Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door no longer open fully automatically without USS (ultra-sonic sensors)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates on this? Any word if Tesla will ever being back the self-presenting doors for the model X where the doors fully open as the prior year models used to?
I talked to one or the techs from Tesla and he said they were told vision will restore door functionality and will bring the same functionality to the passenger side. It’s allegedly in the works now. He also explained some of the issues they had with the sensors. It makes sense why Tesla is making this change but I wish they would fully bake the vision-based approach before they decided to remove sensors. It’s almost like hardware people and

I talked to one or the techs from Tesla and he said they were told vision will restore door functionality and will bring the same functionality to the passenger side. It’s allegedly in the works now. He also explained some of the issues they had with the sensors. It makes sense why Tesla is making this change but I wish they would fully bake the vision-based approach before they decided to remove sensors. It’s almost like hardware people and
My problem with vision for this purpose is that the cameras will either use more energy while the car is parked to insure the system is ready as soon as you walk toward the car, or it will be too slow because the system isn’t ready until after you’ve already walked up to the door and at that point could just open it manually.

Maybe they can wake the cameras and computers up and get the Tesla Vision going in a split second after noticing your key, but I’m a skeptic.

Reactions: MikeChicago
My problem with vision for this purpose is that the cameras will either use more energy while the car is parked to insure the system is ready as soon as you walk toward the car, or it will be too slow because the system isn’t ready until after you’ve already walked up to the door and at that point could just open it manually.

Maybe they can wake the cameras and computers up and get the Tesla Vision going in a split second after noticing your key, but I’m a skeptic.

Reactions: MikeChicago

I think they would wake up the same way they do now. When a phone or key is detected. You are right though. That could be a problem.

Now that they are finally adding the long awaited front bumper camera, I’m hoping they fix the front door opening all the way. It’s one of the best features of the Model X. That along with the falcon wing doors really sets it apart from most other cars.

Why would a front camera help with the doors?
Oh, I didn’t mean that the cameras themselves would help the doors. I just meant that since they were upgrading/fixing stuff that people have been asking for, they might as well fix the doors as well?

The doors not opening all the way is the only thing preventing me from placing a Model X order at this time, so I’m just hoping that they do 😅

Reactions: halfhumble
Now that they are finally adding the long awaited front bumper camera, I’m hoping they fix the front door opening all the way. It’s one of the best features of the Model X. That along with the falcon wing doors really sets it apart from most other cars.
Other than unsubstantiated rumors has the front bumper camera yet been delivered to any ModelX?

Checking in several months later — and it's still a daily annoyance to deal with these crappy doors in the 2023 X that fight you as soon as they open 6 inches. My 2018 Model X doors worked beautifully in comparison.

Reactions: msm859
Interesting thread. Sorry to hear about (justifiable) dissatisfaction with the current self-presenting feature in newer Model X. Yes, I see where the North American 2021+ (software: 2024.2.3) Owner's Manual says:

"You can also set the driver's door to open automatically upon your approach. The door partially opens between 20° and 45° (halfway open) depending on obstacles detected.

"NOTE: Vehicles manufactured as of January 2023 may open to a predetermined setting (about 10° or 7-8 inches/18-21 cm)." (Page 29; pdf version; emphasis added)​

My older (manufactured December 2020) car's driver door opens to that wider (20° and 45°) amount, depending on whether there are perceived obstacles, but still not fully open. I have no plans to sell or trade in my car (despite active encouragement from Tesla), but it is disappointing to me to see apparent "steps backwards" implemented by Tesla in some instances (e.g., loss of certain features, lower claimed range, etc.).

Of potential interest to readers (though the focus is on "Classic" Model X) is another thread I created, wherein I try to understand display screen settings that may affect the automatic door opening feature.

Questions to those with "refreshed" (2021+) Model X:
  1. Does your car still have a slider-setting (on-off) for something called Passive Entry on the "Safety" screen of the center display? (I suspect not.)
    |
  2. Does your Driver Door Unlock Mode setting (in the "Vehicle" screen) affect your Automatic Doors setting features (e.g., self-presenting driver's door)?

...Questions to those with "refreshed" (2021+) Model X:
  1. Does your car still have a slider-setting (on-off) for something called Passive Entry on the "Safety" screen of the center display?...

I may be able to offer some insight about one of my own questions:
  • Got a brief look inside a new Model X today (at a Tesla showroom). I was told by the Tesla sales rep that the "Mobile Entry" setting now on the "Safety" screen is basically the same as the "Passive Entry" setting used to be.
However, I don't see any confirmation about "Mobile Entry" online or in owner's manuals. So maybe this is a new change with the latest (FSD) software? (The demo Model X did have FSD v12.3.2.1, so either it had a special factory build for promotional purposes, or maybe it simply had the latest FSD software download?)

PS: The Sacramento Service Center/Showroom currently has an original Roadster on display, and there are two employee-owned Cybertrucks there, also. So fun place to visit (but parking is tight).

Last edited: