Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X's Insatiable Appetite for Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 4/32 I'd start shopping, but I wouldn't run out to swap them urgently. Still some time to find a good deal.
I've found a great deal but not 100% sold on the brand - Nexen. I've read a post or two from X owners who have them and like them. My Contis are the "quiet" ones and they're pretty noisy, imo. At the price I can get a set of Nexens for, I could almost buy 3 sets of the Conti tires. Maybe they're worth a try?

I've found a great deal but not 100% sold on the brand - Nexen. I've read a post or two from X owners who have them and like them. My Contis are the "quiet" ones and they're pretty noisy, imo. At the price I can get a set of Nexens for, I could almost buy 3 sets of the Conti tires. Maybe they're worth a try?

I've worn a lot of tires and I can say that every single brand has at least one good tire and at least one horrendous one. It's just that with some brands, it's easy to consistently find a decent tire and avoid ending up with a bad one.

I haven't used a Nexen on a MX, so I can't speak to them specifically. But I have used them on other cars and it's not a brand that I'm generally enthusiastic about. But again in fairness, I can make the same statement about General tires but yet I've worn a wonderful set of all seasons by General on my minivan and another on my Camry. It's just hard to tell until you put rubber to road and even then the same tire in different sizes on a different vehicle can react differently. So take all of this with a grain of salt....

My top tier brands are Bridgestone, Michelin, and Continental. I actually find continental to be the worst of the three in terms of pure performance, but I find it to be the best for me in terms of value to performance and usually the one I recommend when we're talking about a general all season. If we're talking a performance tire - summer or snow, Continental rarely comes up as a suggestion from me.

In the next tier, it depends on the purpose. Falken if its warm, dry and wet. Hankook has come a long way as well. Nokian if it's snow and only if it's snow. These recommendations come when there's multiple sets and they're generally for purpose and the value for the purpose is the primary factor.

Again, all generalities. Tirerack is a good resource if you want to look up tests, as is this site: Tyres by Brand - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews They've got Nexen in the 2nd tier along with Falken, General, Nitto, Toyo. All recognizable brands with multiple good tires. Good luck!

@Yinn said it right. Each brand has good models and bad.

I had a set of Nexens on a GMC Acadia 8 or 9 years ago, and they were fantastic. Orders of magnitude better than the Goodyear Forteras that came from the factory.

So it’s all about the model itself IMO. Wish I had something to offer you on the Nexens for Model X; I don’t, other than to say I was very pleased with them on the Acadia.

Reactions: KentuckyX
The specific tire is Nexen N’Fera RU5, which has gotten some pretty good ratings everywhere I’ve researched. I believe the 2 big knocks were snow performance (don’t get much here) and quick wear. They’re rated for 65,000 miles, so even if they only last for half that, they’ll be about equal to the Contis that are on the X now.