Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door no longer open fully automatically without USS (ultra-sonic sensors)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I see where you might be coming from, but it really does feel broken. It's not "something you live with". And I'm fairly confident the door motors will be broken by the wear on them each time we have to force the door open.

I thought the same thing with my MX. And trying to wait 2 seconds after it stops moving before pushing it further so the motor is less engaged is difficult mentally (because the doors should work like doors).

Hopefully yours does not have the additional feature of the door swinging wide open about 1% of the time at high speed. Mine knocked over my trash bin the first time it happened. It was like the motor was given double its normal voltage and also was suddenly capable of opening more then a few inches. And then it went back to not opening again like "normal".

Honestly, I see where you might be coming from, but it really does feel broken. It's not "something you live with". And I'm fairly confident the door motors will be broken by the wear on them each time we have to force the door open.

My 2016 X has USS - yet started doing this barely-open-and-fight-you nonsense with one of the software updates in the last month or so. Now my driver's door IS broken, b/c of it fighting me constantly AND slamming closed without warning on my legs while I was cleaning out under the seat. It now makes a "fingernail on a zipper" type sound when trying to fight me - and STILL manages to fight me sometimes and STILL manages to constantly pull itself closed while I am half out of the car.

This is broken software doing this, because it DID NOT DO THIS until the month of September this year.

Reactions: rpo and gsxdsm
I'm glad I found this thread. This is one of those things and really and truly pisses me off. I have an X plaid on order and am strongly considering cancelling based on this BS. I don't want to fight the doors every time I get in the f'n car. The '22 LR X I have is flawless with the doors. They've never once hit anything and open fully when they have proper clearance.

I saw where someone on Twitter (X) claimed that he can give a slight outward force to the door once it cracks open and it will open all the way every time. He was quite pleased to discover this, said it seems like the door is looking for human approval to open all the way.

Can anyone confirm this behavior on a HW4 X?

I'm glad I found this thread. This is one of those things and really and truly pisses me off. I have an X plaid on order and am strongly considering cancelling based on this BS. I don't want to fight the doors every time I get in the f'n car. The '22 LR X I have is flawless with the doors. They've never once hit anything and open fully when they have proper clearance.

I saw where someone on Twitter (X) claimed that he can give a slight outward force to the door once it cracks open and it will open all the way every time. He was quite pleased to discover this, said it seems like the door is looking for human approval to open all the way.

Can anyone confirm this behavior on a HW4 X?

I don't have HW4 with a 2016, but it has been doing this when I open the door from either the inside OR the outside - and giving me a fight pretty much each time until it broke last week. The times when it DIDN'T fight were the minority by quite a bit.

This has to be in software b/c it wasn't doing this at all until about a month ago. I had the doors "upgraded" about 3-4 months ago and they had been flawless until recently.

Reactions: Mike7564
That's exactly what I did. Went from my lemony 2023 Model X to an R1S. Sitting in it now using the hotspot on a two week camping trip. You know what is amazing? The range is accurate. I no longer have to use 2/3rds of the rated miles like I did in every Tesla I owned. It makes my brain so much happier.
By the way, I'm selling my 2016 Model X P90D: 2016 Model X P90D for sale - Boston areateslamotorsclub.com