Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to guess (hope) this is a representative view of the interior as a few things don't quite make sense:
1) They kept the crappy, universally despised set-up for the front cup holders
2) No second row cup holders
3) The dash looks like an exact copy of the MS dash--the cars are different sizes, so its to like they can reuse parts, so assuming this is a photoshop hack
4) From what I can tell, the 2nd row does not seem to match Elon's hype, but that would not be the first time--I kinda like the pedestal thing and I wonder if there is more to it than just aesthetics.

Some thoughts:

Tesla only wants to gather option selections at this point. Which means that the other parts of the pictures that don't have options on them (e.g. center console) could be revealed to be different later. I don't think they are obliged to reveal every aspect of the car yet, and some of these photos may be photoshopped to disguise things - like extra features that will be included in Signature cars at no cost, but they don't want to reveal yet.

* My theory - the rear spoiler deploys when you put the car into Drive or Reverse. This is why they call it an "automatically retracting spoiler" and not an "automatically deploying spoiler." (Rather like the auto high-beam, which are in fact auto-dipping headlights.) In this way, you're never without a center brake light when you need it... but it is obscured when the spoiler is retracted. IMO this is not as elegant as it could have been. Why didn't they just put the center brake light at the top of the hatch, like the Model S ? You know, product family similarity an' all?
* No grab handles visible yet... I'm concerned what they think passengers will hold onto in this SUV when the vehicle is being flung around with Ludicrous aplomb.
* No obvious hooks/place to hang your dry-cleaning, though the available photos are admittedly scant
* Middle row seats have built-in seatbelts, a la Mercedes, very nice.
* Middle row seats slide forward and turn downwards, IMO, like Gtoffo's graphic. They're at a 30-degree tilt or so when fully pushed forward. In addition to allowing easier ingress to the 3rd row, this will allow for some of the "Magic Seat" vertical storage height that the Honda Fit has, for example.
* Nice that they are allowing you to see your external paint colour choice at the same time as the interior seat colour choice. If I recall correctly, the Model S Design Studio does not allow for this. (nice job web guys)
* Ventilated and cooled seats - I would love these in the front of my Model S :) Not sure they can hook up the cooling though - but ventilation, and the new shape which I now dub "3rd Gen Seats" - look very comfortable. These may be the retrofittable front seats I purchase, if they become available.
* no cup holders for the middle row seats? Doesn't make sense. I looked in the opened falcon wing doors photo... saw nothing there.
* I think there will be a different, "basic" middle row seat option. These are the "Captain's" chairs if you will. Perhaps the basic seats will fold differently.
* You can't choose cloth for the Signature seats? Not everyone wants animal skin.
* I saw the overhead pic with two-colour seats... nice. Will make for lots of variety.

Post.png

More observations.

Item A in the picture is part of the support structure. It will not move when the seats adjust forward.

What is item B? Is that the hinge for the seats? Is that a permanent item? I could see that if the seats fold straight forward, but most other presentations would result in that piece sticking up into the lay-flat space.

Interesting: Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors redirects to the Model S design studio. It used to go back to Model X home page.

Who wants to bet the files are available for the full model, somewhere hidden under that directory? Including a front picture :)

Well, after some digging, I found out that the Model S keeps it's stuff under something like http://my.teslamotors.com/sites/default/...

I wrote some code to check every possible URL, but I'm not sure if it's legal, but if you want to run it (or someone can tell me it's legal), I'll happily give you the code.

Man, Elon made a really big deal about these seats two or three times. If they don't do magic, and this is a good preview, I'm a bit disappointed.
Expecting magic is in my book a setup for disappointment :)
Given the one image we saw think the second seat will pivot forward and headrests may fold/pivot too to create a flat surface; but I'm not dwelling on the alternatives too much, it's not too actionable. I'm just now looking forward to the trickle of surprises popcorn in hand, so to speak.
(Where's AnxietyRanger when we need him.. to do the real-time analysis of the implications of every pixel!)

Played on photoshop a bit. If you look closely there are little lanes to let the seats rotate forward.

Also the floor might indicate that the seats can slide forward and backwards for adjustment.

This configuration would make it simple to get into the third row and would waste very little space for loading when the 3rd row is folded.

View attachment 92655

It definitely would appear that the second row seats slide forward and "submarine" themselves under the front seats... The back of the front seats appear to be an exact match for the contours of the second-row seats in that configuration.

That would make it easy to get in and out of the rear seats, and would allow you a ton of storage space without the hassle of removing the seats. A really smart idea from my perspective.

More observations.

Item A in the picture is part of the support structure. It will not move when the seats adjust forward.

What is item B? Is that the hinge for the seats? Is that a permanent item? I could see that if the seats fold straight forward, but most other presentations would result in that piece sticking up into the lay-flat space.

Not sure what you mean on Item A. That's part of the seat and will move with it.

Item B is the seat belt buckles

It definitely would appear that the second row seats slide forward and "submarine" themselves under the front seats... The back of the front seats appear to be an exact match for the contours of the second-row seats in that configuration.

That would make it easy to get in and out of the rear seats, and would allow you a ton of storage space without the hassle of removing the seats. A really smart idea from my perspective.

I agree... sure seems to be what it looks like.

Not sure what you mean on Item A. That's part of the seat and will move with it.

Item B is the seat belt buckles

A: It's not part of the seat. Look closely at the chrome trim. It's a single piece from that unit all the way into the vertical support. There's no seam. I think the seat sits on top of that thing.

B: I'm talking about the material behind the buckles, which the seats appear to be hinged around.

The cutout in the carpet does not seem that long, it seems long enough to move the 2nd row seat right up against the 1st row, but no further.