Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S100D Aux 12V Aftermarket Seat/Steering Wheel Heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, so I have been looking for a good deal on a S100D and after looking at new Tesla inventory for a the past couple of months I realize I have passed up some really good buys just because I want the Sub Zero package and I have yet to find a less expensive S100D with all the other options I wanted and Sub Zero.

I only think I'll "need" the steering wheel heat 10-15 times a year to maximize range on long cold and/or snowy trips. So with this in mind, I've found some aftermarket options that might solve my problem and wondering if anyone sees any reason why these wouldn't work well in an S100D?

The first, cheapest, and least invasive rear seat heat option is the heated seat cushions that would just go on top of the rear seats when needed and plug into the 12 volt, 12 amp Aux outlet via a splitter. The max total draw(for both of these) would be 10A on high, 6A on low.
http://a.co/1Eugkw7

The second, more permanent option are these built in aftermarket heating elements. They would require hard wiring a couple of seat heat switches into the 12V system. Is this possible and if so what are the current limitations?
http://a.co/3SHSYYs

Here's a steering wheel cover that draws 2 amps. Anyone have any experience with this? The other option might be heated motorcycle gloves or just regular gloves if they work.
http://a.co/1w3gkM4

I realize that the route of adding aftermarket/non-Tesla seat and steering wheel heat may seem a bit unorthodoxed to some of you, but if it saves me $5k - $10k I'm good with it!

Based on the Amazon reviews I doubt the steering wheel cover would fit. And it seems almost everyone needed to unplug it in order to drive safely. Personally I would pay an extra 5-10K and get exactly what I want. Why spend well over 100K to purchase or lease a car that is missing something you consider an important option?

Based on the Amazon reviews I doubt the steering wheel cover would fit. And it seems almost everyone needed to unplug it in order to drive safely. Personally I would pay an extra 5-10K and get exactly what I want. Why spend well over 100K to purchase or lease a car that is missing something you consider an important option?

#Sharpgt, I did see that the steering wheel cover isn't all that highly rated. It it doesn't work out, that's probably fine. I could also go with heated gloves or ski gloves if needed... Although I'm not sure that either gloves or steering wheel heat will be in the dead of winter with a little HVAC heat and max seat heat.

I mostly agree with your suggestion to get it equipped as I want if this purchase was going to be held by me long term. Several reason I'm looking to save $5k-$10k on an inventory car. "Why spend well over 100K to purchase or lease a car that is missing something you consider an important option?"

1) I'm trying to spend less than a $100k, but need the range of the S100D more than I need a S90D with heated seats. The "you've already spent $99k so what's another $2k there and $5k here logic" can be a slippery slope when you start adding on $5,000 options. Not interested in doing that on an already obscenely priced, rapidly depreciating option that I plan to hold for 12 months max.

2) I won't need the rear and/or steeringwheel heat all that often. The car will be a short term hold so I am trying to minimize the cost of being an early adopter, by trying to minimize the total depreciation hit when I sell/trade-in when the car I really want is released by Tesla or a competitor.

When Tesla or someone else makes the car I really want then I'll probably get it exactly as I want. In particular, I am waiting for a a MS or Model Y with a battery that has forward compatibility with the higher voltage Supercharger 3.0. (I think I remember reading that the M3 apparently has the ability to accept a faster than 120kv charge, but that the MS does not yet have this tech. I think faster charging and or larger batteries will be one of the most important functional advances for EV's. I make long trips in my autos and faster charging will save me time and $.

Last edited:
#Xenoilphobe I appreciate it. That's a good looking car, but for my requirements range is king so I'm not interested in a P model. Even the 90D (with it's 294 mi range, 24 miles greater than the P90D's range) may not work for a particular winter trip I have in mind, which is why I prefer a 100D at a lower end price. Flagstaff, AZ to Gallup, NM to Telluride, CO with cold weather, potential for snowy roads, and elevation gain. Under certain scenarios the trip planners show me turning a 6hr ICE trip into a 9+ hour Tesla trip with a requirement for an out of the way stop required at Farmington, NM. If you find a good deal on a new or CPO 100D especially with Sub Zero, please send it my way.

Any ideas about if what I am proposing technically and practically feasible?:
1) A total of 10 Amps of from 2 seat heaters in the rear, either via the 12v Aux or possibly hardwired if I go with in-seat elements)
2) Possibly 2 Amps for a steering wheel heater from the 12v Aux outlet, if I find I need it. I'm a skier and climber and not scared of the cold but would prefer to avoid frostbite when I'm trying to stretch the range in challenging winter conditions.

