Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X trade in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Occasionally I am thinking about upgrading my 2016 90D Model X to a new 100D.

When I requested an estimate for the trade in value six months ago I was quite surprised that Tesla is only willing to offer 66K for the car. Bluebook even today has the car at 76K and that is before I add options which should add at least a few thousand dollars.

Is Bluebook completely off in its value or is Tesla really giving really bad values for Tesla trade-ins?

Tesla always offers low amounts usually $10k under book. I've heard of people using Vroom and Carmax to sell their cars for more money or selling on here. DCGOO is correct about the sales tax reduction. When you're dealing with expensive cars that gets to be significant. You'll lose about $6-7k in tax saving by selling it outright.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Occasionally I am thinking about upgrading my 2016 90D Model X to a new 100D.

When I requested an estimate for the trade in value six months ago I was quite surprised that Tesla is only willing to offer 66K for the car. Bluebook even today has the car at 76K and that is before I add options which should add at least a few thousand dollars.

Is Bluebook completely off in its value or is Tesla really giving really bad values for Tesla trade-ins?

Tesla in my experience has the worst trade in values. I've been able to successfully sell my car privately as well as directly to dealers for a higher price (~10% more)

We've gotten very reasonable trade-in amounts for our non-Teslas, especially when taking the sales tax savings into consideration; it's within 1% of the private sale KBB pricing, which isn't enough to make the hassle, time and listing expenses worth while.

Curious to why anyone would buy from private if it doesn't offer any warranty? (Or so I've heard)

The warranty, both factory and extended, will transfer to the new owner with a private sale. The new owner just has to contact Tesla to let them know about the sale and new owner details.

From Tesla's website:

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.

Can I transfer my Extended Service Agreement to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your vehicle. The agreement will transfer to the new owner when the vehicle ownership transfer is processed through Tesla. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information.

Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
The warranty, both factory and extended, will transfer to the new owner with a private sale. The new owner just has to contact Tesla to let them know about the sale and new owner details.

From Tesla's website:

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.

Can I transfer my Extended Service Agreement to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your vehicle. The agreement will transfer to the new owner when the vehicle ownership transfer is processed through Tesla. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information.

Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X
Beware of Tesla definition. If you want an ESA, ask the previous buyer buys it before transfer to you. Otherwise, you might run into my case - fighting with Tesla for the right to purchase it.

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
I had a 2017 MS that I paid $89k or somewhere close to that and they offered me $61k after 3 months and 1500 miles.
Not just Tesla doing this. I purchased an Infinity M35x used for about $22k. It kept tramlining and trying to kill me, so I had them align it, put new tires on it, etc. Sold it back to them with about 1600 more miles and 2 months later for $16k. :-(

G.

• Informative
Curious to why anyone would buy from private if it doesn't offer any warranty? (Or so I've heard)

actually buying from a private owner you can transfer warranties. buying from a non-tesla dealer (used car lot) does not allow you to buy an extended or transfer warranty.

also its generally safer to buy from the original/private owner than a car lot because the original owner likely took care of the car and probably knows more about it than some clueless sales guy at carmax or your mercedes used car salesman.

One of the issues with these cars is that the original owner usually can qualify for around $10,000 or so in tax incentives. Not available on the used market, that softens the blow.

Also, people often confuse wholesale pricing (trade in to a dealer) with retail pricing (selling to a motivated end user).This often accounts for some of these low ball posts.

KBB is not used for wholesale buyers. They usually use Manheim wholesale auction sale prices to deterimine their offering.

I believe Tesla will get several bids from wholesale buyers and base their offer on that.

Tesla isn't a charity nor can they afford to be one. Nor do they want to deal with reselling CPOs.
Tesla doesn't even want to own its own loaner fleet. They sell cars to Enterprise and then re-rent the cars they sold to Enterprise on behalf of the customer.

Since their costs is so high to manage this, they have to make tremendous margins on Tesla trade ins to make it worth the effort.

A third party ICE vehicle, Tesla never touches. It just goes to whoever - Tesla probably doesn't care if they make a penny off those transactions. It's just a value added service to help SELL TESLA'S.

IN THEORY - Tesla would make big margins on selling tow kits and Bio defense upgrades for the Model X. It's sold for more than what it cost to buy it initially. But Tesla won't do it, because the MC is way too high relatively to MR.

Because almost no amount of money is worth the hassle to them.

I guess Tesla could go

Model X - Biodefense Retrofit - $5,000

but the PR just wouldn't make it worth it. Better to put your energies into 10,000 Model 3's a week and have the delivered ones have less issues.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA