to the success of Tesla. Model 3 wouldn't be possible if they didn't endured all the growing pain of EV technology. Model 3 is a mass market EV. It competes with BMW 3 and Audi 4 series. Its not a Toyota Camry competitor. I read a lot of comments in this thread that this decision goes against the "mass market" concept. I disagree. Its just an affordable product from an premium car maker. And if people have a problem with missing out the federal tax credit, they should ask their government or representative to extend them. Its not Tesla's fault that you will be missing out on them. And please don't make it a rich vs poor argument. Tesla isn't the government. Its a business which aims at making profit so it is going to take decisions that increases its financial health. And I am surprised people are criticizing a company that has single handedly started the EV revolution and was determined to make an affordable car. Please don't judge them your misguided sense of righteousness.

They contributed to the success of Tesla. Model 3 wouldn't be possible if they didn't endured all the growing pain of EV technology.

Jeez, I really do feel for all those that had to suffer through the hardship of owning a Model S these past few years. I obviously think the response to Tesla and the risks taken by early adopters is something to be appreciative of, but I have a hard time feeling like they are "owed" anything. Their reward was to be on the cutting edge of automotive technology years before most people would be able to afford it, no further payback is needed.

Now obviously Tesla has the prerogative to do whatever it wants, but it needs to be careful here. It is the interest and the enthusiasm of people who can't afford a $100,000 car that will drive Tesla in the future, and it will be necessary to find balance between rewarding their old customers and not appearing elitist to potential new customers.

Jeez, I really do feel for all those that had to suffer through the hardship of owning a Model S these past few years. I obviously think the response to Tesla and the risks taken by early adopters is something to be appreciative of, but I have a hard time feeling like they are "owed" anything. Their reward was to be on the cutting edge of automotive technology years before most people would be able to afford it, no further payback is needed.

Now obviously Tesla has the prerogative to do whatever it wants, but it needs to be careful here. It is the interest and the enthusiasm of people who can't afford a $100,000 car that will drive Tesla in the future, and it will be necessary to find balance between rewarding their old customers and not appearing elitist to potential new customers.
Tesla owes nothing to anyone. Yet, it is appreciating all the pain that owners have been through in this journey. There is no such thing as "we are even now". Tesla is improving its brand loyalty too. There would be many customers who would just order a loaded Model 3 because they have a priority here. Its good customer service.
Yet again, Tesla doesn't owe anyone anything. It's building a great car. These people aren't throwing Tesla a bone. They are only lining up because Tesla build some of the best cars out there. If someone frowns upon this decision because they cant understand whats happening, its not Tesla's fault. They are the company that is building the 1st mass market EV. People should direct there anger towards BMW, Audi etc. Maybe then they will consider moving fast with their EVs.

And I am surprised people are criticizing a company that has single handedly started the EV revolution and was determined to make an affordable car.
So Tesla can never do anything wrong and no negative things should be said about Tesla ever? Interesting viewpoint especially since critique is something that is generally needed to improve the current situation. Rest of my post are not directed towards your post.

What is also strange that people talk about current Tesla owners as if they are some sort of saints who just threw money at Tesla without getting anything in return so they deserve the ability to cut in line. Well guess what, they got the product they were paying for.

That being said, I do believe that it is healthy for a company to value their current customers. I just find it to be a shame that Tesla's way of valuating their current customers seems to be by making non-owners feel like second hand citizens.

Edit: fixing typos

Do you think that's what will happen? That new customers will be turned off because they perceive Tesla as elitist? I think what is more likely to happen is the demand will outpace the supply in the beginning and the M3 will be even more desired because it's hard to get. That with the prestige of the Tesla name will still make it a success. Also, bear in mind the ramp isn't going to be fully up for a while. People who have been following Tesla realize that (even non owners) so in the very beginning it's likely to be slow going - in the meantime there will be plenty of buzz to get people talking.

I think those of us here on this board have a skewed perspective when it comes to EVs. MANY people I talk with are still totally in the dark about Tesla - have no idea how I drive 180 miles one way for my commute with an electric car. They are definitely interested when I give them the Tesla speel - but I would say only those of us with EVs already or those who are ready but waiting to make the transition (likely because they know someone with an EV, or they've taken the time to educate themselves, like people here) are in the minority BIG TIME.

The Model S/X Volt Leaf etc is the beginning of the s-curve of EVs. But I do believe the M3 will start the curve upwards and competitors will follow...that does not happen overnight. Right now Tesla is the best choice out there so I don't think people are going to be turned off over the delivery priorities immediately following a launch that is years away. :)

So Tesla can never do anything wrong and no negative things should be said about Tesla ever? Interesting viewpoint especially since critique is something that is generally needed to improve the current situation. Rest of my post are not directed towards your post.

