Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are still thinking about not getting winter tires, consider this
View attachment 204893

Michelin Sport 3. Almost all regen available. Left a warm garage. <2” snow fell while I was at work and I drove up the unpaved driveway without any trouble so was not expecting any trouble. The next morning I went down the driveway which has a short steep downhill into a T. Moving as slowly as possible, the car lost all traction, could not stop and could barely turn, then just kept going sideways until it hit soft ground. Stopped inches from the tree (pic was taken after it was pulled back a bit). Very slick surface when the snow was compressed, even the tractor had trouble making purchase until we put some dirt down. No damage that I could find. Tire appointment was already scheduled for tomorrow.
Subaru with Continental Pro Contact had no trouble.
YIKES! Glad to hear there's no damage! Sorry to hear that proper tires are only a day away. I'm in the same boat. Expecting mine in the next couple of days. Highs are topping out in the mid 30's here today and tomorrow with more snow in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon. It won't stay long though as that precip also means it will get warmer. That transition can be sketchy though.

Great example of why AS tires should really be called "No Season" tires. :rolleyes::p

• Funny
Reactions: Ambidexter
Can any of you winter X owners let me know if you had any issues with slush dropping from the bottom third of the FWD when opening them?

That is one issue that my wife brings up as problematic up here in Montreal (we have a lot of dirty slush on our roads due to the salt / abrasive mixture spread on our roads). She envisions the stuff falling on passengers going in / out, or hitting the ground and splashing into the now-open passenger compartment.

The snow-covered roof FWD opening GIF posted on Engadget was encouraging, but I cannot counter her argument without real-world experience.

What are the all-season tires provided from the factory?

The 20" "All-Seasons" are Continental Conti-Silents. The last I heard they were coming standard on the X90 and the P90's were coming with the Michelin "summer" tires. Mine came with Michelins and I swapped them for Conti's because of the excessive road noise with the Michelins.

• Helpful
Reactions: deque
If you bought snow tires did you buy a set of rims for them also? Or do you just re-mount/balance the tires on the same rims?
@deque, you may want to search TMC. There have been a handful of lengthy threads discussing this.
It seems to come down to personal preference. Some owners are getting just the tires with plans to change them out twice a year. Others are getting the full 19" or 20" winter tire/wheel set from the Tesla store (and some doing this from third party vendors).
Folks that have 22" wheels opt for the second option as they find it difficult or expensive to get 22" snow tires.
If you get rims and tires, note the advantage of going with 19" vs 20": the 19s are a symmetric set and the rims are identical on all 4 wheels.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and deque
If you bought snow tires did you buy a set of rims for them also? Or do you just re-mount/balance the tires on the same rims?

What are the all-season tires provided from the factory?
I'm going with a full set of extra 20" wheels and tires. I've done my own shopping as I wanted to stick with black wheels similar to the Onyx 22's I got from Tesla. I also found a set up that will, ultimately, be less expensive than the packages Tesla or TSportline offer. I found both my wheels and tires at Discount Tire. They are TSW Interlagos wheels with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires.

The tires that came on my 90D are the Pirelli Scorpion Assimetrico.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and deque
My XP90D came with 20" Continental Cross Contact. Damaged a rim so scrapped plans to get 19" winter wheel set and instead got a new set of 20" rims with the Michelin Sport 3 (henceforth known as the summer tire ) off of another X. Today will put Tesla's winter Pirelli Scorpions on the repaired rim set.

My apologies if this has already been discussed. I tried to do a search and didn't come up with anything.

We're planning to take our X on its maiden voyage to the snow this weekend, and I was just wondering how well people thought the X handled in the snow? How is the traction (we have the 20" wheels)? How is the handling? I read that some Model S cars had a problem with snow buildup in the wheel wells and caused some suspension issues, does the X have the same problem? How are the windshield wipers with snow and ice (i'm almost afraid to ask after seeing how they do in the rain ;))? Any other comments?

Check out some of Bjorn Nyland's videos at Tesla Bjorn. He has several where he is shown not only driving his car but also pulling trailers in the snow. He has put studded tires on but to hear his enthusiasm about how it handles tells me you should be OK. And he is in Norway.

Reactions: Scmbug
Regarding tires, I am a huge fan of Nokian for winter tires. I have the WRg3 on 20" rims for my winter setup and I have done a lot of driving in heavy snow, through unplowed roads up to about 8" deep, ice, etc. they are solid and the car handles great.

My frustration with the doors is getting worse though. The car is pretty much useless if left in cold weather for long. If I don't preheat it for at least the full 30 minutes, sometimes longer, the front windows are freezing in the full up position which is a nightmare. The doors will generally open, but then you can close them from the inside because the window is up and hits the trim. From the outside I can flex the window a little and tuck it in enough to close the door, but. I amount of tapping, jiggling, or pushing down on the window is able to get it loose. I just have to wait for it to warm up. The full defroster seems best (double tap until it turns red), but that turns off if you get out and close the door! So really not great for skiing where the car is sitting in a parking lot at 15F getting coated in snow and ice.

The FWDs are not much better because the joints all freeze up, the sensors are covered and so the doors won't open at all from the outside, and from the inside pressing and holding to override they only open a couple inches and then give up. I had to manually actuate the door to the full open position and then it started working again. And this is after brushing off all the snow and scraping off the ice.

Anyone else having these issues?

Ugh. No, I haven't yet taken mine up into the mountains (WRG3's should be ready today). Now I'm not looking forward to it as I'm horrible about remembering to preheat! That and if I'm not plugged in, I'm not going to want to tap the battery that much so I can make it home.