Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First real winter driving this weekend in the Model X. Mostly awesome, a couple things not so much.

Saturday we went to get a Christmas tree and drove up some Forest Service roads through about 10 inches of unplowed, fairly heavy, packy, snow, which can be wicked slippery. A huge, lifted 4x4 pickup, as well as an Xterra, and another Toyata pickup all got stuck, and my model X did great. Almost had to tow out the other guys, but before I could get the hitch mounted, they managed to dig out. :)

Then today we went snowboarding at Timberline and they had about a foot of new snow over night, and it was pretty much a blizzard most of the day. The Model X handles very well, great traction, great traction control, super solid and predictable. However, the technology/automation stuff did not like being parked in a 20F blizzard for 6 hours. Even with warming the car ahead of time, the doors were all either reluctant, or in the case of the FWD wouldn't open at all due to ice. Now that's no surprise, all cars get their doors iced in those conditions, however when there's no handles, and the car decides it's obstructed and won't open, there's nothing even to pull on! Luckily the driver door opened, and the rear hatch, and eventually got the other doors working too. Then the passenger door refused to latch. Had to do the center console reset - open the door all the way - then push closed thing, and it started working again thank god. Then of course, the sensors were all iced over and it complained constantly for an hour of heavy traffic until it warmed up as we descended and I could pull over and get the ice off. Every time we slowed down too much it would warn that auto park was unavailable, and telling me to stop due to an obstacle, etc. Annoying. I wonder what the folks in places where they're in snow and ice all winter do? Similar experiences?

Why in the world didn't Tesla make the sensors heated for winter conditions? Or at least have a way to disable the warnings?

Wow, that is the first I have heard of sensor issues in snow, that sounds like a real pain. I wonder why no one else has mentioned it?

What is the "center console reset"? Is that the center screen reset?

Wow, that is the first I have heard of sensor issues in snow, that sounds like a real pain. I wonder why no one else has mentioned it?
This is really the Model X's first winter. The early cars from last Winter were almost all California Signatures. It was March before they really started to produce cars and well into the late Spring before they were up to producing valid amounts.

Make a simple utility function like a door, very complicated with sensors and automation and such - you end up with all these issues.

On the 98% max charging I have seen that in my S also. So I use the Remote S app to set the 100% charge setting.

7°F (-12°C) .
First real winter driving this weekend in the Model X. Mostly awesome, a couple things not so much. Then of course, the sensors were all iced over and it complained constantly for an hour of heavy traffic until it warmed up Every time we slowed down too much it would warn that auto park was unavailable, and telling me to stop due to an obstacle, etc. Annoying. I wonder what the folks in places where they're in snow and ice all winter do? Similar experiences?
Why in the world didn't Tesla make the sensors heated for winter conditions? Or at least have a way to disable the warnings?

7°F (-12°C) here in EDMONTON CANADA, Drove in blizzard today. Auto park unavailable, Auto steer unavailable, Stop due to obstacle ahead were all encountered today. Also no one mentioned here was the check 'tire pressure sign' that keep's popping up whenever i park outside , goes away once parked in my garage overnight. Awesome drive though.

@EV-lutioin yes, hold down both thumb wheel buttons on steering wheel to reset center screen.

@aesculus true, however I would think it should be the same for Model s? Basically in any conditions where some ice builds up on the front of the car it appears to interfere with the radar and/or sonar sensors.

Ok, that is what I thought he was talking about. I have used it many times for other issues, but I was unaware it also reset malfunctioning doors.

Make a simple utility function like a door, very complicated with sensors and automation and such - you end up with all these issues.

On the 98% max charging I have seen that in my S also. So I use the Remote S app to set the 100% charge setting.

Good point about complication.... and I have had similar issues with "simple" systems like frozen doors, broken window handles, snapped door handles, frozen door latches, frozen locks, ice in the lock hole etc. Darn winter weather seems to be tough on all systems :D

Reactions: FarmerDave
Thanks for all of the feedback here. I'm headed up to Tahoe in a few weeks and will be taking the X. I've posted before what happened last time when I took the S through chain control. :oops:

I was surprised to hear that nobody had the typical complaints revolving around regen - that on slippery roads, having a car automatically start braking when you let off the accelerator is generally not very welcome. Perhaps that's because I'm thinking about the RWD cars, and with AWD, it's not as much of an issue anymore. I really had to be careful about feathering the pedal on my S the few times I've been in serious snow.

