Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X or Y for our family?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cost difference in terms of ownership is going to be a lot lower for a Model Y. You can expect a Y to hold its value for longer (new in demand model that's probably production limited). The energy efficiency is much better, the battery tech is likely better (less chance of supercharging getting throttled), and the supercharging is likely faster--at least until Plaid Model X comes out. Higher efficiency also means faster AC charging as 30 or 48 amp level 2 charging gets you a lot more miles per hour charged.

View attachment 515083
your post basically makes no sense.

how do you know the cost of ownership for a car that hasn't come out yet ? First model year has more problems than later years....bugs arn't worked out yet, so i would argue the opposite for the first few years... How do you know the battery tech is "much better" ... its a 10mile difference between the MXP and MYP ... and the X weighs more... so which is more efficient... and faster... 3.5s Y vs 2.7s X

supercharging is "likely faster" again you have no idea. Basically you have no idea on any of the "facts" but could be !!!

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7

how do you know the cost of ownership for a car that hasn't come out yet ? First model year has more problems than later years....bugs arn't worked out yet, so i would argue the opposite for the first few years... How do you know the battery tech is "much better" ... its a 10mile difference between the MXP and MYP ... and the X weighs more... so which is more efficient... and faster... 3.5s Y vs 2.7s X

supercharging is "likely faster" again you have no idea. Basically you have no idea on any of the "facts" but could be !!!

Read the EPA label. Understand the differences between model 3/model Y tech and older S/X tech.

Model 3 is rated for 250kw charging, Model X is half that and less efficient Mpge, Model Y is same tech as Model 3. 0-60 is almost irrelevant, both are fast. No falcon wing doors which are more prone to breaking.

• Disagree
Reactions: wreighven

You don't know what you're talking about. The model Y will use the same battery chemistry and pack design as the Model 3 which can charge up to 250kW. Also, the MXP has a 100kWh battery while the MYP will have a ~73kWh battery pack - so the +10mile range is that much more impressive. This is all public information, so please take the time to educate yourself before spewing out words next time.

Reactions: VikH
Someone above mentioned that the charging speed of the X is half that of the Y. That is not true. Y is up to 250kW, and X is up to 200kW. Yes the Y can theoretically charge faster, but not twice as fast. Just want to set the record straight.

Someone above mentioned that the charging speed of the X is half that of the Y. That is not true. Y is up to 250kW, and X is up to 200kW. Yes the Y can theoretically charge faster, but not twice as fast. Just want to set the record straight.

The charging speed in terms of actual usable miles per time at the supercharger is based on the power AND the efficiency of the vehicle. We don't have to get math heavy here but basically it takes more kilowatts to go a given amount of miles on an X, hence the much worse MPGe and kwh per 100 miles (see my previous post with EPA label).

SO, the X as of today charges with fewer kilowatts (less energy flow) at v3 superchargers and needs more watts hours to travel per mile. Whether that ends up being half as fast as the Y in real world (miles of range per minute of charging) is hard to say, but you can't only compare advertised peak kilowatts between the two as it is misleading.

Also consider the supercharging caps that have shown up S/X vehicles as they age. There's a higher chance it will be an issue if he buys an X than a Y, especially if it's a used X that doesn't have 100kwh battery.

If money is no object, buy a brand new X. If cost and hassle of ownership is a bigger concern, buy a brand new Y. I'd skip a used X unless it's a Raven spec, especially a less than 100kwh X. You're rolling the dice too much on supercharging and MCU and autopilot computer (if you don't get a car with FSD or a brand new X). Any Tesla that has HW2 or HW2.5 will probably run worse over time in basic autopilot functions as the AP software evolves. The same thing happened with MCU1; version 9 and 10 don't run as well on MCU1.

Last edited:
If you can wait I would test drive the Y and look at the interior space vs the X. We love our X got the 6 seat which gives me lots of length down the middle for hauling stuff.

I think this is what we plan to do.
At most it might be a grandparent or friend/relative in the car with my wife and I, and possibly a 2nd. However, we found out, with any car, having a 2nd baby seat makes everything tighter.

I guess, from what I have read, the things that stick out to me are:

USED Model X-
FWD
Space for other riders
Better for road trips and weekends in mountains for ski/SBs

NEW Model Y-
Cost w/credits in CO
Comparable space but no other passengers
Slighly smaller, which may be easier for city lugging and parking, but quite efficient

Irrelevant to us, for the use of this car (city commuter)
Superchargin speeds
Range
HEPA filter
Towing capacity

Both will have 2.5HW and MCU2, but I think any direction is happy, we may just see how the market goes

OP is asking about a 2017 Model X. They are capped at 150kW. Only the Raven models can charge faster.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and wreighven
IMO the falcon doors are actually way less convenient than normal doors. You often need to wait 10-15 seconds for them to open, and they don't always open fully even when it's clear. They end up being a pain more than they end up being convenient in my experience.
I concur with this assessment most of the time. I've had a few occasions where the FWD has no obstruction, but fails to open all the way. One of my friends is sub 5' and didn't realize that the door hadn't opened all the way...Funny, but embarrassing thump of her head ensued.

