Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S&X Price Adjustments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 1.27.34 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 1.27.46 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 1.27.55 PM.jpg

Reactions: BrianGragg
Or 6 weeks ago, like me... I wish Tesla would have a little compassion for those who buy right before an unexpected announcement of changes in price or features.
Most companies don’t change their prices like Tesla. It feels like the stock market with them. Can change daily. What they are doing currently won’t make current owners comfortable buying from them again.

Name a car dealer that would offer a post sale price adjustment after a markdown?
Name a car dealer (or better yet a car company) that changes their normal price (not sale/promo price) for a vehicle by $20k overnight.

Or for that matter name any product (phone, laptop, etc) that has a huge price adjustment month to month. I’ve never seen an Apple product go from being $1000 to $700 for the exact same model/version that you just bought yesterday.

I think Elon’s Asperger’s causes unstability at all levels in all his companies.

Most companies don’t change their prices like Tesla. It feels like the stock market with them. Can change daily. What they are doing currently won’t make current owners comfortable buying from them again.
I know!!! I was just on Reddit and saw someone posting about the price drops and my heart dropped with it. You're correct, I don't feel comfortable buying another Tesla because of how they keep dropping prices. I think I saw a post here or another forum that someone was trying to sell their new (either 2022 or 2023) MX with just 15K miles on it but the dealers won't give them a quote or lowballed it because they know Tesla drops their prices like crazy and they don't want to lose money. This will impact the resale value of the cars for sure and I don't think it's going to make owners comfy buying another Tesla (or at least the more expensive models). It's really sad.

I wonder if there's any advice for those that would like to not continue losing money. Should we sell the car and get another car that's more stable in price right now before any further drop or just wait it out after 5 years and get another car? I'd really like to know. Thanks if anyone could provide any insights.

I know!!! I was just on Reddit and saw someone posting about the price drops and my heart dropped with it. You're correct, I don't feel comfortable buying another Tesla because of how they keep dropping prices. I think I saw a post here or another forum that someone was trying to sell their new (either 2022 or 2023) MX with just 15K miles on it but the dealers won't give them a quote or lowballed it because they know Tesla drops their prices like crazy and they don't want to lose money. This will impact the resale value of the cars for sure and I don't think it's going to make owners comfy buying another Tesla (or at least the more expensive models). It's really sad.
Tesla needs another leader. Elon is not doing anyone any favors. It’s just a matter of time where the competition is going to offer better built cars, better resale value and they treat their customers very well.

Tesla just eliminated many top paying customers from being loyal to them. There are people that paid $140k for the plaid just months ago and now they sell it for $90k. Imagine selling your plaid in the used market for $70k when you bought it for $140k. $70k lost in the matter of months.

Why the f*** would that customer ever want to buy another Tesla.

It does suck. but it's the name of the game. If you buy an iPhone from Apple Store a few days before they release the new one it drops in price instantly once they reveal new one, which incidentally will be Sept 12th lol.

I'm not excited either, I just bought a used 2020 MS month and half ago from Tesla and would love to sell and upgrade to newer S but these price drops are making it hard to get any kind of value out of it. We didnt know they would offer the rear screen in the M3 so they are price adjusting along all their cars as well as for cars with competition. I figured the refreshed M3 would cause some price adjustments but didnt realize it would affect upper models as much. Part of it is im sure they were getting flack for offering the mid range S for 10,000 with same battery pack just locked things down, so they probably decided to just keep full options and keep the same "mid range" price. which if you look at it that way is a great deal.

TBH I knew it was coming and had thoughts of maybe I should wait but I didnt listen to that thought and just went for this killer deal. lol oh well. cant blame anyone but me.

It happens for recent buyers, it sucks but it will continue to happen. Just have to try and get in at the right time.

I do love my car but would love to get refreshed MS or even the new Highland. anyone want to buy mine so I can buy one of those.... thought so.

Tesla needs another leader. Elon is not doing anyone any favors. It’s just a matter of time where the competition is going to offer better built cars, better resale value and they treat their customers very well.

Tesla just eliminated many top paying customers from being loyal to them. There are people that paid $140k for the plaid just months ago and now they sell it for $90k. Imagine selling your plaid in the used market for $70k when you bought it for $140k. $70k lost in the matter of months.

I agree!!! I'm really upset right now so I may be saying the wrong things (hope no one gets offended in any way) but I'm just very disappointed. Yeah, other people had it worse than me for sure. Those that bought like a MXP at 140K was already mad when it dropped to 110K and now more drop and who knows what's next. It just hurts me because my hubby had gotten it for me for my bday and I feel really bad that it just lost 20K+. I'm really concerned on the resale for sure and as you said, most likely I will look elsewhere moving forward with better build quality and resale value.

Last edited:
It is a strategic move to fit the MX right under the 80K tax credit threshold. Very reasonable decision if you ask me. BTW. if resale is your biggest concern, get a Porsche. Of course, from someone that does was not burned by this. LOL
I agree, there were many members here mentioning that it be great for Tesla to get it under 80K for the tax credit. Yeah thanks for the input, should've gotten a Porsche instead!

Reactions: Eric33432

Another problem is the destabilization of the used/trade in market. People will have trouble even getting a fair price at the new discounted prices because dealers will want to price in a possible future price decline to hedge against their chances of taking a loss. This puts people that have to sell or trade in their vehicle in a very disadvantageous position. If the price cuts on your vehicles are causing this sort of problem, then you have probably gone too far.

Name a car dealer (or better yet a car company) that changes their normal price (not sale/promo price) for a vehicle by $20k overnight.

Or for that matter name any product (phone, laptop, etc) that has a huge price adjustment month to month. I’ve never seen an Apple product go from being $1000 to $700 for the exact same model/version that you just bought yesterday.

I think Elon’s Asperger’s causes unstability at all levels in all his companies.

I bought a house. The price tanked. Who do I blame?