Good info. I am heading to Tahoe next weekend. First time in snow with model X. Then right after Tahoe heading to Whistler BC. I will see how the car holds up on the long trip with some sub freezing temperatures and the 100kWh battery pack.

@ohmman mo trouble with regen or slippage even in very slippery conditions.

Only weird/scary thing was right as I was leaving the parking lot the breaks didn't work with light pressure. When I released and then applied them firmly there was a crack/pop and then they started working fine. I am assuming a layer of ice between the pads or in the regen mechanism. But I've never had that happen on any other car before in similar conditions.

So, again, overall tha car *drives* great in harsh conditions, but some of its unique features lead to unique challenges.

@tesla please make it possible to turn on the defeosters from the app! :)

First real winter driving this weekend in the Model X. Mostly awesome, a couple things not so much.

Saturday we went to get a Christmas tree and drove up some Forest Service roads through about 10 inches of unplowed, fairly heavy, packy, snow, which can be wicked slippery. A huge, lifted 4x4 pickup, as well as an Xterra, and another Toyata pickup all got stuck, and my model X did great. Almost had to tow out the other guys, but before I could get the hitch mounted, they managed to dig out. :)

Then today we went snowboarding at Timberline and they had about a foot of new snow over night, and it was pretty much a blizzard most of the day. The Model X handles very well, great traction, great traction control, super solid and predictable. However, the technology/automation stuff did not like being parked in a 20F blizzard for 6 hours. Even with warming the car ahead of time, the doors were all either reluctant, or in the case of the FWD wouldn't open at all due to ice. Now that's no surprise, all cars get their doors iced in those conditions, however when there's no handles, and the car decides it's obstructed and won't open, there's nothing even to pull on! Luckily the driver door opened, and the rear hatch, and eventually got the other doors working too. Then the passenger door refused to latch. Had to do the center console reset - open the door all the way - then push closed thing, and it started working again thank god. Then of course, the sensors were all iced over and it complained constantly for an hour of heavy traffic until it warmed up as we descended and I could pull over and get the ice off. Every time we slowed down too much it would warn that auto park was unavailable, and telling me to stop due to an obstacle, etc. Annoying. I wonder what the folks in places where they're in snow and ice all winter do? Similar experiences?

Great report! Thanks NovemberXray!

This is great info as I almost nearly drove my X up to Crystal today. Bummed a ride with a buddy though. Will wait for my new tires (Nokian WRG3's) to arrive this week before I attempt it though. I scoped out the RV hookups at Crystal (there are 70 now!) to plug into during the day but part of me wants to do the round trip without plugging in. It's about 150 miles round trip (or so depending on the route) from my home in Bellevue so it should be fine. Really need to know! :p;)

I live 1 hour north of Montreal.
No problem with snow driving till now (10 cm yesterday)

1 caveat though. Yesterday, my Autopilot and cruise kept disengaging on the highway (reduced Radar capability) even though visibility was good and the lines on the ground were clear. When I arrived home, I noticed a small layer of snow plastered in the front of my Model X. I wonder if it was causing obstruction to the radar.
Anyone have the same problem?
And anyone with a solution. Is there such thing as a snow repellent on paint?

This thread seemed to indicate very good traction control with regen. Anyone else experience this?
Not enough data for me to go on but it sounds like much of the issues with regen and snow were based on 2WD cars. I did not move mine off of standard regen and never felt there was an issue during the 3 hours of mostly downhill driving I did do.

If you are still thinking about not getting winter tires, consider this
IMG_3378.JPG

Michelin Sport 3. Almost all regen available. Left a warm garage. <2” snow fell while I was at work and I drove up the unpaved driveway without any trouble so was not expecting any trouble. The next morning I went down the driveway which has a short steep downhill into a T. Moving as slowly as possible, the car lost all traction, could not stop and could barely turn, then just kept going sideways until it hit soft ground. Stopped inches from the tree (pic was taken after it was pulled back a bit). Very slick surface when the snow was compressed, even the tractor had trouble making purchase until we put some dirt down. No damage that I could find. Tire appointment was already scheduled for tomorrow.
Subaru with Continental Pro Contact had no trouble.