Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X sales versus other large luxury SUV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got one of the first Acura MDX's back in early 2001. At the time I think the market was defined by Lincoln, Lexus, MB etc. It took quite a few years for Acura to actually make a dent in the market. Now just about everywhere you go you see tons of MDX's. It will take even longer for Tesla to make a mark on this segment IMHO.

Here is the latest sales data for the US market EVs from the Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard
I expect that the Model X will take the top spot once the current production issues are resolved.

upload_2016-6-5_17-14-47.png

According to Tesla, the X is not a luxury vehicle, so I don't know why you wrote "other" luxury SUVs.

It is s premium vehicle.
Isn't it closer to a CUV than an SUV?

After reading a half dozen web articles on the difference provided by Google, I'm still not sure how to answer the question - both words are somewhat fuzzy in their definition, with a lot of overlap.

The X does meet two of the basic qualifications of a CUV - it is built from a car platform, and is a unibody construction.

However, it also has just as much ground clearance as my 1989 Suburban did (more with the Air Suspension raised,) and almost certainly more off road ability with Tesla traction control.

The other two I can see, but Cayenne doesn't have a third row option (even though performance-wise it might be a popular comparison).

The standard Range Rover doesn't have 3rd row either. The smaller Range Rover Sport does.

Range Rovers reasoning is "so as not to dilute it's luxury image or branding".

So I think the Cayenne should very much be included.

The standard Range Rover doesn't have 3rd row either. The smaller Range Rover Sport does.

Range Rovers reasoning is "so as not to dilute it's luxury image or branding".

So I think the Cayenne should very much be included.
The Range Rover example is kind of unusual in the sizing, but for the Cayenne vs others it doesn't seem to apply. The Q7, which is essentially the larger corporate cousin of the Cayenne, has 10 cubic feet (72) more cargo volume than the Cayenne (63). Model X is 77.

The third row test for sizing usually works well generally.

The title of this post is "Model X sales versus other large luxury SUV's". This implies that the Model X is a large luxury SUV which it is not. Where it is a luxury SUV it is much smaller than most of the other SUV's listed. If you park your car next to a Lincoln Navigator or Cadillac Escalade you will see there is a big difference. Therefore I am not sure that individuals looking to buy a large SUV would be considering a Tesla. I think it is in a category of its own.

The title of this post is "Model X sales versus other large luxury SUV's". This implies that the Model X is a large luxury SUV which it is not. Where it is a luxury SUV it is much smaller than most of the other SUV's listed. If you park your car next to a Lincoln Navigator or Cadillac Escalade you will see there is a big difference. Therefore I am not sure that individuals looking to buy a large SUV would be considering a Tesla. I think it is in a category of its own.

It's almost exactly the size of an X5 or Q7, though.

All I know is that global annual X sales will drift to the 50-70k mark and concentrated in the US. I'm guessing by 2018. Once this happens and these sales are peeled off the traditional automaker sales, just like S, the X will be a top performer in the segment (maybe not #1, though).

This one will really hurt the traditional automakers as they rely on strong SUV sales more than just about anything else. Then, just wait until the Model Y blows out the X3 segment.

This is correct.

In terms of overall exterior dimensions, Model X is most like a mid-size CUV like an Acura MDX. Mid-sizers in this category generally have 3 rows of seating, with the 3rd row being a bit tight and decent but modest cargo room behind the 3rd row.

August numbers are in for our large SUV competition. Despite slowing overall sales, the large SUV segment is holding up pretty well. Apparently the inhaled fumes of cheap $2.00/gallon gas is clearing the heads of the 1% who are out in force buying up Land Cruisers to haul Tommy down the street to his soccer practice, and Tina to her ballet lessons (or vice versa).

Not sure where the Model X is going to end up WRT the other Wooly Mammoths by the end of the year. All depends on the production ramp, as always. Hopefully the cafeteria in Fremont is serving up unlimited octuple Espresso's and piping in pure O2 to help lift the spirits of the assembly line workers. Maybe even a bit of 3-phase goodness for the robots too...

Six of these guys are currently outselling the Model X. The Range Rover and QX80 seem likely to be passed shortly, Escalade and Benz GL are not to far in the distance after that...

August numbers are in for our large SUV competition. Despite slowing overall sales, the large SUV segment is holding up pretty well. Apparently the inhaled fumes of cheap $2.00/gallon gas is clearing the heads of the 1% who are out in force buying up Land Cruisers to haul Tommy down the street to his soccer practice, and Tina to her ballet lessons (or vice versa).

Not sure where the Model X is going to end up WRT the other Wooly Mammoths by the end of the year. All depends on the production ramp, as always. Hopefully the cafeteria in Fremont is serving up unlimited octuple Espresso's and piping in pure O2 to help lift the spirits of the assembly line workers. Maybe even a bit of 3-phase goodness for the robots too... Six of these guys are currently outselling the Model X. The Range Rover and QX80 seem likely to be passed shortly, Escalade and Benz GL are not to far in the distance after that...

I suspect the Model X sales will continue to ramp up as we approach YE16 and over take the Ford Fusion for the number #3 sales spot. :cool:

upload_2016-9-2_18-24-34.png