I don't know which version and from where you are buying a used X, but many used X's sold by Tesla also come with free unlimited supercharging if that is a decision factor.

Regarding pricing effect of the Model Y, I highly doubt the sale of Y will lower the used price of X. There was and is no such effect with used S sales because of the 3. If anything, it will likely have more impact on prices of the 3 IMO since these two cars are aimed at the same target.

The 2nd row seats of the Y is likely going to be similar size to the 3. Based on this, I can tell you with conviction that there will be no room for anyone else if you have a young kid in a car seat and a dog in the back, though the dog can go in the 3rd row with the Y if you go with that config. Then you get one more space in the 2nd row, but a tough squeeze to fit 3 across with a child seat taking up one space from experience.

And regarding the FWD, they make life for both kids and adults much easier to get in and out of. If you live in a place that snows or rains, the FWD will cover you while dealing with a kid in the back seat. It's like an automatic umbrella. Also convenient with the X are automatic doors. If you ever drove an X or a minivan, you will understand how much easier it is to open/close the doors on the screen or with the remote.

The X is just more spacious overall. But, not obnoxiously big like the Cyber Truck.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nozomi
Both will have 2.5HW and MCU2, but I think any direction is happy, we may just see how the market goes
If you are looking at 2017, they would all be MCU1. Ones built before August 2017 would have AP2. Those built August 2017 - December 2017 would be AP2.5.

OP is asking about a 2017 Model X. They are capped at 150kW. Only the Raven models can charge faster.

Thanks DoctorVenkman. Sorry I missed that context.

Recently, there have been some posts by non-Raven owners where they showed they have been able to hit 180 kW when Supercharging at v3 Superchargers.

If you are looking at 2017, they would all be MCU1. Ones built before August 2017 would have AP2. Those built August 2017 - December 2017 would be AP2.5.
Recently, there have been some posts by non-Raven owners where they showed they have been able to hit 180 kW when Supercharging at v3 Superchargers.

Yep - I have a MCU1/HW2.5 Dec 2017 MS, we would ideally find a MX w/ MCU2 from Mar 2018 on.
In addition, at the Williams, CA SC - I hit 183kw speed in my MS.

That is empirically false — I got 180kW on my 2017 ModelX. There’s no cap. Cooling on the old 18650-based battery packs isn't as good, which leads to their charge rate peaking out around 180kW here. So while it’s true that the ModelY will charge faster, the difference isn’t as much as a 150kW cap would indicate. Raven ModelS and ModelX have the exact same battery packs as my 2017, and should have the same charging rates.

E066412C-4311-4FB6-AE1C-FE63B581E0B0.jpeg

edit: ninja’d — concur with the above 180kW posts

Unless you have mobility issues or really struggle with child seats in your current car, I would not value the falcon doors worth much at all. The amount of times I've had them not open more than halfway, or had to worry about them hitting something (ceiling, passing traffic, etc.), far outweighs the marginal value from having more space when they're open. Granted I live in a big city where things are tighter and I often park in garages or on the street. If you're in a rural area with tons of space your experience might be different.

There is definitely an advantage to the Falcon Wing Doors when taking a younger child out of their car seat. OP has an infant so this is a clear advantage.

Regarding FWD clearance, if you normally park where your doors do not have clearance, then yes they will not be as useful. However, a barn is not required for the necessary clearances. Also, you don't have to live in a rural area to have space for full opening. I can open my car doors just fine in certain garages and streets in big cities.

Raven ModelS and ModelX have the exact same battery packs as my 2017, and should have the same charging rates.

I wish. Ravens definitely have different packs than us 2017 100 owners. On the last earnings call, Elon stated 18650 chem was updated recently.

3 northern European boys (so tall lads), age 13, 15 and 18, fit on the second row of my 5-seater X very comfortably. Plus when picking them up from school, the X is by far the coolest car anyway (them boys opinions do matter).

When driving around with my sisters young kids and toddlers in child-seats, the FWD's are the best invention ever. It's so easy messing about with those seats and all the stuff they have. Fantastic.

When driving around with my elderly parents, it's so easy for them to slide in and out of the second row seats.

Take the X X X X X X X X X

FWD Clearance is not much of an issue. This is my Holiday house's garage. I park the car close to the right wall (left in the photo) so I can get out on the side of that fence in the photo. The FWD cleverly moves up and then folds out, allowing it to open almost fully. It's up high enough that nobody bumps their head. As the second row bench is flat and has a flat floor, folks can simply slide over to the side with the open FWD.

IMG_3643.png