Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mist thins...slightly

Here's a new hint as to the Model X doors!

Quote from Mercury News article (don't see a quote formatting function here, sorry!):

"Theo O'Neill, a cleantech analyst at Wunderlich Securities, has seen photographs of the Model X but has yet to ride in it. As a parent who struggles to buckle his young son into a car seat, he's excited about the Model X's doors, which pivot from the top of the vehicle.
"The doors of the Model X lift up and fold -- like the wing of a bird," said O'Neill. "You can walk right up to the edge of the seat. It's the ideal solution for disabled children, or any parent who has to lean over to buckle a car seat."

Link to article: Tesla Motors to unveil the Model X Feb. 9 - San Jose Mercury News

So the previous posts w/ pics help me understand what this could look like on a cabinet...but I have to admit I'm still left rather blank with actually imagining this on a car. I'm now expecting to be alarmed, either in the, "whoa...sad panda" department, or the, "wow I'm blown away by the depressing limits of my imagination and the ingenuity of Tesla!" way...

I'm actually a little concerned with the complexity and potential issues with exotic doors. Conventional doors work quite well and are simple, I hope they aren't opening up a can of worms by trying to be too clever. The "wow" factor can wear off quickly in the face of reality.

I'm actually a little concerned with the complexity and potential issues with exotic doors. Conventional doors work quite well and are simple, I hope they aren't opening up a can of worms by trying to be too clever. The "wow" factor can wear off quickly in the face of reality.

It might end up being needed depending on how big the doors are. If the X really is minivan-like, perhaps it needed a long door and they didn't want to do the traditional slider

Last edited:
Judging from the pictures on this thread it might be possible that when the doors open you can access the 2nd AND 3rd rows of seats simultaneously - something you can't do with a minivan sliding door. They would obviously be electric and use some of the same motors that power the pano roof in the Model S.

I'm worried that any of the door-over-roof designs will mean that I can't use a roof rack to transport kayaks and hang gliders. That would make the whole thing a non-starter for me, since that's a large part of the point of having an SUV in the first place. Traditional doors, or ones that slide down under the seating area would work well, though.

I think I see what's going on. Try this exercise to see if it makes sense:
  • Hold your right hand out in front of you, thumb up. This represents is the driver-side door.
  • Put the tip of your index finger in the pad of your thumb. This is the pivot joint for the door.
  • Rotate your right hand counter-clockwise, without moving your left index finger, so that your right finger tips are tracing a circle. Your hand will naturally rotate to the horizontal and slide over the empty space forward of your left index finger (which is where the car's chassis would be.
Obviously, the left and right doors will have to be slightly asymmetric so that one fits in above the other (or, perhaps, only one door can be open at a time?). This doesn't explain the "fold" part of the quote, however.

Telsa EYE Concept:
Tesla Eye showcar by IED
190182_68_preview.jpg

Bertone Pandion (better have a tall ceiling!):
Bertone Pandion Concept : Most Expensive Cars In The World 2011
bertone-pandion-concept-1.jpg

BMW Vision:
BMW’s Green Sports Car Fantasy: Diesel-Electric Plug-in Hybrid | Hybrid Cars
bmw-vision-studio-610.jpg

Last edited:
sure knows how to string us along

*edit* I don't agree ElSupreme. I think he just posted the pic as that's what is representative of the X in everyone's eyes already. He's just keeping the hype train rolling.