Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X December Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. Last night with the new site design, it still said In Production; I opened the "Request final paperwork" section but didn't submit it. This morning it doesn't say In Production any more, and the Request final paperwork section is marked as complete. Doesn't say In Transit or anything else. I sure hope that means it's out of production (after 23 days).
ThOught I was going crazy when I saw that as well.... I ordered back in August and pushed it to December and now I don't even know if my "in production" is "out of production"..... pretty unreliable....I expected more out of them.....

It seems they just have a delivery estimate now. I think our spreadsheets forced them to hide details of production details, possibly for concern of stockholders gathering negative info?

Now it's unclear when and how long cars are in production. Instead it's just an estimate on delivery.

Here is my ordering timeline so far....

Car type: MODEL X 60D

All Wheel Drive
Solid White
20" silver wheels
Ultra White Seats
Ashwood Decor
Front Console
Black Headliner
6 seat
supercharger Enabled
High Amp Charger upgrade
Enhanced Autopilot
Full Sefl-driving Capability
Premium upgrade Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Accessory Hitc
------------------------------------------------------
Sep-29th, I placed my order with Tesla DS @ walnut creek local Mall.
Oct-6th, Order is confirmed and accepted.
Oct-31, Tesla sent me an email telling me there is a HW 2.0 (Full Self-driving Package) upgrade, which I modified my order at that time.
Nov-15th, (2 full week) Email replied back from Tesla, modification order confirmed and accepted.
Nov-18th, got a contact from Finance department to finalize all the finance paperwork, etc..
Dec-7th, I noticed my tesla website says my X is not into Active Production
Dec-10th, Got email telling me that Tesla started building the Car. And estimated delivery is late Dec. to early Jan 2017.

My experience with Tesla sales person, finance department, to Delivery contact has been nothing but most positive. I really got zero complains and would/did send a friend to DS.

The delay seems to be related to the retooling of factory over the period of 2 weeks when they did the HW 2.0.

Hope this post can help new buyer manage their expectation.

Reactions: 8XATL and vrykolas
In the Tilburg (Netherlands) factory Tesla cannot assemble a car from parts. They put the engines and battery pack in place and perform final testing.
So, European cars are really built in Fremont on the same assembly lines as all the others.

What you think is the cause for discrepancy in production?

There are so many factors that go into what gets built when. Some we can guess pretty well, and others we don't have visibility into.

First, they certainly aren't going to build in VIN order, as has already been discussed on this thread. Just the fact that they are probably going to batch like configurations together means that things will be out of VIN order. Next, you have issues like people who have been waiting for 5-seat configs, so they're going to insert those customers into the line. Then, you have the issue of distance, which has also been discussed here. They tend to build cars that have to travel long distances before local pickups so they can deliver the most number of cars in a quarter. Sometimes, they really f up a car and have to build it again. That customer will be given priority, most likely. Parts shortages depending on what you ordered. Imagine, hypothetically, the supplier of tan interiors screws up and now Tesla has no tan parts to build with. All those cars need to wait, meanwhile all black interiors will get built, possibly sooner than they otherwise would have. There are also fix-ups of cars that are fixable, but not worth completely rebuilding that can slow a car's production down, etc.

In short, there is so much info that goes into what gets built when that to just flippantly say it's about money is sort of ridiculous. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other cars that are fully loaded that might NOT get built as fast as the one above, for the reasons mentioned. And what I have above is only what I could think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of other things we have no idea about. Given the logistical nightmare about how to build cars in the best order to get the most cars out the door, I'm glad I don't have to figure it out, but I also feel like given the information they have on the inside, I'd probably make similar decisions.

Reactions: vandacca
Last night my profile showed in production with 4/6 steps completed but this morning I awoke to find the words "in production" gone but still showing 4/6 steps completed remain. I wonder if there is a website glitch.
I had the same situation from last night to this morning.

Do you remember if your MyTesla page specifically stated... IN PRODUCTION, or as mine specified ...YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AND SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION IN OUR FACTORY ?

I'm not sure if mine has truly taken me out of IN QUEUE and IN PRODUCTION .

What do you think. Would appreciate your input.

I had the same situation from last night to this morning.

Do you remember if your MyTesla page specifically stated... IN PRODUCTION, or as mine specified ...YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AND SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION IN OUR FACTORY ?

I'm not sure if mine has truly taken me out of IN QUEUE and IN PRODUCTION .

What do you think. Would appreciate your input.

I think they just removed the status messages for everyone. Not sure if it's a temporary or permanent change. I called the store and it seems like mine's still in the last stage of production.

Thanks for responding but would appreciate your answering my question regarding EXACT wording last night before message disappeared .

If your car made it to production then the wording would've said, "Your car is in production." It won't say your car is scheduled for production at the factory. That's what mine said before they removed it and my car is in production.