What is also strange that people talk about current Tesla owners as if they are some sort of saints who just threw money at Tesla without getting anything in return so they deserve the ability to cut in line. Well guess what, they got the product they were paying for.

That being said, I do believe that it is healthy for a company to value their current customers. I just find it to be a shame that Tesla's way of valuating their current customers seems to be by making non-owners feel like second hand citizens.

I never said Tesla cant do anything wrong. Please feel free to criticise it. However, this is a place of discussion and if I find a comment that I think is unjustified criticism of Tesla, i will respond to it. I agree with your opinion about the importance of criticism. We are debating here the premise this criticism is based upon and whether it is justified or not.
Tesla owners are not saint. Being a Tesla owner is hardly a qualifier for being a good person. You are also right in stating that they got what they paid for. But I disagree with the notion that they threw their money. They purchased a costly unproven product from a young company. This product gave them so many problems. Yet, a lot of them never raised a frown because they trusted Tesla. It's an unique relationship which cant be understood only in monetary terms. This is Tesla's way of saying "Thank You" to all those owners who were the flag bearers for their cars. They fought all the negativity, they gave their personal time when someone asked questions about the car. It was not about money, it was trust in something much more.
Second hand citizens? Why? You will be getting the same car that an owner is going to get. A brand new car. You will only get it after them. Showing appreciation to someone doesn't mean they are disrespecting you guys. I am not an owner but I have read a staggering amount of posts from owners on the forums. You should just wait till you become an owner. Tesla treats all of its owners like royalty.

Not saints, but definitely people that went out on a limb and "threw" their money at an unproven platform that had tons of kinks to work out, deal with a company going through growing pains, and also deal with sporadic refueling options. It's definitely a nice way of saying thank you for being there with us.

And you're definitely not a second-class citizen. Get off your high horse.

Not saints, but definitely people that went out on a limb and "threw" their money at an unproven platform that had tons of kinks to work out, deal with a company going through growing pains, and also deal with sporadic refueling options. It's definitely a nice way of saying thank you for being there with us.

And you're definitely not a second-class citizen. Get off your high horse.

Lets not forget those who waited YEARS for their model S - even more years for their X. Yes, there are definitely kinks and they are still occurring. Talk to a Model X owner who spent 130K on a spiffed up SUV and then had it immediately spend weeks at the service center. Twice in January I had to take my S in and both times saw different model Xs.

And wow, lets talk with some of the REALLY early adopters who didn't even have a supercharger network. Or to those who now live on the edge or range for SCs, or who have none still, or who have no service centers within 200 miles because their states are assholes, or no service centers in their COUNTRY for that matter.

Or how some live over an hour or more away from their service center (like me) and have to spend an entire day to get an annoying but not major issue dealt with. And do it happily because we still love our car. And were willing to overlook those things even though others thought we were nuts. Or the guy who hasn't had his car for 7 weeks because Tesla can't source the rivets to reattach his rear bumper?

Or those who shelled out REAL MONEY for a car they fell in love from a company they believed in not knowing if the company would still be around in a couple of years and they'd be stuck with an overpriced computer on wheels that couldn't be serviced or repaired? And if the company went under the supercharger network could go POOF and then they'd be screwed if they needed to go anywhere far with their overpriced computer?

These issues are ALL faced by "early adopters" and will for a while - in fact I'd say the early Model 3 buyers will be early adopters too, since the service centers and supercharger network isn't quite there yet.

And this belief that because someone is "rich" enough to get the car they want but can't have that makes the ones who could afford it ELITE - not that maybe they worked hard through life to get to that point, or made good financial decisions, or whatever....forgetting that many went way out of their usual budget to buy a car from a man whose vision they shared - just like many will do with the Model 3. no that doesn't even occur to some people. Maybe society should get rid of ALL loyalty programs because god forbid we offend anyone.

And bottom line: this is how Tesla has always done it. They have done it with each reservation process - because for the millionth time - those owners, with their purchase, are what made R and D and infrastructure possible to begin with. That was spelled out by the company from the very beginning. Go back and read....it's all there. So why this is surprising or why anyone feels THIS TIME should be different is beyond me - regardless of the belief that "this car" should be different.

I mean I have every sympathy for those who feel bummed. And it's fine to feel bummed. But not fine to disparage the owners or the company. Not fine to think the company owes you anything. Not fine to feel entitled over this.

Interesting opinions here. Very interesting that some people are indignant and feel they are owed something by a company they have yet to do business with.

Sorry. End rant.

Last edited:
Actually, all due respect to those posters above who say they understand Tesla's decision I must say I don't at all. And since I feel this is a F you to the people who can't afford an S or X I feel like saying well F you Tesla Motors.

Yes I'm being blunt.

Potential 3 owners aren't the same as S owners. We can't afford either an S or an X. We probably haven't even bought a $50,000 car before - yes it's $50K in Australia because we have no EV incentives. But speaking for me I would stretch to a $50K model 3 to support Tesla and get the best, longest range EV.

I was going to camp out on the 31st, even though by the timings it looks pointless as in Australia the store closes at 9pm which makes it 5am or something PST. So I'm assuming that means it's the 31st for USA (the centre of the universe) and and the 1st for the online orders even though half the World has been on the 31st and first for a full half day already by the time it reaches that point in PST. Global as per Elon's tweet means USA global I guess.

Since I'm ranting....so the mass market version of the car which is supposed to make it more accessible is now being made available to current owners first, potentially 50,000, 60,000, 100,000 by the time it's starting production, it could be a very long time before non-tesla owners get one. Took 3 years to get a Model S down under, the X is 4 years to build, shipping a couple of hundred a week and doesn't look like landing down under until early 2017.

So on that sort of estimate I'm thinking early 2018 for reasonable numbers to start coming off the production line, USA orders first, Tesla owners orders first and then trickle down to Oz. I'm looking at a car in 2019. Forget it. There'll be other manufacturer options by then. Nissan has a bigger battery leaf now and in 2-3 more years might have a 300km range one. Merc, BMW etc aren't going to sit on their hands.

I consider myself a Tesla fan, still take photos on my phone every time I see one, have refused to test drive one as I know if I do I will sign on the dotted line even though I can't afford one (I've sat in many different S's on display and at car shows but I'm scared to turn it on). I like the Company, the mission etc. But am I prepared to give Tesla an interest free loan for 3 years and queue up to give them publicity when I know many 10's of thousands of people are getting priority over my order just because they're able to afford an expensive car?! There's the have's and the have not's and the haves keep having.

So I think I'm going to keep my grand and in two more years some depreciated Model S's will hit the second hand market and be more affordable and that'll be the car to buy. Then when we hit 2018 and know how Tesla is tracking to deliver 3's I can always order and wait a few months for delivery but it won't matter as much if I'm driving an S.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment. I am in the same boat. I have NEVER bought a car even CLOSE to 50k but my wife and I discussed it and we feel that we can make it work to support Tesla and the environment. Lucky for me I live in the US and will get mine before all of you International buyers (sorry). But so many of us that couldn't afford an S or X have been waiting for years for this car to come out and have saved our money to through down $1000 to reserve our spots in line. I may be dreaming here, but I am just hoping that during the reveal that Elon recognizes those of us who waited all night in line to reserve our spot for the 3 and moves us up to the top of the list. I know it is a pipe dream, but it is the only way I see myself getting this car before 2019.
The only silver lining that may come of this, is that is does sound like a lot of S owners are moving to the 3 and when that happens their may be a ton of CPO S's out there for us to buy in the 50k to 60k range. Only time will tell.

Based on my experience reserving a Model S in late 2012, I don't think prioritizing current Tesla owners will cause that much of a delay for others that reserve a Model 3 on the 31st. I had reservation number 16,132 (placed in December 2012) and I got Model S VIN 5,785 delivered on March 2nd 2013. I got my car long before many people who placed reservations well before me (some of them roadster owners who were supposed to get priority over me) and I think I had two factors working in my favor. First, I got basically the same configuration as the demo car I test drove so I knew the factory was already building cars similar to what I ordered. Second, I was able to take delivery at the factory near the end of the quarter when Tesla was trying to deliver as many cars as possible by the end of the month. Choosing the coil suspension, 60 kWh battery, or red paint color almost certainly would have delayed the delivery by several months. Not picking options like the performance drivetrain, sunroof, 21 inch wheels, or second charger didn't seem to make any difference (or perhaps even helped since installing the sunroof is extra effort and at one point they had a shortage of 21" tires). Once Model 3 production really ramps up, I bet the biggest factor will be picking configurations that Tesla can build the quickest.

Now I will admit that I will be placing a reservation for a Model 3 on March 31 instead of my wife even though it will primarily be her car since I will get a small advantage for being a current Model S owner. The lease on our BMW i3 BEV ends in late 2017 and we are trying to minimize the time we have to rent something or otherwise fill the gap between the end of the i3 lease and when the Model 3 arrives. But I highly doubt this small advantage will make a difference when it comes to getting the car before the tax credit expires. Besides, the tax credit is such a huge deal that I am sure Tesla will do all sorts of things to make sure most people that reserve the Model 3 on the first day will get the tax credit (prioritize foreign deliveries for a few months, shut down production while they optimize every little detail, etc.)

