Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90D fire sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! There looks to be a fire sale on remaining new Model X 90D in inventory. I looked at one in particular that was discounted to $108k last night...which is now listed at $100k. Can any long-time lookers confirm? Not sure if I should get the 90D on sale or order a 100D for 111k now.

• Love
Reactions: Rossy
Still a tough decision if you have your heart set on a 100D, although it certainly represents a significant discount over the previous "new" 90Ds. Where I think it is an especially great deal is for someone looking at a 75D and now the 90D is a great bargain at the current discount prices. Another plus is that you'd expect the inventory 90D to be available for delivery quicker than a newly built 100D. But you need to see if the inventory model has the options you want (or more importantly, those that you don't want). You don't want the "extras" that you wouldn't have purchased anyway to use up the savings on an amazing deal.

The 90 kWh battery has a problematic history, it being the one with most reported battery-related issues (e.g. degradation) in recent times. For some points look here: Deciding on MX 90D Inventory vs 75D new #2

I would definitely go for the 100D out of these options, though of course over time 100D might have some issues too we do not know yet - but at least there is a chance of improvements...

That said, I would wait until way after the Model 3 launch before ordering, to see what changes happen to Model S/X lines due to Model 3.

• Love
Reactions: Rossy
The 90 kWh battery has a problematic history, it being the one with most reported battery-related issues (e.g. degradation) in recent times. For some points look here: Deciding on MX 90D Inventory vs 75D new #2

I would definitely go for the 100D out of these options, though of course over time 100D might have some issues too we do not know yet - but at least there is a chance of improvements...

That said, I would wait until way after the Model 3 launch before ordering, to see what changes happen to Model S/X lines due to Model 3.

I don't believe it was all 90's that had issues.

In any event, my 90x is 16 months old, 30k miles and has gone from 263 to 256 (which is only 1 under spec).

My DS said the biggest problems were with the early P90Ds, and that the later ones were working out well. I'd believe that as we know there are more than one version of the 90 pack.

I don't share your faith.

V3 90 kWh do have better performance than V1, but there have been no reports of then being less susceptible - in general - to degradation and/or peak rate throttling in my view.

Can there be better individual units/cases? Sure.

I don't believe it was all 90's that had issues.

In any event, my 90x is 16 months old, 30k miles and has gone from 263 to 256 (which is only 1 under spec).

It is certainly possible there are better units and different use scenarios result in different outcomes. However, IMO out of all the different pack sizes, the 90 kWh in general has received the most complaints in things like DC charging peak rate throttling, including newer 90 kWh packs. The missed performance is of course the other point, so not just about degradation.