Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in Canada - Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Modelxancaster. I am truly sorry that you have to back away from your Model X purchase.:crying: My comment above about increasing our limit to $500K was "tongue in cheek". This vehicle is a significant % of our net worth & cost almost as much as we paid for our town home, 10 years ago. Since my wife & I are now both retired, it is time to spend our "rainy day" savings. AKA "children's inheritance". Please attempt to console yourself by remembering that, if you still have a burning desire for a Tesla, go online @12:01am on April 1st & deposit $1,000 of your $5,000 Model X refund on a Tesla 3 & rekindle the dream. :love:

Last edited:
@Modelxancaster
Penalizing the pioneers. I can assure you that at least 50-60% of the Canadian Model-X orders will be cancelled. At least I made some money on my $5K deposit : )[/QUOTE said:
I totally agree with you . It sucks. Don't ask for refund right away , play with the design studio when invited and then cancel it. I am in the same boat as you are , it gives me jitters reading all the issues that are being posted as my nearest SC is Vancouver. I plan to wait and see the design studio and will decide then. I will reserve Model 3 on April 1st online.

Quite frankly , I've been offered a low km , fully loaded used Model P85 in the $90K range and will likely still get my Tesla experience with that. I see lots of them for sale in the used car sections. Most people selling used that bought before the currency dropped don't realize their car has appreciated because of the $. That's where the deals and value are right now ( if you can call $90K value ).

@Modelxancaster

I totally agree with you . It sucks. Don't ask for refund right away , play with the design studio when invited and then cancel it. I am in the same boat as you are , it gives me jitters reading all the issues that are being posted as my nearest SC is Vancouver. I plan to wait and see the design studio and will decide then. I will reserve Model 3 on April 1st online.

i am also thinking about droping my order. its getting too expensive. bye my model x :(

Quite frankly , I've been offered a low km , fully loaded used Model P85 in the $90K range and will likely still get my Tesla experience with that. I see lots of them for sale in the used car sections. Most people selling used that bought before the currency dropped don't realize their car has appreciated because of the $. That's where the deals and value are right now ( if you can call $90K value ).

There are good offers on demo model S too, if you can bargain.

You are referring to an Ontario rebate. This doesn't affect the rest of the country's buying decision, or am I missing something here?

Your deposit was in CDN funds, was it not?

Jon

I think there is a little misunderstanding here. To the best of my knowledge our CDN deposits will be returned in CDN $. No currency exchange advantage here.
And yes, the Rebate we have discussed above applies to Ontario only.

IMHO, as a staunch proponent of the green vehicle movement, at no time did I consider the original $8,500 Ontario rebate as a significant advantage to buying a Tesla.
I am pleased with Ontario Premier Wynne's government decision to reduce the electric vehicle incentive to the more affluent Ontarians. Although I intend to apply for the $3,000 incentive and use the money for a Tesla 3 purchase, I am glad that the extra $5,500 not sent to me, will be used to reduce the finally price on an electrical vehicle for another Ontarian.
I am sure that this change in policy is aimed directly at Tesla S & X sales going forward. Tesla 3 will cost $50K to $60K Cdn. when available in 2020 @ which time the $14,000 incentive will help many more Ontarians move away from ICE vehicles, hopefully, forever.

Last edited:
IMHO, as a staunch proponent of the green vehicle movement, at no time did I consider the original $8,500 Ontario rebate as a significant advantage to buying a Tesla.
I am pleased with Ontario Premier Wynne's government decision to reduce the electric vehicle incentive to the more affluent Ontarians. Although I intend to apply for the $3,000 incentive and use the money for a Tesla 3 purchase, I am glad that the extra $5,500 not sent to me, will be used to reduce the finally price on an electrical vehicle for another Ontarian.
I am sure that this change in policy is aimed directly at Tesla S & X sales going forward. Tesla 3 will cost $50K to $60K Cdn. when available in 2020 @ which time the $14,000 incentive will help many more Ontarians move away from ICE vehicles, hopefully, forever.

by the time model 3 is out goverment will for sure reduce the incentive.

by the time model 3 is out goverment will for sure reduce the incentive.

The Ontario EV purchase incentive program has existed for almost 6 years. It is very likely that most of the maximum $8,500 incentive dollars over the past 6 years went out to Tesla owners. The Tesla Roadster,S & X were never designed for the mass market. I am sure the Ontario Government is well aware of Tesla Model 3 coming to Canada around 2020. The EV incentive program, revised on February 10th. 2016, is now set up to reward mass market purchases of EVs & I anticipate this current level of rebate will continue for many years. Future Tesla Model S & X buyers will receive a rebate of only $3,000 going forward. The early Telsa adopters or "pioneers" have already been handsomely rewarded with $8,500 for their Tesla purchase.

May I suggest that the Canadian Sig X list is "CURRENTLY" closed for a specific reason. If, as I suspect, there remain only 50 Signature vehicles allocated to Canada. The word "currently" suggests that of the 50 invitations already sent out to Canadians on the wait list, not all have configure to date. I suspect that as each invitation expires, another one will open until 50 vehicles have been purchased in Canada. Since we don't have access to the total # of confirmations to date, I suggest you do what even is necessary to get on the list, which includes getting another $35K to Tesla ASAP.

Thanks for your input! I was put in touch with another individual at Tesla (thanks vandacca!) who reiterated that the list is closed, even after I offered to put the larger deposit down immediately. Guess it'll be a production X for me!

I heard that there are only 25 Signatures in Canada. If that's true, then I would expect production deliveries to start very soon after the Signature deliveries are completed.

Now that is an interesting development. If that is the case, I wonder if the extra 25 Sig vehicles previously offered to Canadians & subsequently declined, will be offered to the Chinese since Tesla appears to be planning on inviting the Asian market to configure Tesla Sig X vehicles in the near future.
I therefore agree with your suggestion that Canadian production reservations will be invited to configure "soon".

I am still waiting for my VIN & will report ASAP.

I heard that there are only 25 Signatures in Canada. If that's true, then I would expect production deliveries to start very soon after the Signature deliveries are completed.
I am unsure if we will ever confirm the exact number. I saw the number 25 in another thread as well, when I asked last night at the Auto Show I was told that the number 25 was not confirmed to anyone.

A winter wheel package for the Model X is now available from the Tesla Store. Unfortunately, it comes with 19" wheels with 8.5" width rims. This appears to be the same package available for the Model S. Since my SigX will unlikely be delivered until the snow has gone for this season, I am going to wait until next fall to purchase a winter package. Hopefully by that time they will be offering a Model X specific package. My Model X comes with 20", 9.0" width front & 9.5" width rear. Maybe TireRack will have something by next fall.

A winter wheel package for the Model X is now available from the Tesla Store. Unfortunately, it comes with 19" wheels with 8.5" width rims. This appears to be the same package available for the Model S. Since my SigX will unlikely be delivered until the snow has gone for this season, I am going to wait until next fall to purchase a winter package. Hopefully by that time they will be offering a Model X specific package. My Model X comes with 20", 9.0" width front & 9.5" width rear. Maybe TireRack will have something by next fall.

Update: After a little more research, I now realize that the winter wheel package which recently showed up in the Tesla store for my SigX is exactly what I need for next winter. Upon further investigation, I now know that the 4 identical size set comes with 19" rims so that the aspect ratio would be higher. This means that the overall diameter, of the wheel & tire combined, is the same as the stock wheels. More rubber & less alloy gives you better pothole protection for the rough Canadian winter. Since the tires will be manufacturer date coded, I will delay purchase until the fall.
Not cheap but what else in new? Unfortunately I am anticipating a low dollar conversion rate. Estimated price next fall in Ontario, $7,200 Cdn taxes included.