Last edited:
#Xenoilphobe I appreciate it. That's a good looking car, but for my requirements range is king so I'm not interested in a P model. Even the 90D (with it's 294 mi range, 24 miles greater than the P90D's range) may not work for a particular winter trip I have in mind, which is why I prefer a 100D at a lower end price. Flagstaff, AZ to Gallup, NM to Telluride, CO with cold weather, potential for snowy roads, and elevation gain. Under certain scenarios the trip planners show me turning a 6hr ICE trip into a 9+ hour Tesla trip with a requirement for an out of the way stop required at Farmington, NM. If you find a good deal on a new or CPO 100D especially with Sub Zero, please send it my way.

Any ideas about if what I am proposing technically and practically feasible?:
1) A total of 10 Amps of from 2 seat heaters in the rear, either via the 12v Aux or possibly hardwired if I go with in-seat elements)
2) Possibly 2 Amps for a steering wheel heater from the 12v Aux outlet, if I find I need it. I'm a skier and climber and not scared of the cold but would prefer to avoid frostbite when I'm trying to stretch the range in challenging winter conditions.

Anything is possible with money and will.

1. 10 Amps is considered a minor load at 12 Volts. I would also look at getting a 12 volt electric blanket which would solve many issues you are trying to tackle. I just hardwired a couple of 12 volt and USB 5 volt 2.1 amp outlets for the rear passengers - you may end up doing the same here is the link: USB Power outlets for rear passengers 2.1 AMPS each X 4

2. I would get some electric gloves (I use them on my Motorcycle, they work great) a 2 amp load is also considered a minor load and would work great. Also wear a hat and good boots and you can keep the temps lower.

3. Drive slower and you will get great range, also dump the 21 inch wheels and get 19's that are as light as possible.

4. Do not but anything on the roof or on an exterior hitch mounted rack as this will cut your range too..

5. pre-condition your car before you pull from "shore power" - in fact overheat the cabin on shore power and this will have condition the car without impacting the battery.

The only time I almost ran out of juice was the first couple of months that I owned this car and did a similar trip in a blizzard... I limped into a supercharger, only to realized I was on the lowest suspension setting "plowing" through the snow verses gliding over top of it... this was in a RWD 2013 P85.... it did great in the snow... you will love the 100D - it is one of the best cars on the market...

• Informative
Reactions: SnowFlyer
[QUOTE="SnowFlyer, post: 2389665, member: 64330"Even the 90D (with it's 294 mi range, 24 miles greater than the P90D's range) may not work for a particular winter trip I have in mind, which is why I prefer a 100D at a lower end price.[/QUOTE]

If you're calculating range based on published numbers, look at actual user reported ranges and read the road trip planning threads, especially considering winter tripping. Cold weather significantly reduces real world range, as does your speed, and absolutely elevation changes, so if your purchase hinges on max rated range for winter trips through the mountains you may not get what you're expecting. Then again, if you stop to use a washroom and eat at a supercharger the larger battery not only has more range but also charges more miles into itself before tapering as well which will reduce your recharge times.

Following this thread; if you find a good wheel warmer I'll get it, my car was built before they were available and a retrofit was not possible according to the service center, so for me it's aftermarket until I get another Tesla.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
[QUOTE="SnowFlyer, post: 2389665, member: 64330"Even the 90D (with it's 294 mi range, 24 miles greater than the P90D's range) may not work for a particular winter trip I have in mind, which is why I prefer a 100D at a lower end price.

If you're calculating range based on published numbers, look at actual user reported ranges and read the road trip planning threads, especially considering winter tripping. Cold weather significantly reduces real world range, as does your speed, and absolutely elevation changes, so if your purchase hinges on max rated range for winter trips through the mountains you may not get what you're expecting. Then again, if you stop to use a washroom and eat at a supercharger the larger battery not only has more range but also charges more miles into itself before tapering as well which will reduce your recharge times.[/QUOTE]

Chaserr thanks for the heads-up, I've done a lot of reading on the topic, but don't have any realworld experience.

I've been using EVTripping and EVTripplanner and input cold winter conditions to estimate average range for particular routes I want to make in the winter. Not knowing how accurate these planners were, I put EVTripping to the test. I did a 24hr demo and probably put 250mi on an S100D and compared trip planner's estimates to actual results. EVTripping was very accurate for my trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff.

If I end up with a steering wheel heater, I'll update the thread.... first things first, I want to find a Tesla.