Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X First Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is on course to produce more vehicles than BMW by 2023, and with much higher margins. Legacy car makers have billions of $ in basically stranded assets. Long term I would worry more about legacy carmakers than Tesla. Not that Tesla can't screw up and fail, but the scale difference is about to go away quickly. I don't think that it is a valid argument anymore.
I think this is a very optimistic view of the environment, considering Tesla didn't even ship 1M cars last year, and Ford more than quadruples that. Even BMW more than triples it.

But I'm patient to wait and see, I don't believe the hype Elon drives, I believe in reality and that the Cybertruck is still missing among a host of other things that were once promised.

Reactions: SubtractEm
I think this is a very optimistic view of the environment, considering Tesla didn't even ship 1M cars last year, and Ford more than quadruples that. Even BMW more than triples it.

But I'm patient to wait and see, I don't believe the hype Elon drives, I believe in reality and that the Cybertruck is still missing among a host of other things that were once promised.
None of us know what the future holds, but Shanghai seems to be on course for reaching 1M cars annual rate in 2022, Fremont is above 500k, and the 2 new factories are supposed to achieve 500k a year as well. All together, that would be more than BMW today. Now, how supply chain issues will affect the above is anyone's guess.

None of us know what the future holds, but Shanghai seems to be on course for reaching 1M cars annual rate in 2022, Fremont is above 500k, and the 2 new factories are supposed to achieve 500k a year as well. All together, that would be more than BMW today. Now, how supply chain issues will affect the above is anyone's guess.
On course for reaching 1M cars is what Elon says -- not what they've actually shipped. Again, I take with a grain of salt what he says, as FSD has been "6 months away" for years already, along with the CyberTruck etc. Almost *every* statistic he's put out has been missed, most by a huge margin.

I'm patient to wait and see.

I think you underestimate the reach and manufacturing capability of the traditional automakers. Panasonic and LG are the ones to partner with for battery technology, and while Tesla has an early benefit, the scale of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and anybody else dwarfs the possibilities of Tesla long term. They sell more cars, and are going to have bigger contracts.

Ultimately yes, the natural resources are certainly a point to think about, but the scale of the contracts are what will really make things change.
I think you underestimate the stark differences between the challenges associated with scaling ICE automobile production vs BEV.

Partnership with LG Chem, Pana, etc...that's all great, but that doesn't magically secure the requisite raw materials.
If you don't have batteries, you can't build BEVs. I would parse your other points, but it's not necessary -- this is the canary in the coal mine.

FWIW, I think Elon is a complete shithead. But Tesla's lead is massive and I'm baffled by the widespread refusal to acknowledge that fact or consider its incredible weight when assessing the future of various automakers. Ford might make it, but I think Volkswagen and Hyundai are far more likely to survive this transition.

GM is ****ed.

If you aren't a state-sponsored enterprise or Tesla, I don't think you're gonna make it. Tesla was prescient enough to grab the US Government's money while it was available and I'm not sure the appetite for bailout Mk3 is there to get GM and Ford over the finish line. Germany, South Korea, Japan, and China all back their auto industrial bases quite directly. The US likes to play a little more hands-off, and we'll see if that ends up being a good idea

But, Tesla is constrained on a number of fronts and one of them is in service. I would never own a Tesla living 50+ miles from a service center, and while that's in theory not many people, the St. Louis area is typical in that it has one service center serving a metro area of 3 million people. That's not sustainable and Tesla is way behind on human resources, and does not seem to have any plan to fix it anytime soon, fighting multiple money tree forest fires at once already with their scaleup. SCale isn't just about how many cells you can arrange in a rectangle.

I know one thing - my X is certainly built Ford tough and like a rock, just like any other domestic I've had the ...pleasure of observing the build quality on

Last edited:
Tesla seems to have the other manufacturers over a barrel. Tesla makes about 30% profit on every EV they produce. The legacy manufacturers (except China) seem to be losing $ on every EV they produce. Ford just announced they have not yet figured how to make a profit on even their new Mustang.

Even Rivian has admitted that they are loosing $ on every Electric Truck they deliver, and will be doing that for some years to come. (Miss-calculated their costs and Priced initial orders taken too low)

With the new Giga Castings cutting Tesla production costs even lower, and allowing for faster production speeds, how are the others going to be able to compete profitably?

I know one thing - my X is certainly built Ford tough and like a rock, just like any other domestic I've had the ...pleasure of observing the build quality on
This is always the point I make when people slam Tesla build quality. My experience with American automakers has NEVER been good, so it's less shocking to me.

I always expect to have a service appointment pending for my X. That is just the reality of it.
Call it what you want -- my pigeon-wing minivan stands among the coolest and quickest cars on the road.

Tesla seems to have the other manufacturers over a barrel. Tesla makes about 30% profit on every EV they produce. The legacy manufacturers (except China) seem to be losing $ on every EV they produce. Ford just announced they have not yet figured how to make a profit on even their new Mustang.

Even Rivian has admitted that they are loosing $ on every Electric Truck they deliver, and will be doing that for some years to come. (Miss-calculated their costs and Priced initial orders taken too low)

With the new Giga Castings cutting Tesla production costs even lower, and allowing for faster production speeds, how are the others going to be able to compete profitably?
My ex gf worked for tesla supplier company. And I can tell you tesla only purchase the cheap quality parts to reduce the cost. I have compared the parts. Yeah.. it’s pretty bad to be honest. Now I can see why both my model y and x have so many issues.

My ex gf worked for tesla supplier company. And I can tell you tesla only purchase the cheap quality parts to reduce the cost. I have compared the parts. Yeah.. it’s pretty bad to be honest. Now I can see why both my model y and x have so many issues.
Have you had issues related to parts? Now that they’ve alleviated the lead-acid battery design flaw, I don’t really have any parts criticisms. What are you dealing with?

Or is this a baseless complaint?

Have you had issues related to parts? Now that they’ve alleviated the lead-acid battery design flaw, I don’t really have any parts criticisms. What are you dealing with?

Or is this a baseless complaint?
30 years working as engineer for air craft I can tell right away the problem with tesla using multiple suppliers. Each supplier may have certain margin of error for their parts within quality standards, but multiple suppliers creates bigger error. That’s why tesla always have panel gap issue . And yes both of my model y and model x have panel gap issues. I also had gps issue, and I took out the cabin camera to see what’s going on ,the material they use for the cabin camera is cheap quality which does not insulate well enough to protect the emi from effecting the GPS receiver. Those are the two issues out of 20 I had. Opening up the parts I can almost tell you the issues with each one of them, mostly due to saving cost. Do I still love my tesla ? Yes I do! Still driving both daily with a smile on my face. The best part about tesla is the battery management and gps location technology and user experience. Paid 140k for my model x , not happy for the quality , but I still consider it the best car on the planet

• Disagree
Reactions: WiseShepherd
I received my Model X on 07/29/2022 (Brand New, 7 Seater), I have driven about 1000 miles so far. I like the car's comfort and significant road presence and stability on freeways. Feels like driving a midsize/full-size SUV (that is my comfort zone). However, I am disappointed with a couple of issues and worried about long-term reliability.

1. Falcon wings had sensor issues and did not open as soon as the car was delivered. This issue is now fixed with a service ticket and 10 days in the shop :(
2. Second-row passenger side seat got stuck at a 40-degree angle today while accessing 3rd row for carpool, I took it to Tesla they said they need to replace the seat completely (I was completely blown off the rails when I heard it), and service appointment is on 19th I will update more on this. I understand warranty service is free of cost but what will I do when the car is off warranty?

Driving impressions:

Yoke: Not at all a problem, owners will get used to it in the first hour, the biggest challenge is not having signal stocks and horns in the center your muscle memory knows left and right stock moments pretty well getting used to those buttons for signals/horn is a problem. I am still not comfortable with it after driving 1000 miles. There is absolutely enough room to accommodate signal stocks without interfering with the instrument cluster display, I don't know what Tesla was thinking. I would get one installed if someone makes a 3rd party accessory.

No Physical Buttons: Not an issue at all you can do most of the stuff with voice.

Materials: Feel much nicer than older Model Xs (I do not know if the beige color interior that I upgraded to makes me feel like that but definitely feels a lot better than Older Model Ss and Xs

Driving Dynamics: You know what you are getting into if you're driving in a straight line feels planted not a rig that you can toss around.

Ride: Very cushy, air suspension helps a lot. (I am comparing it against Model Y as that is what I owned previously)

Driver Assitance: All the tech is good (Auto Pilot/lane tracking/collision avoidance etc..). I wish they had a blind spot video display in the instrument cluster that's more convenient.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I received my Model X on 07/29/2022 (Brand New, 7 Seater), I have driven about 1000 miles so far. I like the car's comfort and significant road presence and stability on freeways. Feels like driving a midsize/full-size SUV (that is my comfort zone). However, I am disappointed with a couple of issues and worried about long-term reliability.

1. Falcon wings had sensor issues and did not open as soon as the car was delivered. This issue is now fixed with a service ticket and 10 days in the shop :(
2. Second-row passenger side seat got stuck at a 40-degree angle today while accessing 3rd row for carpool, I took it to Tesla they said they need to replace the seat completely (I was completely blown off the rails when I heard it), and service appointment is on 19th I will update more on this. I understand warranty service is free of cost but what will I do when the car is off warranty?

