Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That person posted, quote: "Just drove to the Fremont Factory to Supercharge and every day I drive by there are always a couple Model S cars going around their test track for testing. But today was different, I saw two Model X's going through the Test Track."
Wait a minute...I've been to the Fremont factory delivery area and Supercharger location several times. You can't see the test track from there! The gigantic factory building is in the way, and my X-ray vision never seems to work when I'm in Fremont, damn it.

That person posted, quote: "Just drove to the Fremont Factory to Supercharge and every day I drive by there are always a couple Model S cars going around their test track for testing. But today was different, I saw two Model X's going through the Test Track."
Wait a minute...I've been to the Fremont factory delivery area and Supercharger location several times. You can't see the test track from there! The gigantic factory building is in the way, and my X-ray vision never seems to work when I'm in Fremont, damn it.

For the record, I charged my Roadster there yesterday and today - yesterday over at the Service Center (thanks for moving a car, guys!) and today over by the factory, along the wall. No sign of an X anywhere, but (yeah, I know, hard to believe) I wasn't really looking that hard. And no, you can't see the test track from that side of the building. I suppose if I'd driven around on Kato Road, I could have observed the test track for awhile. Sorry! Didn't do it. :)

He was on Kato road right next to a loop of the track.

8OTx6PS.jpg

This is the view from the Mission/Kato Rd Ramp

Capture.PNG

reddit poster said:
I actually liked it more than all the previous shots I've seen of them. I was just driving by and noticed the vehicles on the test track looked different. Didn't take me long to figure out they weren't a Model S but a Model X. The biggest take aways were the Day Time Running LED's were on, haven't seen those in any of the shots and the Door Handles looked flushed. The Falcon Wing Doors didn't appear to be not aligned liked I saw several Beta Vehicles ago.
Both vehicles were black but they were not all blacked out. They looked like production vehicles. I only saw one vehicle take the bank turn (turn closes to me by the road) the other vehicle was driving over the rumble strips on the far end.
Didn't see this posted.

This is a perfect example of how people read sources too literally on TMC and then go on to question them without stopping to think could there be a reasonable explanation. People aren't perfect when they report stuff. It is not all a big deception, guys, when people come out with Tesla findings. :)

with all these new pics coming out of the near production version, it makes me really glad I have the S instead of an X. IMO the model X is really really ugly looking. its just not right. very oddly shaped. nowhere near the sharpness of the Model S.

View attachment 89113

To me, it looks 'odd' just as the X6 or 5 series Gran Turismo BMWs look 'odd'. At the end of the day it's a coupe, parading as a sedan, parading as a CUV. It's gonna look different. That second 'extension' isn't 'natural' in today's car fleet.

Otherwise, it would just need to be more angular like a traditional SUV/CUV shape...

In my mind, the X won't be as sexy as the S. But it will still be good (I hope) and the benefits will make the looks difference not matter.

And if not, then I'll just re-up for another S, but with larger pack and dual motors...

To me, it looks 'odd' just as the X6 or 5 series Gran Turismo BMWs look 'odd'. At the end of the day it's a coupe, parading as a sedan, parading as a CUV. It's gonna look different. That second 'extension' isn't 'natural' in today's car fleet.

Otherwise, it would just need to be more angular like a traditional SUV/CUV shape...

In my mind, the X won't be as sexy as the S. But it will still be good (I hope) and the benefits will make the looks difference not matter.

And if not, then I'll just re-up for another S, but with larger pack and dual motors...

Agreed. I think the Model S is dead sexy, but the fastback slope of the rear window just doesn't scale well to the proportions of the X. That's especially true now that it looks like they've had to embiggen the roof over the back seat, presumably for headroom.

Honestly, a much better solution is the one that Porsche uses on the Cayenne/Macan, as seen in the Sport Turismo concept:

Driving Debut: Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo - YouTube

*That* roofline, or one like it, would have worked a lot better on the X, IMHO.

04-2015-porsche-cayenne-s-fd-1.jpg

porsche-panamera-sport-turismo-wagon-concept-photo-476517-s-986x603.jpg

Last edited: