Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I read somewhere that Elon was trying to get that (soon to be antiquated) law changed to accept side view cameras.

Trying to and actually getting US DOT to change the requirement are two different things. While it is only a matter of time, time is running out for the Model X as they get close to finalizing the design.
My guess is they will release the Model X with regular mirrors but will have the camera option available as an immediate upgrade once US DOT approves the change.

Okay, I'll revise my estimate from 'two weeks after to taking delivery' to 'just one post giving MikeL a nudge'. Geez, you're easy!

Yes indeed, when I bring the strict ideology, it shows up holding hands with the hypocrisy. I should have said "NO 'Other Peoples' Food or Drink"!! :wink: There will be Coffee. I can at least hold on to "No Drive Thru Window Fast Food in Smelly Bags in my Model X"

and a question (trying hard to stay on topic) Was the push back of the Model X release by nearly a year based on planning/engineering decisions like how long to get side view cameras approved, to develop AWD, Falconwing Doors, etc. etc. OR
Was it more like "man, we are super busy, better push the X back, like, say I don't know, a year?"

I don't mean that to sound flippant, and I'm sure they've been working like crazy on the Model X. Let's just say I REALLY want it to be awesome, not produced until it's ready for prime time, version 2 of "the best car ever", but it's not lost on anyone here that there still isn't a firm date, unless you count "late 2014". Just wondering what you guys think about their "process". Looking forward to upcoming announcements, soon. Waiting goes from almost fun to almost unbearable. Somebody talk me down. :rolleyes: ML

and a question (trying hard to stay on topic) Was the push back of the Model X release by nearly a year based on planning/engineering decisions like how long to get side view cameras approved, to develop AWD, Falconwing Doors, etc. etc. OR
Was it more like "man, we are super busy, better push the X back, like, say I don't know, a year?"

I think it was more a matter of picking priorities, priorities I would have chosen also ... Get the Model S right, get the Model S delivered, take care of Model S customers, get the Model S infrastructure in place, and then worry about the X.

Keep in mind that getting each of those items done helps to build a more stable base for the X, which will make it a more phenomenal vehicle from Day 1. I don't think they have been working like crazy on Model X, well, maybe not until recently (at best). It's been all hands on deck for Model S, as it should be. And that will ensure a successful Model X launch.

Whew! Thanks Bonnie!
I think it was SteveZzzz told me kind of the same thing in July. "Tesla does what they have to do, when they have to do it" is the abridged version.
Its been such an action packed year, makes it hard to get thru a lull.

Franz von Holzhausen was called by a German magazine a few weeks ago about BMW's i3, I have just found a write up of the conversation and included the following comment about the Model X

The Model X is almost ready, now it comes to the last aerodynamic subtleties. Therefore, millimeter by millimeter to change without anyone noticing that we have ever changed anything.

I'm hoping for
weather and altitude sensitive nav/predictive range
side view cameras, no mirrors
Negligible vampire draw
New X-only colors
Cool hitch/rack arrangement
Higher energy density battery - more power and/or less weight
Oh, and a decent spot to put a front license plate :wink: Probably won't get that one.

Those are just what I could think of off hand, point is tech tech tech! :biggrin: No Food or Drink!! ML

My buddy and I are two Model S owners in Colorado, and both are balloon pilots. He uses a Toyota Land Cruiser and I use a Toyota FJ as our two vehicles for our balloon trailers. We both know that it is a huge aerodynamic and range hit to tow a trailer, and understand the issues. Still a typical balloon flight morning is drive 5 miles to the launch site. The chase crew stops for coffee after we launch, they then follow us and perhaps knock on some doors to get land owner permission for us to land (5-15 miles), drive to a place to have more coffee and breakfast with crew and passengers (5-10 miles), drive back home (5 miles). That is a typical mission of 20-40 miles. A Model X rated to tow a 1,500 lb trailer would be sooooo.... cool for this!

I also own a cute little "Windrider" trimaran. Total weight on the trailer is less than 800 lb and its about 25 miles to the local res. I have some AGMs and a 24 Volt, macho trolling motor on the trimaran for getting in and out of the launch ramp. Towing this sailboat to the res, using electric power to get past the break water, and then have a wind powered day would be the ultimate.

Please Tesla put a 2" receiver hitch option on the Model X with a greater than 1,500 lb trailer limit. It is a Utility Vehicle. :wink:

My buddy and I are two Model S owners in Colorado, and both are balloon pilots. He uses a Toyota Land Cruiser and I use a Toyota FJ as our two vehicles for our balloon trailers. We both know that it is a huge aerodynamic and range hit to tow a trailer, and understand the issues. Still a typical balloon flight morning is drive 5 miles to the launch site. The chase crew stops for coffee after we launch, they then follow us and perhaps knock on some doors to get land owner permission for us to land (5-15 miles), drive to a place to have more coffee and breakfast with crew and passengers (5-10 miles), drive back home (5 miles). That is a typical mission of 20-40 miles. A Model X rated to tow a 1,500 lb trailer would be sooooo.... cool for this!

I also own a cute little "Windrider" trimaran. Total weight on the trailer is less than 800 lb and its about 25 miles to the local res. I have some AGMs and a 24 Volt, macho trolling motor on the trimaran for getting in and out of the launch ramp. Towing this sailboat to the res, using electric power to get past the break water, and then have a wind powered day would be the ultimate.

Please Tesla put a 2" receiver hitch option on the Model X with a greater than 1,500 lb trailer limit. It is a Utility Vehicle. :wink:

Trailer 002 sm.jpg

It's always been my understanding that the X will have towing capabilities. That's been stated from the beginnning. Model X will have excellent towing capability. Despite photo, Model S will not offer option

According to the same spokesperson, "Model X will have towing capability exceeding most SUVs in its class. With all-wheel drive, incredible torque and sophisticated traction control, it will be an excellent towing machine."

I hope that is still true. The article is 1.5 years old; that is ancient history in the Tesla world. :biggrin:

Nice...I would love to see more details on how you installed the hitch.

I'm sure that you read the warranty and noticed that Tesla claims that pulling a trailer voids the warranty. I'm not a lawyer nor an expert in this area, but I think that they have to prove that towing a trailer was the cause of a problem to enforce that.

I talked a to a Tesla corporate employee and I mentioned the aftermarket towhitch that was shown at Tesliive. His eyes got big and wide as he exclaimed that someone with an S tried to haul a boat and ripped out the bottom of their car. I don't know of it was a homebrew hitch or not. I said I used a hitch on my old Honda Prelude for a clean way of carrying bikes and he said that was OK.

As for the X, I would still like to see the consumer version next to an industry hauling van. Stripped down for full utility. I was told Tesla has every intention of outfitting fleets.