Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Accident with FSD any advise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,
We're dealing with a 2018 Tesla Model X 100D, equipped with Full Self-Driving (FSD). The scenario unfolded as my sister drove home with the FSD feature on, and suddenly found a fallen lamppost obstructing our local exit. Unfortunately, she didn't respond in time, due to the challenging visibility and her reliance on the FSD. Consequently, the vehicle failed to detect the obstacle and ended up running over the pole. Visually, it seemed like two tires were punctured. Ultimately, the insurance company declared it a total loss due to potential damage to the battery. I suggested that she should get in touch with Tesla regarding this incident. The offer she received for the car was less than half of the original price, despite the vehicle having lifetime supercharging and FSD features.
Is there any advice you could give in this situation?
She has been car-less for the past six months.
I've been told that posting on the forums might be helpful.
Best,
Loay

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Does the car drive and/or gives any errors?
Battery might be ok even if insurance/Tesla says otherwise. Cars like this end up on auctions, get bought by DIYers, restored n run again, in many cases battery survives.
You will lose Supercharging if cars goes thru insurance (even if u buy it back) but it can be rooted n re-enabled if u have MCU1.
There's HV inspection to get back SC option but many claim it only works for S/3...
If FUSC is valuable to u then keep it n don't go thru insurance.
Or buy it back, fix it n drive it or sell it as salvage, with or without hacking
Or let it go n get a new one...
Those are the options i see..

Its also possible to sell the car like this for more money with giving up ur Tesla account (since that should retain FUSC)
Not exactly ethical but ppl have done it.

Just curious how does offer compares to currently priced cars without counting FSD/FUSC?

Upvote 0
this happened 6 months ago? Did Tesla ever inspect the battery? Did the car's computer kick out any fault error codes? Did she take it to a shop independent of her insurance company? did she check online to see the going rate for a 2018 X to see if the insurance company was giving her a realistic reimbursement? (yes, FSD is not highly valued by the resale market.)

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 0
The offer she received for the car was less than half of the original price, despite the vehicle having lifetime supercharging and FSD features.

I don't know what options the car has (beyond FSD) but 50% of original price could be about right. The insurance company should be paying what a used 2018 MX 100D with similar miles and equipment can be purchased for today. It may (insurance rules vary by state) also include sales tax and/or title and registration fees. Used 2018 MX 100Ds appear to be in the $40k to $60k range right now depending on miles and equipment.

Reactions: Bigriver
Upvote 0