Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S&X Price Adjustments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am beginning to think that there is already someone making the decisions for Tesla. Elon appears to be a paper CEO for Tesla. He seems to be more focused on X and SpaceX. I think he is ready to step down as Tesla’s CEO. The last huge price drop was very un-Elon-like. Yes, he dropped prices before but not in this magnitude. He usually cares about Tesla owners or maybe he changed. I dont know how TSLA stock would react to that.

He usually cares about Tesla owners...

Eh? What? Someone actually thinks Musk cares about owners?

Elon cars about Tesla buyers, because they pay money for products, and Elon gets Revenue or EBITDA multiples on his equity position with TSLA. If he gave a damn about owners, he would have addressed the service network's failings a long time ago.

I am beginning to think that there is already someone making the decisions for Tesla. Elon appears to be a paper CEO for Tesla. He seems to be more focused on X and SpaceX. I think he is ready to step down as Tesla’s CEO. The last huge price drop was very un-Elon-like. Yes, he dropped prices before but not in this magnitude. He usually cares about Tesla owners or maybe he changed. I dont know how TSLA stock would react to that.
TSLA might actually go up as his image/reputation has been damaging Tesla.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Elon is the CEO of Tesla and he is free to bring the price up and down for the best interest of the company. You are the customer who is free to buy or not to buy from the company. I think you know full well before buying that Tesla had been hiking up the prices. I “lost” $20k from my XLR too after several price drops. It could have beeen more if I bought at the peak price. But I couldn’t blame Tesla because I knew that adjusting price is what they keep doing based on supply and demand. I think it’s best to move on.
Oh don't worry we are definitely moving on but just making it clear that buying a Tesla isn't much better than buying from a dealership. Same tactics and the markup part is more hidden. I would love to know what the "true" MSRP is of a Tesla so we can know how much it's marked up at any point in time.

There is and it's the law. MSRP must be stated on the Monroney sticker which is what the $7500 cap is based on.
Yes sir, I stand corrected.
Screenshot_20230907_114819_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: sorka
Products should be priced right so they don’t need to drop and are already at a good value. They shouldn’t really go up or go down (aside from sales/promotions short term, or a newer version has arrived that has more features and performance).

That is is ideal. And surprisingly most companies selling direct to consumers already do this!
What’s the right price though? Isn’t it based on demand? Home values are higher when everyone wants one but when the economy is down you can get it easily. Cars were different but Tesla changed it…lot of folks sold their teslas with 10k profit in 2020-2021…what about that? You can’t have it both ways

What’s the right price though? Isn’t it based on demand? Home values are higher when everyone wants one but when the economy is down you can get it easily. Cars were different but Tesla changed it…lot of folks sold their teslas with 10k profit in 2020-2021…what about that? You can’t have it both ways
The right price is applying a profit margin that is competitive and can buffer some of the ups/downs. Tesla had little competition, and they took advantage with some excessive gouging that would even put some car dealers to shame.

Ask yourself if products you buy from manufacturers change in price month to month? I had the pleasure of buying a whole set of appliances for a new house and the price did not change even with 1yr wait. I also bought a few Apple products during the pandemic with about 3-4 month wait. Price again was fixed and did not change during the pandemic, nor did it change post pandemic.

This is exactly what consumers are used to when buying products and is an expectation. Again the only exception is a sale which is usually for a short period of time and everyone knows the price goes back. The other exception is the new model comes in and of course everyone wants the new one in which case they discount the old one.

Consumers expect a similar thing from Tesla a product company selling directly to consumers. What they don’t expect is dealer like or worse than dealer like gouging.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. This will likely not happen again. Competition is here and moves like this will lose customers from returning or spreading anything positive about the brand.

The right price is applying a profit margin that is competitive and can buffer some of the ups/downs. Tesla had little competition, and they took advantage with some excessive gouging that would even put some car dealers to shame.

Ask yourself if products you buy from manufacturers change in price month to month? I had the pleasure of buying a whole set of appliances for a new house and the price did not change even with 1yr wait. I also bought a few Apple products during the pandemic with about 3-4 month wait. Price again was fixed and did not change during the pandemic, nor did it change post pandemic.

This is exactly what consumers are used to when buying products and is an expectation. Again the only exception is a sale which is usually for a short period of time and everyone knows the price goes back. The other exception is the new model comes in and of course everyone wants the new one in which case they discount the old one.

Consumers expect a similar thing from Tesla a product company selling directly to consumers. What they don’t expect is dealer like or worse than dealer like gouging.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. This will likely not happen again. Competition is here and moves like this will lose customers from returning or spreading anything positive about the brand.
I understand what you are saying, but Teslas were overpriced to begin with. The Model Y at 68k was overpriced but everyone was lining up to buy it..people who could afford it went for it. Musk himself said his cars were overpriced and not affordable and he wanted to change that. Early adopters always pay more..I doubt moves like this will lose customers. Everyone wants a Tesla because of its network..I have a model y and it doesn’t have rear traffic cross alert
Or simple features like parking sensors. But would I buy another EV? Probably not…other EVs are not where they need to be with their charging network and their dealer BS

The right price is ... [snip]
I get it, and it seems you do too. Tesla is not a typical manufacturer. Tesla has been Tesla for 15 years now. Fun fact: GM has been GM for 115 years.

The legacy automakers want some of the Tesla pie. Tesla promotes EV adoption and is happy to share.

People say Tesla should be some other company. But Tesla will always be doing what Tesla does.

Reactions: Jimboy435
I understand what you are saying, but Teslas were overpriced to begin with. The Model Y at 68k was overpriced but everyone was lining up to buy it..people who could afford it went for it. Musk himself said his cars were overpriced and not affordable and he wanted to change that. Early adopters always pay more..I doubt moves like this will lose customers. Everyone wants a Tesla because of its network..I have a model y and it doesn’t have rear traffic cross alert
Or simple features like parking sensors. But would I buy another EV? Probably not…other EVs are not where they need to be with their charging network and their dealer BS
I agree about the charging which was the main advantage of a Tesla. Elon has opened that up to other brands. Seven major brands to use Teslas network. More Automakers to Use Tesla Superchargers. Here's What You Need to Know. - Consumer Reports

Electrify America has also come along quite well. The Tesla charge advantage is fading.

Competition is always good and where Tesla lacks (quality, customer service) will need to be addressed very soon.

Mercedes, Porsche, BMW already have some compelling EVs that are built better than Tesla. Apple is coming to the game as well.

Bright future for EVs 🙂

The devil is in the details regarding standardizing on NACS as the EV charging method. Tesla just has to make sure that the Tesla charging experience far exceeds any other users.

Those other NACS auto manufacturers will have to physically redesign their vehicles just to have the supercharger cord be long enough. Other supercharger users at a site will not put up with non-Tesla users parking askew taking up 3 spots to jury rig a supercharger cord to fit their car. It will take years for the other manufacturers to redesign their charge port locations, and being an engineer myself, you can bet the other companies will have engineers that refuse to put the connector in the back left of their designs.

Non-Teslas will not have the real time view in navigation to see how many spots are currently open at every charging station. I use this constantly and would never buy another EV that is missing realtime supercharger availability visibility.

Tesla will charge more cents per kWh for foreign vehicles, so you will save on energy costs every charge if you own a Tesla.

Tesla is only offering a percentage of the superchargers to non-Tesla cars.

Non-Tesla's will charge at a much slower rate than Tesla's.

Once non-Tesla owners understand how superior the Tesla charging experience is, they will be motivated to buy (or stick with) Tesla.

Assuming Tesla has not thought this through and has no plan to differentiate their vehicles is foolish. Standardizing the connector is smart planning for Tesla's future. But there is way more to the supercharging experience than just the plug. It's like saying all computers are equivalent if they simply share the same plug. The software and the user experience are way more important than the plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
Can you image if Tesla did commercials like Apple iphones
And showed the value of fuel vs EV and the rebates & incentive vs ice vehicles? People are just unaware of what is available for cars. For a company that has no commercial or sponsorship endorsement. Tesla is on the right track . The cars sellls itself.

I agree about the charging which was the main advantage of a Tesla. Elon has opened that up to other brands. Seven major brands to use Teslas network. More Automakers to Use Tesla Superchargers. Here's What You Need to Know. - Consumer Reports

Electrify America has also come along quite well. The Tesla charge advantage is fading.

Competition is always good and where Tesla lacks (quality, customer service) will need to be addressed very soon.

Mercedes, Porsche, BMW already have some compelling EVs that are built better than Tesla. Apple is coming to the game as well.

Bright future for EVs 🙂
As I’ve said earlier I understand your displeasure. These items you outline are quite subjective but the only one I will disagree with is the comment on EA, it’s not anywhere approaching the super charger network. Ubiquity, locations, number of ports, reliability are all not in a good place. I’ve taken very long road trips in my Taycan and my previous F150 L. I did significant planning to work around potential issues, which there some. One thing you cannot work around is the locations, theyare generally not in as good a location as super chargers. They usually further from the interstate and quite often in some sketchy spots.

when I road trip my tesla, I do no planning other than put in the destination and go, live rerouting for congested chargers is great. The charging AI for navigation is far better than others, Genesis for example has no charging in their navigation. I have no issue taking my non-Tesla cars, and will doing 2200 miles round trip in the fall with one, but I wouldn’t compare it to Tesla SC experience.

