TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Matte Wrap and Possible Sensor Problems

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MichaelATX, Aug 2, 2016.

1. MichaelATX

MichaelATX Member

I installed a 3M brand matte vehicle wrap on my new Model X (titanium color). The wrap looks great, but there seems to be a few glitches with the sensors. First, the passenger side falcon wing door is displaying an "obstacle detected" warning and not fully closing (stops about 8" short) about 50% of the time. Second--and this could just be my imagination--the parking sensors don't seem to be quite as sensitive as they were before. Before installing, I looked on the various Tesla forums and it appeared that vinyl wraps do not affect sensor performance. However, I was wondering if anyone has wrapped a Model X and experienced problems, especially with the falcon wing door sensors. I can go back and uncover the sensors if necessary, but the color contrast isn't desirable.

I have attached a couple photos of the titanium wrap with most of the chrome blacked out. IMG_6617.JPG IMG_6618.JPG IMG_6620.JPG

• Like x 1
  2. outie

outie Member

Can't really help you there but it looks awesome!

• Like x 1
  3. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

Gotta say: "Damn sexy!"

4. Piney999

Piney999 Member

How much for a wrap like that? It looks very nice!

5. MichaelATX

MichaelATX Member

Thanks for the compliment. I am happy with how it turned out.

6. MichaelATX

MichaelATX Member

The total cost was $4,500. It was a little more than average because I had the door jams wrapped and blacked out most of the chrome. It cost an extra $1,100 for the door jams. Because the Model X has so much glass, a wrap doesn't require a great deal of vinyl.

7. MichaelATX

MichaelATX Member

I also have a set of ESE Carbon Rims on order, but based on the thread on that issue, that might be wishful thinking.

8. 1208

1208 Active Member

Looks great!

9. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

@MichaelATX, can you expand on the ESE issue? Which thread?

10. MichaelATX

MichaelATX Member

The issue is ESE Carbon has a beautiful prototype for an 11-13 lbs carbon rim, but there have been some delays. Now there is required lab testing that some speculate will further delay the product. Others caution that it may all be vaporware. I have talked to Victor and he assures me everything is on track and the lab testing was a planned test and always part of the timeline. I have been told to expect my rims to ship around October 20th.

Here is the thread:

Carbon Fiber Rims

• Informative x 1
  11. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

Looks awesome! Where did you have the wrap done?

12. HookBill

HookBill Member

Your car looked SO good that everyone wanted more info about the looks and seem to have forgotten about that question you wanted answered. LOL

13. docBliny

docBliny Member

Beautiful! Sorry, I don't know about the sensor issue, though ;) I do recall seeing some references to having to re-calibrate the FWD sensors after wraps (and something about other sensors having cutouts for pre-made wrap templates).

//TB

14. MichaelATX

MichaelATX Member

Graphic Guys in Austin, Texas wrapped it. Total cost was $4,500 with chrome black out and door jams.

15. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

So the color coming through is the original titanium color...and the "wrap" makes it appear matte b/c it's not clear (see through)?? I bet it would look awesome on midnight silver metallic too!

Is there a warranty on the wrap? How durable is it? Did they make cut-outs for the sensors? It's hard to see from the pics...

16. MichaelATX

MichaelATX Member

This isn't a clear wrap. It is an opaque vinyl wrap and what you are seeing is the matter color of the warp. They did no cut out the sensors--which might be the source of the problem.

17. pjotr

pjotr Member

Did you ever get to any conclusion about this? I have booked wrap on Monday, and I'm worried about the sensors as well. I chose the 3M Matte Charcole Metallic...

18. number12

number12 Member

Also looking to put on 3M... was it 3M pro.

Do you think it was the 3M or the black out... was black out a 3M product or something else?

Is there a price break down on work... wrap vs black out. Also is that entire vehicle?