Driving impressions:

Yoke: Not at all a problem, owners will get used to it in the first hour, the biggest challenge is not having signal stocks and horns in the center your muscle memory knows left and right stock moments pretty well getting used to those buttons for signals/horn is a problem. I am still not comfortable with it after driving 1000 miles. There is absolutely enough room to accommodate signal stocks without interfering with the instrument cluster display, I don't know what Tesla was thinking. I would get one installed if someone makes a 3rd party accessory.

No Physical Buttons: Not an issue at all you can do most of the stuff with voice.

Materials: Feel much nicer than older Model Xs (I do not know if the beige color interior that I upgraded to makes me feel like that but definitely feels a lot better than Older Model Ss and Xs
Re: seats
Service Centers seemingly lack the tooling (and/or willingness) required to repair seat issues. Virtually every seat issue like the one you mentioned seems to be solved by just installing a new one and sending the bad seat off to be reworked. I'm making an assumption on the last bit -- maybe they just get sold off or dumped?

Re: stalks
Solutions do exist, but there is nothing akin to a plug-n-play kit, as yet. Someone did a super detailed write-up of swapping the yoke out in favor of a MY wheel. You can chop it to a yoke, if you want, while still getting the stalks. I think that's the best way to go, but the MY wheel/parts/plastics feel too cheap for MX. It helps that the yoke doesn't exactly scream PREMIUM MATERIALS, either. *shrug*

Re: Materials
I dunno -- I sat in a refreshed X. My legacy X (P100D) is a white/carbon fiber interior and it always makes me smile when it catches my eye. The refresh just boasts a far better layout and cleaner dash. The hidden vents give it an air of futurism.

Thanks for the insights!

Reactions: ShareLofty
A collection of first impressions from yesterday's launch. I wonder if any of the large, established auto magazines will be allowed extended hands-on time, such as was allowed with the Model S 3 years ago? The Model X is off to a glowing start with the press.

TheVerge: Tesla’s Model X is finally here, and I got to drive it
Tesla’s Model X is finally here, and I got to drive it | The Verge

Jalopnik: What It's Like To Drive The Tesla Model X
What Its Like To Drive The Tesla Model X

Tesla Model X: This Is It

Road and Track: Tesla Model X Driving Impressions: It's Unsettlingly Fast
Tesla Model X Driving Impressions: It's Unsettlingly Fast

Motor Trend: 2016 Tesla Model X: 15 Things You Need to Know About the EV Crossover - This Electric Crossover is Full of Awesome Tech Surprises
2016 Tesla Model X: 15 Things to Know About the EV CUV All Pages

Wired: Tesla’s Model X Is Here, and It’s as Awesome as We Hoped
Tesla's Model X SUV is finally here, and it's as wonderful as we'd hoped

USA Today: First drive: Tesla Model X is an awesome way to spend $132,000
First drive: Tesla Model X is an awesome way to spend $132,000

Car and Driver: 2016 Tesla Model X: Tesla's Electric Crossover Finally Spreads Its Wings
Enter the electric falcon.
2016 Tesla Model X Official Photos and Info Car and Driver

Gizmodo: Tesla's Model X Is Finally Here: The Stuff We Didn't Already Know (UPDATED)
Teslat Already Know (UPDATED)

Mashable: Tesla Model X revealed: 250-mile range, Falcon Wing doors, Ludicrous mode
Tesla Model X revealed: 250-mile range, Falcon Wing doors, Ludicrous mode

Business Insider: Here's Tesla's first SUV, the all-electric Model X
Here is the Tesla Model X - Business Insider

Green Car Reports: Tesla Model X: The New Safest SUV?
Tesla Model X: The New Safest SUV?

CNET: Tesla Model X: Getting behind the wheel of an all-electric, high-performance SUV
2016 Tesla Model X Preview - CNET

AOL video:
Tesla Model X Test Drive - AOL On

Fox Business: Tesla Model X a 'Litmus Test' for SUVs and Luxury Cars
Tesla Model X a for SUVs and Luxury Cars | Fox Business
Thanks for compiling all the reviews into one place for me to binge watch haha

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Not me being neurotic at 3am and thinking I can actually build a car much better then the Tesla I jus bought 💁‍♀️😌

the more I look at my car, the more it gives me soccer mom vibes

Don't spill your all farm-to-table-all-organic-conflict-free juice drink!
Model-X-Side-Profile_o.jpg

vs:
Don't spill your Capri Sun!
1682470465410.png