As I’ve said earlier I understand your displeasure. These items you outline are quite subjective but the only one I will disagree with is the comment on EA, it’s not anywhere approaching the super charger network. Ubiquity, locations, number of ports, reliability are all not in a good place. I’ve taken very long road trips in my Taycan and my previous F150 L. I did significant planning to work around potential issues, which there some. One thing you cannot work around is the locations, theyare generally not in as good a location as super chargers. They usually further from the interstate and quite often in some sketchy spots.

when I road trip my tesla, I do no planning other than put in the destination and go, live rerouting for congested chargers is great. The charging AI for navigation is far better than others, Genesis for example has no charging in their navigation. I have no issue taking my non-Tesla cars, and will doing 2200 miles round trip in the fall with one, but I wouldn’t compare it to Tesla SC experience.
Good to know from someone with real world experience with other EVs. Tesla has certainly done a lot right. They started building the network right from the beginning and they have been doing so now for over a decade. We have taken trips in our X and it was easy for sure. About as easy as driving a traditional ICE car.

I may be sounding negative on this thread but to my friends I am a Tesla lover. I have been promoting them since the original roadster which I loved...wish I would have bought one of those as I am a fan of small, lightweight sports cars. They are now selling for 2-3x from where they were just a few years ago.

I want to call out where Tesla really did not make good decisions with their excessive price gouging (not really driven by increased cost of supply chain). Many customers love the idea of a direct sale to consumer and assume they wont get "screwed" like they would at a dealer. This would be a false assumption. In my mind there is no getting less screwed by Tesla v. a dealer. As a matter of fact it may be worse with Tesla and they're doing it at a mass level.

Their buying experience wasn't great either, especially for a $100k+ vehicle. Felt like I'm going to the back of some warehouse with picnic style tables and no place to sit down. I'm coming from a Lexus and I will tell you this. I prefer the Lexus dealer experience 10X over Tesla. They treat you like royalty and have very nice facility for their customers. And to be honest their cars are built so well. Very solid, smooth, no creaks, perfectly aligned everything, great materials and hold up very well even after 10 years.

BTW how is your Taycan? It's one of the best looking EVs on the market and Porsche knows how to build sports cars. I've had my eye on that for a while.

Last edited:
Can you image if Tesla did commercials like Apple iphones
And showed the value of fuel vs EV and the rebates & incentive vs ice vehicles? People are just unaware of what is available for cars. For a company that has no commercial or sponsorship endorsement. Tesla is on the right track . The cars sellls itself.
Tesla will likely have to start doing Ads soon now that there are already great competitors showing up to the market and taking some percentage of the market. They've enjoyed a long period with no serious competition and big EV demand.

The devil is in the details regarding standardizing on NACS as the EV charging method. Tesla just has to make sure that the Tesla charging experience far exceeds any other users.

Those other NACS auto manufacturers will have to physically redesign their vehicles just to have the supercharger cord be long enough. Other supercharger users at a site will not put up with non-Tesla users parking askew taking up 3 spots to jury rig a supercharger cord to fit their car. It will take years for the other manufacturers to redesign their charge port locations, and being an engineer myself, you can bet the other companies will have engineers that refuse to put the connector in the back left of their designs.

Non-Teslas will not have the real time view in navigation to see how many spots are currently open at every charging station. I use this constantly and would never buy another EV that is missing realtime supercharger availability visibility.

Tesla will charge more cents per kWh for foreign vehicles, so you will save on energy costs every charge if you own a Tesla.

Tesla is only offering a percentage of the superchargers to non-Tesla cars.

Non-Tesla's will charge at a much slower rate than Tesla's.

Once non-Tesla owners understand how superior the Tesla charging experience is, they will be motivated to buy (or stick with) Tesla.

Assuming Tesla has not thought this through and has no plan to differentiate their vehicles is foolish. Standardizing the connector is smart planning for Tesla's future. But there is way more to the supercharging experience than just the plug. It's like saying all computers are equivalent if they simply share the same plug. The software and the user experience are way more important than the plug.
Good points but as the world transitions to electric the current gas stations will all start supporting EV charging. Some already are. Tesla is ahead of the game for sure in this area but it will change for the better if you want to the world to adopt EVs.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer