Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 100D practical range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took our 3 week old Model X on a local road trip in Southern California. Before starting out, we charged the car to 100%; mileage range reading 295 miles.

We drove the car 238 miles and returned home with 37 miles left on the battery - meaning battery range is about 275 miles. We averaged 347 W/mile.

About 75% of the driving was freeway at 65 to 80 mph. The rest was stop & go - 0 to 45 mph.

Two adults plus miscellaneous luggage, for a total weight of about 400 lbs.

It was a mix of day and night driving with temperatures ranging from 50 to high 60's.

It's the highway driving that eats away the range. The 295 mile range assumes driving at 65 mph. Over time, the car starts to take into account a driver's normal speed and tailor the range estimates. If strong winds are against you, that can also eat away at the range.
I don't think that's accurate. I think the range estimate shown in the cluster is determined by a measurement of the battery's energy divided by a fixed whpm number. Never changes...just the battery's ability to hold energy changes.

Reactions: SSonnentag
@sakimano I was referring to range estimates on the navigation, thanks for the clarification. I had a conversation with someone who used to work on the software earlier this month. He said they used to use that simple calculation for the navigation, but over time the estimator evolved and included other factors like the drivers avg speed. Apologies if any confusion.

@sakimano I was referring to range estimates on the navigation, thanks for the clarification. I had a conversation with someone who used to work on the software earlier this month. He said they used to use that simple calculation for the navigation, but over time the estimator evolved and included other factors like the drivers avg speed. Apologies if any confusion.
sorry my mistake

the navigation range estimate (% at arrival etc) is excellent.

Thank you for clarifying your post. Too many people think the battery meter takes driving history into account. The battery meter rated range is the range on the EPA test cycle. Period. Full stop. The predicted range on the trip app is based on recent energy use, but that’s not what most people are looking at when they say range. They’re looking at the battery display.

Me too . How bad does that affect range though? Is it really this much?

Being in SoCal with density of chargers I wouldn’t switch mine off ..the 20s look too small on this car ...I read somewhere on the forum it’s like a 20% hit in range ...that’s not enough for me to switch though ...I do a lot of SD/LA runs and never been issue

• Informative
Reactions: ebfio and Nrazar
Me too . How bad does that affect range though? Is it really this much?

Enough to notice. My driving habits on 20's = ~375wh/mi. My driving habits on 22's = ~410wh/mi. If you enable chill mode you'll get closer to the rated range and usage. But you sound like you have the same problem I do; you're enjoying the WEEEEeeeeeee!!!!

sorry my mistake

the navigation range estimate (% at arrival etc) is excellent.

Really? I usually take whatever it gives me and knock off about 10%. I just got back from our first roadtrip in the X100D and found that the estimates varied wildly and would adjust as we drove. Yes I drove faster than the limit using mostly autopilot and AC on full blast. We supercharged on most days and used motel/hotel Tesla wall chargers overnight at most stops.

Really? I usually take whatever it gives me and knock off about 10%. I just got back from our first roadtrip in the X100D and found that the estimates varied wildly and would adjust as we drove. Yes I drove faster than the limit using mostly autopilot and AC on full blast. We supercharged on most days and used motel/hotel Tesla wall chargers overnight at most stops.

Yeah the estimates were def off for me too on our first roadtrip sometimes pretty high. One destination said arrive with 12% and i got there with 4. :confused:. Also supercharging times were higher than the nav would estimate. It would say charge for 20 min to continue on nav and when we started charging it would be more like 40.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat