Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y delivery yesterday - few thoughts relative to a 2017 MX P100DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most drivers (OP has a long back) can easily see through the steering wheel at the drivers display. Gives much more information to the driver and does not require them to take their eyes off the road over to center screen.

Not sure I agree with the taking your eyes of the road point people always bring up about looking to the right at the center screen. When I look down through my steering wheel at my binnacle I am also not looking at the road. I can't read the speedometer in the blurred edges of my peripheral vision while staring at the road, so I actually have to divert my gaze and focus on the binnacle to get the speed. All that happens in a seconds time, but the same can be said for quickly gazing to the right.

Two adults camping in the back shouldn't be an issue....at 6 feet I felt like I could be fully stretched out with a couple inches of foot room to spare. Climbing in through the hatch trunk was nice and easy.

Side note, I wrote a long response to another parent who was asking about a Model Y versus a used Model X around the same price point. I can paste that response here if anyone is weighing the two options.

Reactions: derkan
Would definitely not rely on STOP pulling into my garage, it's already a tight fit, but I do like it a lot for driving around down.

STOP ? are you guys referring to hold mode? The throttle is so sensitive you can roll the car forward an inch at a time. I think its much more precise even for tight spaces.

One of the cool things about driving the Tesla is navigating speed bumps, because I can bring the car to such a slow roll forward you never touch the brake. Were you to do that with a regular automatic or in creep, the idle can be too fast to just roll over a speed bump.

Reactions: Electric Steve
STOP ? are you guys referring to hold mode? The throttle is so sensitive you can roll the car forward an inch at a time. I think its much more precise even for tight spaces.

One of the cool things about driving the Tesla is navigating speed bumps, because I can bring the car to such a slow roll forward you never touch the brake. Were you to do that with a regular automatic or in creep, the idle can be too fast to just roll over a speed bump.

Apologies, yes, Hold mode is the correct term/setting in the menu. You're right, it's great in tight spots. Right now I'm backing up to an inch or less of a box in the garage and can consistently position the car there with one pedal. Another feature that is probably similar across all new models, but a very welcome change coming from the 2017 X.

STOP ? are you guys referring to hold mode?
Yes, the choices are CREEP, HOLD or ROLL. I'd like to add that CREEP mode will not roll over a 4x4 but I use a 2x4 as my bump-stop and carefully approach it in the garage with my foot over and actively controlling the brake pedal and not the throttle pedal. This way I avoid making a throttle mistake and regrettably sending the vehicle into the front wall.

• Informative
Reactions: ftmaybe
Two adults camping in the back shouldn't be an issue....at 6 feet I felt like I could be fully stretched out with a couple inches of foot room to spare. Climbing in through the hatch trunk was nice and easy.

Side note, I wrote a long response to another parent who was asking about a Model Y versus a used Model X around the same price point. I can paste that response here if anyone is weighing the two options.
I’d be interested in your thoughts on the Y vs used X. Thanks for posting all of this helpful information!

The 2x4 is a great tip! I'm going to use one as an extra guide rather than the cardboard box I've been relying on!

Here's my paste on the Used X vs Y comparison from the standpoint of a parent and constantly hauling stuff around...again keeping in mind that this is comparing to a Feb 2017 Model X:

Happy to weigh in on this. Yep two kids and also three dogs, so we're used to maxing out the storage of or MX.

If I had to choose just one, given our daily lives, it would have to be the MX just based on the overall extra volume of cargo capacity and also the ability to tow. We have a SylvanSport Go trailer that we tow behind the MX probably at least 50+ times a year. It's a furniture hauler, camper, canoe carrier, etc and gets a ton of use. So given that the Y can't tow and I wouldn't want a gas vehicle just for towing, it would have to be the MX. I may end up with roof racks on the Y, but am undecided and might not want to take the risk of trying to solo lift a canoe onto the roof for risk of scratching up the car.

For those times where we also have both kids and three dogs (29lbs, 42lbs, and 52lbs dogs), the X would probably be essential. One of our dogs is always in a crate which literally just barely fits in the back of the X....I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit in the Y but haven't tried yet. Capacity-wise, the Y really is super impressive. Something like 68 vs 87 cubic feet on the X.

Air suspension is nice on the X if the 2018 model you're looking at has it. Again, that gets used a ton here because we often find ourselves driving a bit off road or on uneven terrain or through deeper snow....where that Very High setting on the suspension is useful.

Range is always a consideration too....our MX P100D can do about 289mi on a good day and the Y is comfortably in that territory. But we've had a few cases where we've come close on that and around here the extra 40-50 miles of range over the 75D you're considering is definitely a bonus (particularly in the dead of winter).

