Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Matte Wrap and Possible Sensor Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a 3M brand matte vehicle wrap on my new Model X (titanium color). The wrap looks great, but there seems to be a few glitches with the sensors. First, the passenger side falcon wing door is displaying an "obstacle detected" warning and not fully closing (stops about 8" short) about 50% of the time. Second--and this could just be my imagination--the parking sensors don't seem to be quite as sensitive as they were before. Before installing, I looked on the various Tesla forums and it appeared that vinyl wraps do not affect sensor performance. However, I was wondering if anyone has wrapped a Model X and experienced problems, especially with the falcon wing door sensors. I can go back and uncover the sensors if necessary, but the color contrast isn't desirable.

I have attached a couple photos of the titanium wrap with most of the chrome blacked out.
IMG_6617.JPG
IMG_6618.JPG
IMG_6620.JPG

Reactions: 1208
@MichaelATX, can you expand on the ESE issue? Which thread?

The issue is ESE Carbon has a beautiful prototype for an 11-13 lbs carbon rim, but there have been some delays. Now there is required lab testing that some speculate will further delay the product. Others caution that it may all be vaporware. I have talked to Victor and he assures me everything is on track and the lab testing was a planned test and always part of the timeline. I have been told to expect my rims to ship around October 20th.

Here is the thread:

Carbon Fiber Rims

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Beautiful! Sorry, I don't know about the sensor issue, though ;) I do recall seeing some references to having to re-calibrate the FWD sensors after wraps (and something about other sensors having cutouts for pre-made wrap templates).

//TB

Graphic Guys in Austin, Texas wrapped it. Total cost was $4,500 with chrome black out and door jams.
So the color coming through is the original titanium color...and the "wrap" makes it appear matte b/c it's not clear (see through)?? I bet it would look awesome on midnight silver metallic too!

Is there a warranty on the wrap? How durable is it? Did they make cut-outs for the sensors? It's hard to see from the pics...

So the color coming through is the original titanium color...and the "wrap" makes it appear matte b/c it's not clear (see through)?? I bet it would look awesome on midnight silver metallic too!

Is there a warranty on the wrap? How durable is it? Did they make cut-outs for the sensors? It's hard to see from the pics...

This isn't a clear wrap. It is an opaque vinyl wrap and what you are seeing is the matter color of the warp. They did no cut out the sensors--which might be the source of the problem.

I installed a 3M brand matte vehicle wrap on my new Model X (titanium color). The wrap looks great, but there seems to be a few glitches with the sensors. First, the passenger side falcon wing door is displaying an "obstacle detected" warning and not fully closing (stops about 8" short) about 50% of the time. Second--and this could just be my imagination--the parking sensors don't seem to be quite as sensitive as they were before. Before installing, I looked on the various Tesla forums and it appeared that vinyl wraps do not affect sensor performance. However, I was wondering if anyone has wrapped a Model X and experienced problems, especially with the falcon wing door sensors. I can go back and uncover the sensors if necessary, but the color contrast isn't desirable.

I have attached a couple photos of the titanium wrap with most of the chrome blacked out.View attachment 188361 View attachment 188362 View attachment 188364

Did you ever get to any conclusion about this? I have booked wrap on Monday, and I'm worried about the sensors as well. I chose the 3M Matte Charcole Metallic...

Also looking to put on 3M... was it 3M pro.

Do you think it was the 3M or the black out... was black out a 3M product or something else?

Is there a price break down on work... wrap vs black out. Also is that entire vehicle?