Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those tires come in both 245/45 R20 and 265/46 R20 so no help with simply looking at availability.

It just looks like a 6 to me. Also, this is an SUV not a sedan. Model S comes with 245 width tires and I would expect Model X to have larger ones. Also, comparable vehicles, like the Q7 have even larger tires on the 20" wheel (275). Add that to my earlier though that it looks like a 6 and it makes me think they're 265s.

I could very well be wrong but, to me, 265 makes more sense than 245.

The Model X is by definition a crossover, not an SUV.

You may be right about the size on the tire, but it's impossible to tell for sure. From the standpoint of lower priced tire options and just more options in general (Tire Rack shows 39 choices in 245/45 R20 and 23 choices for 265/45 R20) I hope it's the smaller tire. Only 1/3 inch difference in ride height.

Road clearance as well, perhaps, and maybe load capacity?
What has load range to do with towing? A proper trailer will exert little tongue weight.
Your point is taken. "Little tongue weight" is, however, a relative term. Proper weight distribution trailer-and-vehicle can put 1,500 lbs on the car, and that, if combined with a full vehicular load, makes tire load range an important criterion.

On my way home from work today I was on the 280 freeway and decided to make a quick detour to the Tesla Motors HQ in Palo Alto, which is where @FlatSix911 took these photos. I drove through every parking lot around the building (yes including at the rear) and did not see an X. I saw many Model S and 6 Roadsters, 4 under a tent at the south side and 2 out front charging.
Here are a few high resolution photos that I took today ... many details are now clear on the front and rear views.

View attachment 90129

View attachment 90130

On my way home from work today I was on the 280 freeway and decided to make a quick detour to the Tesla Motors HQ in Palo Alto, which is where @FlatSix911 took these photos. I drove through every parking lot around the building (yes including at the rear) and did not see an X. I saw many Model S and 6 Roadsters, 4 under a tent at the south side and 2 out front charging.

I also work on Deer Creek road in Palo Alto and you just have to know where to find the Model X engineering cars ... :wink:
Driving my Model S with plates removed seems to work well and provides maximum access ... stay tuned for more photos.

- - - Updated - - -

FlatSix911: Thank you for the added insight!

Could you post a higher-resolution crop of the tires? So we could make out the sizes better? Thank you.

Here is a enlarged view of the front tire ... it looks like 245/45 R20.

Tire detail.JPG

The Model X is by definition a crossover, not an SUV.

You may be right about the size on the tire, but it's impossible to tell for sure. From the standpoint of lower priced tire options and just more options in general (Tire Rack shows 39 choices in 245/45 R20 and 23 choices for 265/45 R20) I hope it's the smaller tire. Only 1/3 inch difference in ride height.

Okay, okay it's a CUV. I suppose there really are only a couple true SUVs on the market anymore. The point stands, however, that CUVs, especially performance versions like the Q7 and the Model X are heavier than their sedan counterparts and, generally, come with wider tires.

We shall see. Perhaps the next person to spot one in the wild will take a close up of the tires and put this question to bed.

Okay, okay it's a CUV. I suppose there really are only a couple true SUVs on the market anymore. The point stands, however, that CUVs, especially performance versions like the Q7 and the Model X are heavier than their sedan counterparts and, generally, come with wider tires.

We shall see. Perhaps the next person to spot one in the wild will take a close up of the tires and put this question to bed.

One small comment:

Audi Q7 is a real SUV, though. At least the first generation (based on the Touareg, not A6). Second-gen (2016) Q7 might be a bit more arguable.

Model X is a CUV of course.

One small comment:

Audi Q7 is a real SUV, though. At least the first generation (based on the Touareg, not A6). Second-gen (2016) Q7 might be a bit more arguable.

That depends entirely on one's criteria. Both the Touareg and Q7 use unit-body construction as opposed to body-on-frame construction of a traditional SUV. One might take the stance that such a difference is the dividing line between a CUV and an SUV.

I'm not the only one who classifies the Q7 as a CUV. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

Last edited:
That depends entirely on one's criteria. Both the Touareg and Q7 use unit-body construction as opposed to body-on-frame construction of a traditional SUV. One might take the stance that such a difference is the dividing line between a CUV and an SUV.

I'm not the only one who classifies the Q7 as a CUV. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

Fair enough.

This may also be a U.S. vs. Europe difference of perception.

But to compare Q7 and Model X, one of them evolved from a sedan/hatch (Model X) and one did not (Q7).

Fair enough.

This may also be a U.S. vs. Europe difference of perception.

But to compare Q7 and Model X, one of them evolved from a sedan/hatch (Model X) and one did not (Q7).

It also doesn't really matter for the discussion. Whatever the name you give it, Model X will be heavier than Model S and will need more rubber contacting the road for handling purposes. That's why I'm thinking we'll see wider tires. (245 for Model S and 265 for Model X)

It also doesn't really matter for the discussion. Whatever the name you give it, Model X will be heavier than Model S and will need more rubber contacting the road for handling purposes. That's why I'm thinking we'll see wider tires. (245 for Model S and 265 for Model X)

FWIW, I think those tyres can be 265. Or 245. Both numbers seem plausible looking at the image.

FlatSix911: Thanks for posting the image!

I also work on Deer Creek road in Palo Alto and you just have to know where to find the Model X engineering cars ... :wink:
Driving my Model S with plates removed seems to work well and provides maximum access ... stay tuned for more photos.
Okay, then show us the photos! [emoji3]
Your photo appeared to show an X at the rear of the building. Yesterday I drove slowly through that same area, and there was no X. Of course I am not assuming that it would always be there.

As someone who's spent far too many hours looking at lower quality scans of architectural and structural prints, I say that is a "265," with 95% certainty.
I agree the larger picture is looking more like 265 to me now. A quick check of tires in this size turns up very few if any results at my local tire stores whereas there's a ton in 245 size. I hope they don't go with something so obscure you have to special order them and pay to the moon.

Last edited:
One small comment:

Um... 1st Generation? Hardly. the Chevy Suburban has been around since the 40s/50s. How about Ford Bronco, Dodge Ramcharger, Plymouth Trailduster, Jeep Wagoneer and Chevrolet Blazer, all 60s/70s. the first "SUV" by today's standards might be the 1984 Jeep Cherokee, according to the Henry Ford Museum transportation curator

- - - Updated - - -

Dang... not a plaid shirt in the bunch! Guy engineers like me though... we still dress with geranimals (sp)

I agree the larger picture is looking more like 265 to me now. A quick check of tires in this size turns up very few if any results at my local tire stores whereas there's a ton in 245 size. I hope they don't go with something so obscure you have to special order them and pay to the moon.

I still see 245, but 265 is plausible. If so, that could make the optional size 265/40 21, which is almost identical in size to 265/45 20, and has a lot of performance options available:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=265%2F&ratio=40&diameter=21&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=

I suppose it could also be 265/35 22, which also has a fair number of options:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=265%2F&ratio=35&diameter=22&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=