I think a lot comes down to daily life and whether or not you have cases that really depend on those few extra features of the X. If you're only hauling a large volume of stuff once or twice a year, then the Y would likely be plenty and worse case scenario is that you rent a van for the occasional piece of furniture. If you're driving around 2-3 kids and additional adults, the X is a much more spacious people carrier. There's plenty of space in the back seat of the Y and obviously the 7 seat configuration isn't available yet.

A couple of other things from a parent's standpoint:

- I love the automatic front doors on the X (not sure if these are standard). Our lives are full of multitasking, and when I'm constantly loading kids in and out etc, I've gotten so used to little time savers like just stepping on the brake pedal to close my door as soon as I've jumped in the car. We're talking maybe a second or less of time saving, but it's funny how you get used to it. In the Y, I'm like "Oh right, I have to manually pull the door closed" when usually my hands are buckling my set belt, charging a phone, entering pin to drive, etc as my foot is hitting the brake to close the door. Had a few times where the kids haven't properly closed their doors, they're just not used to it. They're used to the falcon wing doors magically taking care of it

- the falcon wing doors are pretty useful sometimes....in a really tight parking space or with a low overhead ceiling, not so much because the worst thing is a falcon wing door that only wants to open about 30% of the way. But 95% of the time, they're great when loading kids in the car, helping with seatbelts etc. They're out of the way and also do a decent job of keeping rain off your head. And to this day, they're a real crowd pleaser! They're not maintenance free though, they do occasionally develop squeaks and creaks and the magic of the falcon wing door is IMMEDIATELY lost when it's making a long and loud creak as it moves.

- our MX has the individual seats on piers rather than a bench.....the space down the middle is great for the dogs, but doesn't give the kids much room to put their stuff. The front seats just have a black glossy plastic back, with no stowage on the back. So right now, the kids are loving the bench, storage, and center console in the back seat.

- The Performance Y sits pretty low, now sure how the Long Range compares to the X. Both of our kids are old enough now that they can manage their seatbelts. But we drove an S for several years when they were younger and moving to the X was an absolute game changer. The S was so low, and putting them in seats, trying to reach seat belts etc, was really difficult. They loved being in the X, particularly being up higher. In the Y, they're really loving the glass roof and visibility they have back there....I can see how that would really make car travel seem a bit less claustrophobic.

------------------------------------------

In this case, the person I was chatting with had a 4x4 for towing and hauling, so the Y seemed like the best choice over a used X. We've been a one vehicle family for the past 4 or 5 years, so the X has had to serve a lot of different uses and the versatility of huge cargo volume and towing capabilities have been indispensable.

I think the best argument for making the screen adjustable is to deal with glare.

I know there are various aftermarket screen protectors, but I've had nothing but bad experiences with these kinds of things for laptop-sized screens. Cellphones are different, of course.
That’s totally it! in combination to the angle and lower is nice too.The glare is not there but it sucks from the passenger side if there’s a bad sun angle. I have a matt AO screen protector but that is just for protection-no problems with it.

I think the best argument for making the screen adjustable is to deal with glare.

I know there are various aftermarket screen protectors, but I've had nothing but bad experiences with these kinds of things for laptop-sized screens. Cellphones are different, of course.
I use the screen protectors from Abstract Ocean. They come with a frame that fits over the screen during installation, so alignment is easy. Must important step is to clean the screen well, and use the stick pads to go over the whole screen to get every last bit of lint.

heh heh... as an M3 (only) owner, I recently drove an S loaner, and was like "Man, this instrument cluster is TOO CLUTTERED" :)

Interesting - as a Model 3 owner since September 2018, we just purchased a 2020 X a few weeks ago. I have to say that I expected to NOT like the X instrument cluster/portrait screen, but I was WAY wrong. Having the dual display is absolutely amazing.

They took things off of the MX tablet (in comparison to the 3), such as the speed and the view of your car, lanes, other traffic, etc... and put it on the center display, right above the steering wheel. With those items removed from the tablet, the tablet then becomes one MASSIVE, AMAZING glorious view of the map, where you can see everything around you crystal clear and at a detailed, zoomed in level due to the size. It is also easy to see the things they removed and added to the center screen. Because the tablet is primarily used for the map and other menu features, having it as a portrait view while looking at the GPS also greatly exceeded my expectations. I think it is really a fantastic combination of how they spread things across the dual displays - which in my opinion - greatly reduces clutter.

