Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, the adaptive spoiler is totally there. ;)
I can't tell.
aGTBEIT.png

@Earlian, thanks for the video screen caps and thanks to the OP for that video. The street intersection pictured is just a few minutes drive from Tesla's Palo Alto HQ.

In this image I think I see something that no one has commented on and is a major change from the X beta and the S: there appear to be two stacked center displays, not one. Take a look:

View attachment 80622

Definitely not my video. Saw a link to it on the Facebook Model X Owners Club page. Can't wait to at least see the design studio!!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't think so. And big thanks for posting and a warm welcome to TMC. Did you record that?

Definitely not my video. Saw a link to it on the Facebook Model X Owners Club page. Can't wait to at least see the design studio!!
Still learning how to nav and post correctly..

@Earlian, thanks for the video screen caps and thanks to the OP for that video. The street intersection pictured is just a few minutes drive from Tesla's Palo Alto HQ.

In this image I think I see something that no one has commented on and is a major change from the X beta and the S: there appear to be two stacked center displays, not one. Take a look:

I'm not seeing it. I believe I see a split screen there...but it looks like one display to me.

View attachment 80622

I don't know if it's two screens, it might just be a visual border between the top and bottom windows the driver has up. It's been a while since I sat in a model s, but I do agree with you that the screen seems larger than 17"

I'm not seeing it. I believe I see a split screen there...but it looks like one display to me.
If that X center display is a single screen (and the pictured display are is clearly around twice the height of the S center display) the aspect ratio is unlike any any mass produced display I am aware of, which means it will be significantly more costly since the production volume will be relatively low compared to PC displays. It would make more sense for Tesla to use two screens, stacked, to keep the cost down

If that X center display is a single screen (and the pictured display are is clearly around twice the height of the S center display) the aspect ratio is unlike any any mass produced display I am aware of, which means it will be significantly more costly since the production volume will be relatively low compared to PC displays. It would make more sense for Tesla to use two screens, stacked, to keep the cost down

I agree with that, it's just that it looks seamless to me.

Do you really think the entry level Model X will be priced at $70K when a 70D starts at $75K?

I remember E.M. talking more then once about "goal is a max. single digit higher price then Model S"

So to translate this (remember when they say Summer, they mean September) marketing language to real world:

higher then model S price, didn't mean the price at the time they said this, so not compared to the S60 entry level. And single digit doesn't mean 1%, it means 7-9%

So here we are, shortly before summer begins.

75.000+8%=81.000 entry + all known extras and some more (third row!)

Disclaimer: I don't want to shock potential customers, just better be prepared for this and then perhaps be e little bit happy, if this time the exception hits the universe.

Last edited:
I remember E.M. talking more then once about "goal is a max. single digit higher price then Model S"

So to translate this (remember when they say Summer, they mean September) marketing language to real world:

higher then model S price, didn't mean the price at the time they said this, so not compared to the S60 entry level. And single digit doesn't mean 1%, it means 7-9%

So here we are, shortly before summer begins.

75.000+8%=81.000 entry + all known extras and some more (third row!)

Disclaimer: I don't want to shock potential customers, just better be prepared for this and then perhaps be e little bit happy, if this time the exception hits the universe.

For some reason, I assumed Elon was talking about the base 85D when discussing price comparison. I will be pleasantly surprised if he wasn't, of course.

AnxietyRanger, it looks like 1 piece of glass to me. The bottom couple of inches appears to be some kind of non-glass trim. Maybe this trim will pop-up at high speeds?

I agree that the console still looks like the Model-S 17" display. The horizontal line looked like an on-screen border, rather than two screens mated together. But I'm very thankful that the 17" console is more integrated to the dash. I thought the prototype display looked odd and didn't flow with the rest of the dash.

Finally, did someone say that they saw a camera on the side-mirrors? I've looked at the video and screen-grabs numerous times and could not see any indication of a camera. If you see one, can you post a picture and highlight what you see? I really hope that the production Model-X has rear-facing side cameras and removable mirrors so that they can be removed when the laws catch up. But I'm skeptical that it will happen. Elon Musk did say in 2012 that he was considering putting in removable side mirrors and allowing owners to remove them, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Tesla would need to point out why they legally can't do that, or something.

Last edited:

View attachment 80622

I was hoping you were correct. However, I believe the attached photo of a Model S at nearly the same angle shows a similar display.
Model-S-17-inch-Built--Display.jpg

I'm assuming at this point it will be an X70D and it will begin at $79,900 + delivery + taxes.

If they follow the same options price list as the Model S, that means that larger batteries will be very profitable, as they have surely dropped in manufacturing cost since 2012 when the 85KWh battery option was first priced.

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping you were correct. However, I believe the attached photo of a Model S at nearly the same angle shows a similar display.
View attachment 80657

Thanks for including that picture! The Model X appears nearly identical, even down to the HVAC vents. I noticed under the left vent (left of the dashboard), there is nothing but flat trim, looks like the old lacewood in this picture. (RIP) I see a similar flat panel in the Model X video... I was expecting to see more complexity regarding mirrors, but perhaps this car has nothing because they are not driving "mirrorless" cars around out in the open yet to keep that feature a secret. Or, perhaps, the whole mirror thing has become legendary and they are not now doing anything different with mirrors. Which would be disappointing, as Elon continually repeats that he intends for Tesla's production cars to exceed the quality and functionality of the prototypes in every way (yet here, we see a production car with conventional mirrors). The simple explanation is that the mirrorless, uh, mirrors, are an option you have to pay for, and the base car, which they're driving, has conventional mirrors.

Great video, though I will point out, as others have in reference to other videos, camera angle and lens distortion can be deceiving. However, does look like the screen is slightly larger. Excited to see one in person soon! As long as Canada is getting their models in a similar timeframe as the US...

I'm assuming at this point it will be an X70D and it will begin at $79,900 + delivery + taxes.

If they follow the same options price list as the Model S, that means that larger batteries will be very profitable, as they have surely dropped in manufacturing cost since 2012 when the 85KWh battery option was first priced.

You imply a price reduction over all battery sizes?

Why would they increase European S prizes by small percentages 2 month before a big overall lowering is on the schedule?

Feels like they still need all margin they can get, for now.