Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my brand new model YLR is equipped with comfort suspension, I’ve yet to find it. I took possession of my new Austin built Tesla October 26 after having driven a Tesla Model S for 4 1/2 years. While the Model S ride wasn’t great, I’m sad to say this model Y has the most jarring suspension of almost any vehicle I’ve ever owned. I’ve been a Tesla fan boy ever since I’ve got my model S, and I’m also a longtime stockholder. But at this point, I’m thinking about cutting my losses and checking out EVs made by Ford and Hyundai. There is a lot to like about this model Y, but the suspension isn’t one of them. It’s worth noting, I live in suburban Chicago where the freeze/thaw cycle creates some miserable roads.

I had an insider look up my Austin MYLR part list and don’t have the upgraded suspension. Don’t believe every article you read on the interwebs. I think only 4680 Ys got the new suspension and Fremont Ys after a certain date.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
So sell it for what you paid for it.

Acceptable or not, the Model 3/Y do not have the type of suspension that is available in European cars at these prices. That's just the way it is and Tesla still has no real competition in this area.

Mach-E is supposed to have pretty good suspension so you could go drive that for a comparison.

Depreciation is so bad on Y these days you lose $10K to $15K driving it off the lot.

As for the Mach-E suspension…. it is different not better.

Reactions: tm1v2
Here are part numbers for my MYLR 2023 PF589XXX built Oct. 29 that according to Tesla SA has the "Comfort Suspension":
DAMPER ASSY FR LH,COIL E3 DM - 1188363-00-H
RR DAMPER ASSY - COIL DM - 1188463-00-E
The part numbers are from actual pictures I took from my car. The epc.tesla.com catalog currently shows F and D as last revisions for front/rear dampers. So it looks to me that H and E are the revisions for the new "Comfort" suspension. Hope that helps. Different suspension name will better characterize the car ride:(

Last edited:
I had an insider look up my Austin MYLR part list and don’t have the upgraded suspension. Don’t believe every article you read on the interwebs. I think only 4680 Ys got the new suspension and Fremont Ys after a certain date.
Austin is not shipping 4680s other than to a handful of Tesla employees and a few people who were offered to switch their reservation. Those cars also have less range than the 2170 cars.

Austin is shipping 2170 like Fremont, just with different frame castings.

Depreciation is so bad on Y these days you lose $10K to $15K driving it off the lot.

A used car being worth a bit less than a brand new one is NORMAL. We've been used to bizarro-world where you could buy Model Y's and sell them for $10k over list. That era is over, and was never rational.

Actual used prices for model y's are very close to list price. You do not get to count your license fees, registration or taxes as a "loss in value" - that's just the price of flipping. The car itself is worth the transaction price.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Here are part numbers for my MYLR 2023 PF589XXX built Oct. 29 that according to Tesla SA has the "Comfort Suspension":
DAMPER ASSY FR LH,COIL E3 DM - 1188363-00-H
RR DAMPER ASSY - COIL DM - 1188463-00-E
The part numbers are from actual pictures I took from my car. The epc.tesla.com catalog currently shows F and D as last revisions for front/rear dampers. So it looks to me that H and E are the revisions for the new "Comfort" suspension. Hope that helps. Different suspension name will better characterize the car ride:(
It sounds like cars are still getting built with both new and old parts which is really annoying to people who believe they are getting the updated suspension, take delivery after Elon's tweet, and then still get the old suspension components.

It would have made more sense if they just switched over the suspension with MY 2023 production so people know what they are getting. People can dig on legacy automakers but some of the stuff they do just makes more sense.

A used car being worth a bit less than a brand new one is NORMAL. We've been used to bizarro-world where you could buy Model Y's and sell them for $10k over list. That era is over, and was never rational.

Actual used prices for model y's are very close to list price. You do not get to count your license fees, registration or taxes as a "loss in value" - that's just the price of flipping. The car itself is worth the transaction price.
If the car is brand new and in excellent condition he should be able to get close for what he paid for it before tax/license since new orders are still months out and the prices have gone up substantially since the beginning of the year.

If I really hated the way a car rode and handled and I was only going to be out $5K or something I would just dump it and get something I liked.

If electric is a requirement though the options are severely limited, basically it's the E-Tron, the VW id4, the MACHE and a couple of other cars that compete with the Y.

It sounds like cars are still getting built with both new and old parts which is really annoying to people who believe they are getting the updated suspension, take delivery after Elon's tweet, and then still get the old suspension components.

It would have made more sense if they just switched over the suspension with MY 2023 production so people know what they are getting. People can dig on legacy automakers but some of the stuff they do just makes more sense.

Annoying, but normal. Tesla rolls changes in whatever manner fits their manufacturing and parts-inventory needs. We've had matrix headlights come and go several times for different models and trims. It eventually settles down, and there will always be more changes so the best move is to simply buy when you're ready. Resale prices have fallen, but values of Tesla still hold up pretty darn good so if you need to swap for a "better" one next year that's not going to be horrifically expensive.

Annoying, but normal. Tesla rolls changes in whatever manner fits their manufacturing and parts-inventory needs. We've had matrix headlights come and go several times for different models and trims. It eventually settles down, and there will always be more changes so the best move is to simply buy when you're ready. Resale prices have fallen, but values of Tesla still hold up pretty darn good so if you need to swap for a "better" one next year that's not going to be horrifically expensive.
I don't know about other models, but the resale of Model 3 have gone off a cliff. Mine has dropped probably $7500 since June/July. This will only get worse as people start to choose between used cars and brand new ones that have $7500 tax credit.

As much I am disappointed by the ride/noise on my new Y, I would not ever consider E-Tron, the VW id4, the MACHE or any other electric now. Not even close. They are still many many years behind 3/Y in many aspects and the charging situation with non Tesla is a disaster with no chance of improvement. It could be my expectation to fix these LAST issues where unrealistic. Until there is a big distance between the Tesla cars and all others, Tesla will be mostly focused to simplify the cars and increase the production and not on fine points that bother only few people. It seems to me most people are fine with the unrefined ride and booming low frequency noise. It is a great car with few blemishes, thats all.

I don't know about other models, but the resale of Model 3 have gone off a cliff. Mine has dropped probably $7500 since June/July. This will only get worse as people start to choose between used cars and brand new ones that have $7500 tax credit.

Yes, I agree they've gone down. But they were running at absurd $10k-over-MSRP, so a drop of $7k to $10k means you can now sell a used Tesla for roughly what you paid for it, which is still very good. Normal used cars see really steep drive-off-the-lot depreciation.

The coming tax-credit thing may juggle values around some, but that'll settle.

Yes, I agree they've gone down. But they were running at absurd $10k-over-MSRP, so a drop of $7k to $10k means you can now sell a used Tesla for roughly what you paid for it, which is still very good. Normal used cars see really steep drive-off-the-lot depreciation.

The coming tax-credit thing may juggle values around some, but that'll settle.
I pad $57 for my M3 and it’s worth low 40s. Mine is low mileage and extremely good condition, many with higher mileage are going for high 30s now.

We seem to have two different chats about the new soft suspension.

I posted pictures of the part numbers in the other chat room. Here is a link:

Drove back to back my 2023 MYLR with the "new" comfort suspension and 2022 MYLR produced May 2022 with the "old" suspension. The two car felt essentially the same. There is no difference at least that I could tell. However both had booming low frequency thumping noise when traveling or rough road at 30-40 mph.
Can you post part numbers from the shocks of the car with the new suspension?

Maybe they were referring to the Mach E’s adjustable dampeners (Magneride) on the upper trim? I think it would be cool to see an option like that on the Perf trims.

We’re picking up a 2023 Y tomorrow so I’m curious to see how it feels. Changing the wheel size on my M3P made such a huge difference to comfort that I’m curious how big of a difference the dampeners could make for day to day driving. I’m not sure if I would want a softer suspension all the time, but interested in the comparisons. With Tesla updating the suspension continuously, I wonder if the upgrade is more incremental than anything else.

... With Tesla updating the suspension continuously, I wonder if the upgrade is more incremental than anything else.
They obviously made a big deal about this, naming it comfort suspension. In contrast to the other incremental changes. But I wonder as well. I am waiting to hear from those who have pre and post cars built this year, like my brother and sister-in-law. I have read both that it makes no difference and that it makes a difference under 30 mph.

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: randmness