The dual display is absolutely one of my favorite aspects of the Model X, and it was something I came in thinking that I wouldn't like. My wife also agrees with this aspect after getting the X. This just goes to show different strokes for different folks as I really can't fathom how anybody could prefer the Model 3 single screen after trying out the Model X or Model S dual display.

I'm in this camp as well. True that the X/S might have a bit too much screen real estate going on...the main benefits for me are:

- giant map view, can still have the music interface partially expanded and there's still a great view of the map.
- the center display still feels more natural for a couple of reasons.....my eyes travel less distance and I guess might use less muscles just glancing down rather than down and over....maybe the focus distance is a bit further on the center screen too, so it just feels like a lot more "eye work" shifting my view over to the center screen on the Y
- I miss having the car visualization front and center to the steering wheel as well....there's just something that feels "right" about seeing your own vehicle centered and lined up with you. For some reason when I have to look over the the right to see "my" vehicle on the Y, I start to lose some spacial awareness in terms of what I'm seeing on the display and what I'm seeing around me
- the extra GPS screen is quite nice on the X...I find it very helpful in everyday use and the information design a bit cleaner than the overhead map

None of these are deal breakers and I'm sure I'm reacting to thousands of hours in the X versus a few days in the Y. I do wish there was a slight in between though. Obviously an extra screen costs more, and I know with the 3 and Y the general idea was that they eventually won't have a steering wheel at all and so all of the extra information on the dual X screens becomes irrelevant. But since we're not there yet, a 3/Y with some kind of dual screen would be compelling...I'd pay a bit extra for that.

I wear progressive (no line) bifocals. Looking down to the drivers display I only need to look down and it is in focus. No need to dip my head and look back up and out the windshield all is still in sharp focus.

To use my center display I cannot simply look out of the corner of my eye. It is not in focus. I need to turn my whole head to get the focus I need.

Really appreciate that drivers screen.

I wear progressive (no line) bifocals. Looking down to the drivers display I only need to look down and it is in focus. No need to dip my head and look back up and out the windshield all is still in sharp focus.

To use my center display I cannot simply look out of the corner of my eye. It is not in focus. I need to turn my whole head to get the focus I need.

Really appreciate that drivers screen.
FWIW, I wear progressives, too, but that's not my experience. Granted, I only spent 15 minutes in an M3, but I probably paid more attention to the screen than I normally would have. The monitor is pretty much at the same distance as my current car's speedometer: arm's length. This is also the distance that the bottom-middle portion of the glasses are configured for, so if my head is tilted slightly down so that I have distance vision in the windshield, the monitor is in focus just by moving my eyes, not my head.

YMMV.

Reactions: liuping
heh heh... as an M3 (only) owner, I recently drove an S loaner, and was like "Man, this instrument cluster is TOO CLUTTERED" :)

It's not the amount of readings, it's the need to move your head around that's annoying to me. I'm wondering if a tiny device capable of projection of basic trip readings through bluetooth onto a part of the windscreen in front of the driver would solve this issue.

It's not the amount of readings, it's the need to move your head around that's annoying to me. I'm wondering if a tiny device capable of projection of basic trip readings through bluetooth onto a part of the windscreen in front of the driver would solve this issue.
There are aftermarket solutions, but while they might fulfill my Top Gun fantasies, I'm not sure that any of them are actually good.

The Best Head Up Displays For Cars (Review) in 2020 | Car Bibles

Had a long range Model Y on order and heard that the local SC had a few Y's that had become available. The long range in Midnight Silver was claimed about an hour earlier, but there was a Performance model available in Midnight Silver so we said "Yes please!".

So this is a Model Y Performance with the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels. Been driving a 2017 Model X P100DL with AP2 and MCU1....so a few differences stood out right away and I figured I'd put them into a thread for anyone interested.

Driving:

- The size doesn't feel tremendously different from the X. Smaller obviously, but sometimes you get into a smaller or bigger vehicle than you're used to and the size difference is striking....definitely not the case here.

- Steering feeling is one immediately obvious difference. The Y has almost no dead zone to the steering, so it feels really quick and responsive. Even on the X with steering in Sport mode, there's a bit of sponginess. I like the actual tactile feeling of the steering wheel itself on the X, there's a bit more grip and I believe it's a bit bigger overall. But going back and forth to the X, the steering just feels slower and a touch lifeless in the X. The Y is incredibly fun to drive, in my opinion.

- The ride is certainly firmer on the Y. 21" wheels are certainly a factor. The X currently has winter tires on, but even on 21" tires it doesn't feel as firm as the Y. I'm guessing the air suspension is a factor here.

- The Model Y performance doesn't quite have the "pin you to your seat" acceleration off the line as the MX P100DL. Roads are a bit damp, but I don't think it's a traction control thing. Feels like the acceleration from a stop takes about a second to really start clipping. The P100DL in ludicrous mode really is ludicrous (even without launch mode), feels much more like a roller coaster launching. The Y is definitely easing you into it more. At about 20mph and above, they're feeling pretty similar in terms of "punch", it's really just from a standstill that it's noticeable. If the difference in 0-60 times is say 2.9s vs 3.5s, I'd say that 0.6s difference largely happens in about the first 0.6s of acceleration. None of this is unexpected of course, but I was a bit surprised at how different 2.9s vs 3.5s feels.

Interior:

- I'm really missing that additional screen that's in the X. I'm guessing the Model 3 style single screen interior takes some getting used to and since it's a similar interior, the issue has probably been talked to death. The screen looks great in the Y, but not quite as convenient or driver-friendly as the X.

- The overall finish and build quality seems really good. No strange air whistling on the highway, no door seals that look slightly mangled like I've seen on our X, a really quiet ride overall. The entire vehicle seems like a much tighter build than the 2017 X overall....not sure if this comes down to QC improvements, an easier to build design, or both of those....but they've done a really great job with it from what I've noticed so far.

- Felt like my lower back was getting a bit warmer in the Y seats for some reason. Seat heaters were off, so maybe it has to do with the material. Our X has a cloth interior, so perhaps that breathes a bit more.

- The storage is just awesome. The X has tons of storage as well, but the Y really doesn't feel like a big step down....add in the ability to install roof racks and the Y is really impressive here. I know I've moved a few things in the X that probably wouldn't fit in the Y, but there's still a lot of real estate in there.

- The front wireless phone chargers/pad are great. My Note 8 has a fairly thin rubber case, and that seems to be enough to prevent the Qi charging from engaging (even though it's fine on other desktop wireless chargers I've tried), but it was fine with the case off. The size, position, grip etc is great though....so long as phones don't get any bigger! The Note 8 just barely fits from top to bottom.

- Like the use of magnets on the mirrors and console lids. Feels premium, no cheap clicks and nothing mechanical that seems like it'll stop working over time.

- Homelink missing is a drag. Sounds like it can be added/installed and I'll probably do that at some point. So odd to be driving around in an insanely futuristic (and still expensive) vehicle and have an old garage door opener from the 90's sitting in the center compartment! I'm assuming there's some licensing/cost reason and this was just one of those things that had to go to hit a certain price.

- The single piece of glass over the cabin of the Y is really impressive....but there's an asterisk here.....it's really impressive if you're sitting in the back seats! From the driver's seat, your field of view pretty much ends at the top of the windshield, so you really see zero of that amazing glass in your peripheral vision. The windshield on the X is just striking from the front seat position, it feels like you're in a helicopter and it's hard to not be constantly impressed by how open it feels....but obviously that effect is lost in the back seats of the X to a large extent. So I'm torn on this one....the single piece of glass is really impressive...but the X windshield is also really impressive and the overall effect depends on where you're sitting. Since I'm usually driving, I'm kind of missing that X windshield but wouldn't take anything away from how impressive the "roof" glass is on the Y.

- The optical effect that happens on wet X glass is again, pretty striking. Doesn't exist on the Y. I've had so many people comment on the crazy orange colour that appears with droplets on the X glass, quite a few people have though that it was some kind of custom or after-market thing. Just doesn't exist on the Y. Taking delivery at the SC yesterday, it was hard not to notice an entire row of Model X's with their magical orange glass in the rain yesterday.

Exterior:

- I really dig the look of the Y. The carbon fiber spoiler looks great and the black trim (versus chrome) certainly looks more modern. I do love the adaptive spoiler on our X, I believe those stopped being available about a month after our build date. I don't know how much the adaptive spoiler on the X really effects performance, but it looks great and it's one of my favorite differentiating features on the P100D. The Y is a really nice design though, I really like the shape of the lower rear spoiler/lip/diffuser/whatever-its-called around the rear bumper.

- I wish I could tow! I use towing on the X fairly frequently. I've tried to read up on what the deal is with the Y, if it will ever be something that can be retrofitted (guessing not) or if it's only going to exist in European markets. Whatever the status of all of that, I'd love to be able to put a hitch on the back.

I can't directly compare to a 3 because I haven't driven one, and it's been quite a while since I've driven an S, but feel free to ask any relevant questions and I'll try to weigh in.
Do you mind posting an update? Do you still like it as much, I am considering a used X but also have a performance Y reservation from March 2019.