Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed 2022.8.3 yesterday. Right rear restraint notification/error cleared yesterday and then came back this AM. Now cleared again. I suspect we are not done.
When the alarm pops up, I believe it says "Service required." Do that when the alarm is on, and the alarm details will be included in the ticket you open from your phone. It is unlikely to fix itself.

Depressing

But not surprising. There's a not insignificant minority of X/S refreshes that go nuts when supercharging constantly rebooting. They've been telling refresh owners for a year now that it's a software issue and that then next software update will fix the issue. Then every time the software is updated, the issue persists. Since it's only happening to a few but those few constantly, at some point Tesla is going to have to bite the bullet and start replacing hardware.

When the alarm pops up, I believe it says "Service required." Do that when the alarm is on, and the alarm details will be included in the ticket you open from your phone. It is unlikely to fix itself.
Opened ticket with 2022.8.2 and was told firmware update would resolve. My previous post on pg 23 shows the service center response. Now have opened a new ticket with them as they "resolved" the previous ticket. My situation is now worse that it was with 2022.8.2 as the seats are now always non functional and the right FWD has bizarre behavior.

Opened ticket with 2022.8.2 and was told firmware update would resolve. My previous post on pg 23 shows the service center response. Now have opened a new ticket with them as they "resolved" the previous ticket. My situation is now worse that it was with 2022.8.2 as the seats are now always non functional and the right FWD has bizarre behavior.
I opened a ticket because my new X-Plaid has 2021.43 software and frequently reboots for no particular reason but tends to do so more often when first getting in the car. Other times it does so while driving down the road. Sadly, I’ve been told that SC can not “push” me a newer version while I wait until mobile service appt. on April 7. Also informed that new software versions will appear after I’ve had the car for a few weeks. Tesla magic perhaps? I wish someone would waive their wand so I can stop being annoyed! Come on Tesla software engineers, get these bugs worked out! Reading the issues posts seems like they fix one thing and create another.

I opened a ticket because my new X-Plaid has 2021.43 software and frequently reboots for no particular reason but tends to do so more often when first getting in the car. Other times it does so while driving down the road. Sadly, I’ve been told that SC can not “push” me a newer version while I wait until mobile service appt. on April 7. Also informed that new software versions will appear after I’ve had the car for a few weeks. Tesla magic perhaps? I wish someone would waive their wand so I can stop being annoyed! Come on Tesla software engineers, get these bugs worked out! Reading the issues posts seems like they fix one thing and create another.
They mcu reboot issue is a hardware issue.

Try removing DashCam drive and reboot.

I haven’t had it come back but I imagine it will
Seriously agree — software engineering has ironically become the weakest point of the Tesla experience despite the fact they consider themselves more of a software co than a hardware co.

Picked up my Model X LR March 26. Drove it last week to & from work (200 miles all week) no issues. Charged at home. Our MS Raven charges at 44mph on our Gen 2 wall charger. The MX charges at 33-36mph on the same charger. Seems odd.

Saturday morning we drove from So Cal to las Vegas. Charged at Baker supercharger. When we left there, there was a brake warning light and beeping about brakes. Pulled into a parking lot and did scroll wheel reset. That did not solve anything. Drove to Las Vegas. Could not use TACC or autopilot. kept getting brake error. Nav could not show maps or traffic, back-up camera was frozen image, then a updated frozen image.. Drove to Vegas service center. They were no help. I did the scroll wheel reset (desperation) and everything was fine....until I used reverse again at my final destination. Same problems reoccurred. Reset made them go away.
This morning charged in Vegas and had to reset to make brake warnings go away. Drove to Baker. At breakfast backed into parking place and frozen back-up camera images. Reset again after breakfast. It took a little longer to come back to life. Drove to and charged while in Baker, and again reset. Again it took a while to come to life. Car worked fine all the way home. 160 miles.
In a couple minutes I'm going to work (less than 10 miles round trip. still have over 80 mile charge) We'll see what happens.

Anyone have any inkling of what's up. I do have service appointment set up. Software is 2021.43.202 755 miles on the car now.

Thanks for "listening"

Drove across town to my office. No problems, back-up camera worked fine out of my driveway & into a parking space.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkokes
Is supercharging making anybody's car go crazy? Near the end or after every supercharging session, it starts throwing error messages and ultimately reboots itself. Even after the reboot, it will have persistent issues like frozen navigation & backup camera not working (side cams fine). A few more soft reboots or time passing takes care of it. Sometimes it takes a day to get back to normal. One time it hilariously starting honking randomly during the supercharge and telling me to pull over immediately... I could only stop it by unplugging. Service doesn't seem to know what to do. This car was delivered in February and has the latest software... however this issue existed on original 2021.X software as well. MCU issue??
I just read this. I posted today the same basic issues after charging.

I just read this. I posted today the same basic issues after charging.
I just picked up my MX-P about the same time as you with the same outdated software. I have not supercharged yet to know if I’d have the same issues as you. However, back up camera will stay on even though I’m driving down the road, seat belt chime dinging despite being buckled and frequent MCU rebooting without cause. While it could be an MCU issue, I‘m not convinced until a newer software release is updated. Keep in mind, there has been about 12 software update versions since 2021.43.202 so this is old problematic crap. I did just unplug the USB stick in the glovebox to see if that was an issue (based on other posts I’ve read) and I changed from the wheel size to 22”’s then back to 20”’s to force a reboot. You should try that as well. Time will tell whether it’s software (my guess) or hardware. Get a SC appointment and have them download latest latest software (2022.8.3) if they will. I’m waiting for mine. 2022.8.2 has its own problems.

Wtf. I have a 1500 mile road trip in 10 days and seeing all these bricked MXs has me really nervous. Did any of you who got bricked notice anything before this happened? I saw that someone’s X started freaking out while supercharging. I normally charge at home and was thinking of doing a quick charge at a SC to make sure mine doesn’t freak out.
I’ve had mine since 1/31 and all has been fine except for the occasional random reset of the screens but other than that I’ve had no other issues at all. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Hope you guys get figured out sooner than later.
I have a noise in the dashboard on the driver side. It is more of a squeak, like if you were rubbing two pieces of Styrofoam together. It is most noticeable on bumpy roads. I had the SC attempt to fix. They said they put some sound deadening materials between the speaker grill and the windshield. It’s still squeaks when it’s cold, but it is nearly silent when it is warmer out. I would be careful though, because I think I remember reading that someone also tried to get a dashboard rattle fixed, and they caused some damage to the lining on the A pillars removing the speaker grill.
I have the same exact squeak in my dashboard. I’m nervous to get it fixed because of the risk of damaging it. But in a nearly silent car, it drives me nuts!

By the way, has anyone noticed that this “active noise canceling” is basically worthless at this point?

I received another update after 2922.8.2 that I was hoping would solve the rear seat restraint issue. It does not. Sorry. It’s 2022.8.3.

I do love the car, but it definitely has its quirks!