I am curious, however, regarding one thing: For all the forum members fussing about the tax credit and worrying they won't receive it ... how many of you have contacted your legislator? They are the people who can actually do something about this.

Well, yeah. Way too reasonable. I could spend time grelling about the unFAIRness of all the extra incentives provided in CA or CO or other states who do incentives... Or spend energy prodding my own state to do something similar! I ain't entitled to a HOV Lane Pass Sticker until "Eed Plebnista" gets the law changed to say that an EV is so entitled in TX. And by "Eed Plebnista" I mean US.

Pointing at "incentives that rich people are getting from buying electric cars" is a Koch Bros thing. Not a good look for us, in my humble opinion.

Prefacing this as a Model S owner also looking to put a deposit down on a Model 3.

I can understand those who have been waiting a long time for the Model 3, I was one of those people until the CPO program came along. I thought, I am going to spend $x dollars on a Model 3 anyway, why wait another 2-3 years, instead find a nice S close to that price point and go for it.

There were already $35k S60 CPOs. I expect there will be many more within the next two years. If you want a car earlier, and you want to support Tesla, this is the way to go. Honestly having been in the S for almost a month I can't believe I almost went down the alternate path of waiting another two years.

However some may still want to wait for the 'new' thing. Fine, but when it comes to 'Owners shouldn't be first', well, this is no different than any other company rewarding its loyal customers. I cruise on Royal Caribbean a lot and receive plenty of perks, including 'front of the line'. I fly United for work and receive perks, including 'front of the line'. Not much different with the approach Tesla is taking.

I'm just going to be the first on the 31st, put down my deposit, then go with the flow. ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE!!

Ditto. I'm not sweating this stuff.

Yeah, the Model 3 will be expensive for me, but at least it'll still be less than a Model S. Furthermore, reserving on the 31st will hopefully get me a "chance" at a full tax credit. I'm really not depending on the credit to afford the car. That being said, it will still be the most expensive car I've ever purchased.

A parent pushes his children out the door and watches to see them do well.

Model S/X and Roadster owners should step aside and let the general public come in and get theirs ahead of them.

Why do S/X people need to be in line ahead anyway? I don't know if I can understand the issue fully. If you're happy with the S, is it that they must be first in line to get a 3 for their spouse or children or to scalp them in some early-trade when they first come out? Surely the wealthier buyer can get one, take the tax credit and re-sell it for nearly the sticker price to someone who cannot take the tax credit themselves and make some money on it. Is this really a fair market being setup?

If demand is really that good, there is no need for preference. If there really is preference - put roadster owners first. Those cars are comically small :) Then put conquest buyers next - those trading in a Leaf or Volt or whatever. Isn't the desire to get people to "convert"?

I'm not sure why anyone outside of the U.S. would be concerned about previous owners getting priority. There isn't a tax rebate issue to deal with, and places like Australia just don't buy enough cars for the number of previous owners to really block a non-owner. Likely all of the existing owner orders could be fulfilled within a single quarter for some place like Australia, or Austria for that matter.

Now, for U.S. purchasers, there is a danger of not getting the full rebate probably somewhere within the first 50-75k vehicles. It depends on the speed of Tesla's ramp, and I'm guessing that U.S. purchasers will get priority in 2018. There's probably about 40k Model S/X original purchasers now and so by the time the Model 3 comes, if every Model S/X owner also buys a Model 3, then it would be an issue. But how likely is that? In any case, I'm thinking somewhere around 100,000 or so Model 3's can be made in 2018. We also don't know what effect this will have on Model S/X sales in 2017 and 2018 in the U.S.

The real answer is to alter the tax credit law in the U.S. have a better scheme for phase out. Instead of per manufacturer, the incentive should be industry wide. Phase out should begin at 1 million EVs, regardless of manufacturer. And the phase out should be gentler... 100% for the quarter during the crossover and the next quarter, then 75% of the rebate in the next 6 months, then 50% for the next 6 months, then 25% for the next year, then 0. That way laggard manufacturers don't get a leg up on the pioneers. Don't forget there are still some state incentives.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
For those who are disappointed regarding the priority of the M3 deliveries keep in mind that the federal tax credit reduces 2 quarters after Tesla sells its 200k car in the U.S. Unless their is a significant delay all early reservation holders should get the tax credit.

Now instead of bashing Tesla, why not sign a petition to renew this tax credit program (I recall a TMC member already filed one). Also, this can vary based on the next presidential election and his/her views towards electric cars. If Trump wins I'll have other things to worry about and "tax credit" won't be my priority :)