Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X OEM Swiveling Screen Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything delivered now has swivel. I think the break over point was somewhere in the 344s. Mine is an early 345 delivered in June and has it. It is kind of a meh feature though. It doesn’t really move very far

Not to mention the cheap, rattly plastic it exposes. It makes some truly lovely noises over crappy concrete roads when swiveled toward you. Put your hand under the screen when its swiveled toward you and poke at the plastic shroud. It's so bad!

I took a screenshot of the website two weeks after I ordered my car. It says I am supposed to have Left-Right TILT...
The snapshot is dated February 2, 2021... good to know... attached is a copy:

Attachments​

• Dash 1.JPG
    Dash 1.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 69
Good luck. Let us know how your interaction with Tesla goes (99% sure there's some fine print somewhere that's going to absolve them here).

I have not tried to contact them. I was just passing the information on to forum. I think I will "gently" ask about it in a few months, when they have had an opportunity to catch up... who knows, might get lucky...
IMO at a minimum they should offer retrofits like this (that are entirely feasible, anyway) for a price at least. But yeah we need to get to a world where Tesla service isn't completely overwhelmed first.

I took a screenshot of the website two weeks after I ordered my car. It says I am supposed to have Left-Right TILT...
The snapshot is dated February 2, 2021... good to know... attached is a copy:

Attachments​

• Dash 1.JPG
    Dash 1.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 69
Now make sure you send it to Tesla Service Request with a demand for a correction or upgrade or repair or retrofit or however you want to word it. Let's all do this!

I have not tried to contact them. I was just passing the information on to forum. I think I will "gently" ask about it in a few months, when they have had an opportunity to catch up... who knows, might get lucky...
Do not be gentle, they will not respond. We must be vocal and obnoxious! That is the only way we will be heard and taken care of.
When I first took my car in for corrections, I said "no worries keep my car as long as you like, I know you are busy" They kept my car for 3 months and still didn't fix the problems. My point is that I learned I had to be persistent and my own best advocate or they will not take care of me or you.
Keep in mind as time goes on, we the tilting screen denied, are a smaller and smaller percentage of all the refresh models made and we will become less and less important to them, just crumbs swept from the banquet feast table.

To all those early adopters who were screwed out of the advertised and promised tilting screen in their refreshed Model S or Model X, I propose bombarding Elon Musk on Twitter to see if we can get him to do the right thing and get us our tilting screens.
I plan to post something to Elon every day. If we all do the same, we may get a response and a resolution.
Here's some links to my posts.
Copy verbatim or use your own words.
As you can see you can post an original tweet to your twitter account or reply to one of Elon's many tweets. Please do both and do it now.
Let's get our promised and advertised tilting motorized screen that we were screwed out of
PLEASE JOIN ME!

To all those early adopters who were screwed out of the advertised and promised tilting screen in their refreshed Model S or Model X, I propose bombarding Elon Musk on Twitter to see if we can get him to do the right thing and get us our tilting screens.
I plan to post something to Elon every day. If we all do the same, we may get a response and a resolution.
Here's some links to my posts.
Copy verbatim or use your own words.
As you can see you can post an original tweet to your twitter account or reply to one of Elon's many tweets. Please do both and do it now.
Let's get our promised and advertised tilting motorized screen that we were screwed out of
PLEASE JOIN ME!
I don't think you're going to get anywhere with this. It wasn't promised on the final contract that you signed at pickup, as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: Great White
I am going to agree with EV3_ on this one. Just for fun, I was the first to do/document/post a how to on the first MSLR refresh to run the screen out manually using a drill as everything exists except the motors. I ran it out into the optimum position and never touched it. Out of further curiosity and low cost, I purchased the updated mounting unit for the MSLR/Plaid that has the motors, installed it and wired it to two toggle switches mounted to the Service Access Panel and can now run it out at will either left or right but.....I never do....as the position facing me is optimum but it was a fun project just to see if I could do it. Follow the guide in the MS forums on this topic and run it out towards you and 95% of people will be totally happy.

Probably not a popular viewpoint here, but I got the swiveling screen. I used it twice to check it out, and never used it again. IMO a nothingburger
I really like it. It's not worth trading in the car for an updated model with it, but having it and then not having it in another car is just... jarring. You only realize how nice it is when you switch to another S that doesn't have it (or center the display after having it pointed at you for even just a few minutes). Then it just feels wrong to have it centered! That said, I always center it when I have passengers in the car as it feels a bit... selfish otherwise.

Reactions: Proppilot