Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the mandatory rear view cameras (by 2018?) in all cars, is telling that NHTSA thinks camears, and video is robust and proven technology. It makes it easier to argue for their replacement of other technology.

That being said, I tend to look at other people's mirrors to tell if they are paying attention quite often (especially when cycling). I am not sure I am really behind this change. I could be convinced, but right now I would say 'stick with mirrors, just get rid of that crappy "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" crap.'

I had forgotten that I do precisely the same thing when riding. Though it's mostly with parked cars to see if someone is going to swing open their door in my path.

Does anyone have experience with how long it would take to get an exception or other alternative through the NHTSA? Would they be able to get a ruling in time to have cameras on the X, or is this for a future vehicle? Perhaps they have been working behind the scenes to get this approved? If they already have informal agreement from the regulators, and this is the final public step for the X, I could see it, but otherwise, this feels too late for the initial production run of the X.

If Tesla is confident NHTSA will rule in its favor, I can see them pre-wiring the initial run of X's for cameras. Then, when they get the final OK from NHTSA, including them in production from that point on and offer a simple retrofit for existing X's; a la the titanium shield.

If the Model X has cameras instead of actual mirrors I guess I'll cancel my reservation. I find this such a scary (and unattractive) idea...

Why is is scary? The cameras can be so much better with no blind spots. They can also adjust for night viewing much better.

As for as unattractive, do you really find the mirrors sticking out on the side of cars as attractive? They almost alway ruin the lines IMHO.

Scary? Malfunction. Glare. Lack of depth perception. I appreciate the backup camera for things really close but it gives me far less of a three dimensional perception of what's behind the car compared to my mirrors.
And looks? The little stubs sticking out at the doors are hideous.

If the Model X has cameras instead of actual mirrors I guess I'll cancel my reservation. I find this such a scary (and unattractive) idea...

Sorry to hear that.

On the other hand; we'll be one slot closer :wink:. J.K. Hopefully they'd see fit to make it an option. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Seriously, just as with the rest of this car (that does not yet exist); one must go in with an open mind and then evaluate the final product. To my way of thinking, the cameras could be a great advance, but we'll just have to see.

Scary? Malfunction. Glare. Lack of depth perception. I appreciate the backup camera for things really close but it gives me far less of a three dimensional perception of what's behind the car compared to my mirrors.
And looks? The little stubs sticking out at the doors are hideous.
I think you're actually on to something about the depth perception.
Lacking depth perception in the side view mirrors would not be good.
I dont mind cameras as such and I'm not afraid ox malfunction etc. But lack of depth perception hadn't co.e to mind earlier...

IMO you should first try the cameras in place of actual mirrors. Maybe that you will be more comfortable with the cameras? Then according to this article:

Tesla Motors leads campaign to replace sideview mirrors with cameras | Digital Trends

the NHTSA announced that rearview cameras would be mandatory on all new cars beginning in 2018.

I'm a fan of the idea. Depends on execution, of course, but so far TM has put some pretty extensive thought into things. I don't think they'd put it on if it wasn't significantly better than a mirror. I can sympathize with the fear that they will fail, but so do mirrors! How many busted off side views have we all seen dangling? Better aerodynamics is the low-hanging fruit of improved efficiency.

Don't the mirrors say 'objects on mirrors may appear closer than they are'? Cameras can eliminate blind spots which is more important to me than depth perception. Add in better range too and I think better looks.

I want cameras. There are pros and cons, but (imo) the pro list wins. Safer. Better aerodynamics. And I suspect it will take me all of a nanosecond to adjust.

The problem, of course, will be my level of annoyance in my Roadster, NOT having cameras. I'll just have to drive faster than everyone else. :)

I am for cameras as well. As mentioned, there are many possible benefits:
  • Night Vision
  • Reduced blinding effect of headlights
  • Viewing angle including fewer blind spots
  • No need to adjust them
  • More/better options in placing the screens
  • And of course drag

I am just worried that Tesla is doing this solely for the last item. There are still no reversing lines on the rear camera in the Model S. As far as I know, there is no video processing done of any kind. This would take away most of the benefits. I know we all think Tesla will come through and I hope they do, especially since they have some time until they get to mine :smile:

I think you're actually on to something about the depth perception.
Lacking depth perception in the side view mirrors would not be good.
I dont mind cameras as such and I'm not afraid ox malfunction etc. But lack of depth perception hadn't co.e to mind earlier...

Stereoscopic Depth perception depends on binocular vision; the distance between your eyes gives different views. As you'd suspect, the effect diminishes with distance, as the angle formed between the eyes and the distant object approaches zero. Iirc, depth perception is good to about 2 arm lengths, and by about 20 feet is basically extinguished.

The field of view in a sideview mirror which is seem by by both eyes at the same time, is pretty small. And for practical purposes the objects of interest are generally beyond the distance at which stereoscopic depth perception is beneficial.