Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Dash Cam Unboxing and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw a link/post on the FB MX group for this:
Amazon.com: Topfit Customized Car Dash Cam, Mini Driving Recorder,Car Dashboard Video Recorder Camera with 32GB for Tesla Model X with Autopilot 2.0 System: Car Electronics

Apparently this is AP2 version that will be English too.

I'll add/say this: the unit isn't in English from the spoken words, but the app is English. And really since the only things you'd probably want to change are to silence it anyhow, which was easy with the app, does it really matter? But if you're that hard-up for one that was truly designed for English I guess wait and see if they make good on that promise to deliver one. :)

So I got the seller to provide a firmware update to English for those that prefer the cam to speak in English.

"DVR starting" in a metallic woman voice ;)
Get your firmware at Dropbox - SD_CarDV.bin

place the file in the root of a freshly formatted sdcard and start the dashcam with that card.
It will say it's usual chinese thing, then will blink red LED for awhile, then LEDs would go dark and finally it'll say "DVR starting" in a metallic woman voice ;)
Turn off the dashcam, wait for it to shutdown, remove tha card and place a regular one back in (or reformat the current one if that's the one you plan to use from now on.

Worked on mine (though did not solve the "taking pictures all the time problem).

Reactions: philinsf and Stasla
Two questions,
1) how is the image quality on the AP 2.0 version?

2) does it record while parked?

Can't comment on the first, though I assume they'd be the same with only changes to the housing or connectors to match changes in the car.

One of the biggest weaknesses of this solution is that it does not record while parked - it can't, because the power source they tapped in to is only live when the car is on.

• Informative
Reactions: hollywood
So, I opened mine to see what's inside...

It turns out it's just a shell with a different ov4689 based camera system inside, also a whole bunch of wires and electric tape, a couple of capacitors and a proximity sensor.

The proximity sensor is held in place by electrical tape too, so once it unglues and falls into the camera - you start to get pictures taken constantly (As if you just held your hand to the left hand side of the device).

So if you have pictures taken at random car shakes - I believe that's just a sign your proximity sensor just rattles inside and if you let glue it better (make sure both receiver and transmitter protrude all the way out of their respective holes).

IMG_20170302_213113.jpg
IMG_20170302_213343.jpg
IMG_20170302_213211.jpg

This last part is the proximity sensor on the tape that holds it together with the speaker.
Once I took it out, the constant shutter sounds stopped unless I waived my hand over it.
IMG_20170302_231309.jpg

So I got the seller to provide a firmware update to English for those that prefer the cam to speak in English.

"DVR starting" in a metallic woman voice ;)
Get your firmware at Dropbox - SD_CarDV.bin

place the file in the root of a freshly formatted sdcard and start the dashcam with that card.
It will say it's usual chinese thing, then will blink red LED for awhile, then LEDs would go dark and finally it'll say "DVR starting" in a metallic woman voice ;)
Turn off the dashcam, wait for it to shutdown, remove tha card and place a regular one back in (or reformat the current one if that's the one you plan to use from now on.

Worked on mine (though did not solve the "taking pictures all the time problem).
Is there anything else to the new firmware besides the spoken language change to English?

Also, is there a better app than what's listed on the paperwork that came with the cam?

Is there anything else to the new firmware besides the spoken language change to English?

Also, is there a better app than what's listed on the paperwork that came with the cam?
No idea what else has changed, but I had garbled pictures recorded that fixed itself with the update (but no other method).

You can connect to the cam web interface with a web browser (at http://192.72.1.1/ ) and see even more minimal interface ;)

So far I noticed one ugly thing - if you start the app, the bigger 1296p picture is reduced to 1080p (which is the maximum you can select in the app).
I guess I'll try to talk to the seller about this and also the time sync lost when power is cut.

so, after a bit more testing:
At least my dashcam seems to remember time that was set from the cell phone last time it connected (or I just did not wait long enough? will try to leave it unpowered overnight and see what happens.

Return to 1296p is possible by doing a camera factory reset from the app menu, and if you don't touch the resolution control over there again - it stays there.

Hi,

much as I like the ease of installation, the lack of a GPS tracking/positioning feature as well as the rather revealing photos of "build quality" in the preceding post retains me from dishing out ± 300 monies (EUR/USD) for this dashcam.

I have two very nice Iselector Astro I dashcams sitting here, capable of GPS tracking/positioning (with a separate sensor), and delivering very fine pics in 2560 x 1440 HDR resolution. They will be brought into service on the X, once I find out how to solve the problem of the 5V power supply requirement (if you do not want to use the provided transformer). I could probably power both off the USB sockets at the rear of the center console.....

Oh, yes, I almost forgot: They cost me ± 200 EUR (the first 120, the second, on offer, 80). Current price 96 EUR/unit.

At least my dashcam seems to remember time that was set from the cell phone last time it connected (or I just did not wait long enough? will try to leave it unpowered overnight and see what happens.
So I just tried it again and the time is still pretty much retained (possible a tiny bit of drift, but might just be my imagination).

Overall I feel like it's an ok dashcam. though somewhat expensive. The installation is a piece of cake, though and I like how it "blends in" like a native piece. I don't think I really need GPS, and speed being detected is probably something that could be used against me a lot more than used in my favor ;)
I just hope it lasts.

Reactions: Stasla
For AP2, is there an extra power cable in the front camera/mirror housing that we can connect other dash cams too like there was for AP1? I want to add a basic dashcam but don't want to thread cables all the way around if I don't have to... thanks!

For AP2, is there an extra power cable in the front camera/mirror housing that we can connect other dash cams too like there was for AP1? I want to add a basic dashcam but don't want to thread cables all the way around if I don't have to... thanks!
This probably isn't the right thread for that question.

This thread is about a purpose built dash camera kit which unplugs the rear view mirror and plugs into the middle of that harness.

I bought the Topfit AP2 camera for ease of use. I am certain if you had the proper connectors you could power the camera the same way Topfit does. Their camera isn't anything special. They were the first to market with a OEM style camera for the X.

This probably isn't the right thread for that question.

This thread is about a purpose built dash camera kit which unplugs the rear view mirror and plugs into the middle of that harness.

The reason I posted here was because I know this specific camera had a connector for AP1 but since they also released an AP2 version I was wondering if AP2 cars had this same connector. Hope that was ok, the next poster answered my question.