Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DATA Point: Model X 60D, 20" Wheels, total miles: 1100, Avg Wh/Mi: 330, All driving in So. Cal.

I have tended to charge to 100%. If it is a 75D battery, I don't see how this can be bad. I plan to keep doing so and ignore the warnings I get from Tesla. I'll watch the charge max. Should I expect it to only charge to 97% or so after a while?

Reactions: goneskiian
X P90D; 20inch tires; 19356 miles, 382 Wh/mi
My wife and I just got back from a 2774 mile road trip from Loveland, CO to Homer, LA; 430 Wh/mi.
We had really strong crosswinds and headwinds traveling through Kansas and Oklahoma. For example from Wichita to Perry superchargers speed of 68mph 555 Wh/mi. From Ardmore to Denton, 68mph, 559 Wh/mi.
Seems like no matter where I drove in Oklahoma we had strong headwinds.
I log all my trips using TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X Data Logger

DATA Point: Model X 60D, 20" Wheels, total miles: 1100, Avg Wh/Mi: 330, All driving in So. Cal.

I have tended to charge to 100%. If it is a 75D battery, I don't see how this can be bad. I plan to keep doing so and ignore the warnings I get from Tesla. I'll watch the charge max. Should I expect it to only charge to 97% or so after a while?
Nope. The % won't change but the miles you get from your 100% or 90% will. So watch that.
Can you explain why always 100%? You are loosing range forever just to have ~16 extra miles of range each day. Do you use that range?

can you please explain a little more? are you saying charging to 100% daily is ok?
@Amp Dup has a 60 pack, which is really a 75 pack that has been software limited. When that pack is charged to 100%, it's only 60/75 = 80% charged. Not precisely, due to advertised vs actually pack size, but that's about right. So the owners of those packs specifically are safe charging to the software 100%.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
I decided to do a controlled run on my 1.5 weeks old X 100D (20" tires) to prepare for my future roadtrips and also to see how much I can rely on things like evtripplanner.com

took a ~40 miles trip on the highway today on a calm mostly warm day, zero wind.
outside temp ~68F (20C), load: 2 adults. AC on set to 70F (21C).

EV Trip Planner - the EVTripplanner estimate for this journey.
I had AP on on highway 100% of the time, 70mph limit for first 7 or so miles and then bumped to 75 once the speed limit increased to 65.
The result is 38 minutes, 356 Wh/mi average - significantly more than what EVTripplanner suggested.

Then turned around and took a reverse trip: EV Trip Planner (a bit shorter),
started at 80mph AP and then 10 or so miles in when speed limit dropped to 65, reduced speed to 75 and last couple of miles at 70mph.
Surprisingly for this return portion EVTripPlanner was 100% spot on.
Car recorded values were 34.7 miles, 334Wh/mi average, total power used 11.6kWh

Average for whole trip is 346 Wh/mi

Here's also visual tesla depiction of the trip (the start is a bit truncated due to it not catching on the idle was done right away)
trip3.png

550 mile trip over (eastern) mountains with total 2000 ft elevation range and a 15 min high speed highway stint but most at or just above posted limits. Half with and half without climate system on. Range mode. Winter tires, 20” rims. Temps high 30’s to high 40’s F. Total average consumption 353Wh/mi.

Reactions: hiroshiy
1500 miles @ 345 wh/mi. mostly highway miles so far, 75mph top speed.
Care to share the details of your build? 75? 90? 100? Performance? Wheel size?

Thanks!

X75D checking in from the PNW. 2,500 miles this winter season on the Pirelli 19" winter tires purchased from Tesla. Primarily short runs around town, with some longer trips into the peninsula and into the Cascades. 475 Wh/mi.
Ouch!