Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X gets t-boned in FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hitting with such velocity/speed behind an ‘immovable object’ (the large battery) would explain where the X would sheer away (rear drive unit and all). Would still rather be in the X than a mini-van or small SUV with such a high speed impact any day of the week.

Agreed. Pretty sure a minivan would have split open like a dropped shopping bag

Reactions: MitchMitch
That's a bit concerning.
I have 4 kids, of which two seat in 3rd row

No car would fare any better. Save the worries for things you can control. The X did a great job and no good outcome will happen with any car getting T-boned at such speeds. Just hope you never find yourself near such a reckless idiot. Nightmare that somehow turned out OK.

Most supercars split upon impact to reduce effects to the occupants. Doubt this is the case for the Tesla but could’ve reduce shock by splitting.

Regardless the amount of force that front engine car must’ve took to bend the A pilar & roof had to be crazy.

I’m not being a Tesla fan boy but I doubt any other car in that size category could’ve took a hit like that.

Glad everyone somewhat walked.

Google "Florida man"
Really? I’m just getting photos of convicts. Are you suggesting that all Floridians are criminals???
FD44DF7B-45CA-45FB-A958-425D01D75EFE.jpeg

You know, the biggest question is going to be "is it going to be totalled?"

No, everyone knows the important question to ask anytime a Tesla is even in the vicinity of an accident is: Was the Tesla on Autopilot?

I’m surprised it wasn’t in the headline, TBH.
“Tesla involved in major accident where someone could have been hurt, unknown whether AP was engaged”

No, everyone knows the important question to ask anytime a Tesla is even in the vicinity of an accident is: Was the Tesla on Autopilot?

I’m surprised it wasn’t in the headline, TBH.
“Tesla involved in major accident where someone could have been hurt, unknown whether AP was engaged”

Haha, true for the news/media world, I was thinking the owner would be coming to ask that :p

Wow that looked bad. Glad Jose was okay and the luck of the timing put the Nissan towards the rear of the car. Feel badly for the other cars caught up in that. Not much sympathy for the Nissan however. Just saw the story on Teslarati. Tesla Model X splits in half after blindsided by Nissan GT-R, Tesla driver walks away unscathed So they pointed out that the Model X didn't flip which most SUVs probably would have given that kind of hit, and by staying on the ground likely reduced the severity of any injuries from being tossed around and upside down. Also no battery damage reported? How is that possible? Does the MX battery sit infront of the most rear area that got ripped off? Looking at the video posted by Ilya Freyberg, (at -5:11) is that the end of the battery pack we see there still in place on the car?

The Model X was apparently a livery vehicle (Tesla Transportation Florida) and if you look up the company it's owner is Jose Diaz the driver. No doubt apart from loss of the car there will be other damages for loss of business vehicle. I hope he gets made whole by the other guy/insurance company. As bad as it was for him it certainly was his lucky day in many ways. He looked uninjured in the Freyburg video there on his phone--probably calling his family.

BTW the ABC10 coverage (linked to in Teslarati article) said the Nissan driver will be cited for that crash. Hope cited mean charged and locked up for that excess speed while he awaits trial. Given the damage to the Tesla, the other two cars caught up in it and his own vehicle I can't help but wonder what kind of insurance coverage he had. Probably not enough to cover. So fortunate there was no loss of life and no pedestrians in the area were involved.

BTW that Ilya Freyberg FB video is amazing to watch and see how the car did outside and in.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Wow that looked bad. Glad Jose was okay and the luck of the timing put the Nissan towards the rear of the car. Feel badly for the other cars caught up in that. Not much sympathy for the Nissan however. Just saw the story on Teslarati. Tesla Model X splits in half after blindsided by Nissan GT-R, Tesla driver walks away unscathed So they pointed out that the Model X didn't flip which most SUVs probably would have given that kind of hit, and by staying on the ground likely reduced the severity of any injuries from being tossed around and upside down. Also no battery damage reported? How is that possible? Does the MX battery sit infront of the most rear area that got ripped off? Looking at the video posted by Ilya Freyberg, (at -5:11) is that the end of the battery pack we see there still in place on the car?

The Model X was apparently a livery vehicle (Tesla Transportation Florida) and if you look up the company it's owner is Jose Diaz the driver. No doubt apart from loss of the car there will be other damages for loss of business vehicle. I hope he gets made whole by the other guy/insurance company. As bad as it was for him it certainly was his lucky day in many ways. He looked uninjured in the Freyburg video there on his phone--probably calling his family.

BTW the ABC10 coverage (linked to in Teslarati article) said the Nissan driver will be cited for that crash. Hope cited mean charged and locked up for that excess speed while he awaits trial. Given the damage to the Tesla, the other two cars caught up in it and his own vehicle I can't help but wonder what kind of insurance coverage he had. Probably not enough to cover. So fortunate there was no loss of life and no pedestrians in the area were involved.

BTW that Ilya Freyberg FB video is amazing to watch and see how the car did outside and in.
The guy driving the Nissan GTR is a YouTuber with 1.5 million followers and just the fact that he was dancing and singing after the crash shows what type of person he is.

The guy driving the Nissan GTR is a YouTuber with 1.5 million followers and just the fact that he was dancing and singing after the crash shows what type of person he is.

The woman in the flag dress kept telling him to sit down and earlier yelled at him that he could have killed someone. The way he was acting made me wonder what he might be on. Certainly not the way the vast majority of people act after being in a severe accident like that. Given all the $damage he caused and loss of the Tesla's business income, and his own car, I don't see he had much to dance about.