Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Display

Will you order an MY if Tesla allowed you to view it now?

• Yes, I'm on the fence so 'll order now if allowed to view it

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • No, I will not order even if allowed to view though I am on the fence

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Maybe Yes

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Maybe No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Will not order until after a year from production & delivery of MY's regardless of viewing

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Will never order an MY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't have the funds for any car purchases right now. If finances are better when the MY comes out we will probably wait a bit until the bugs are worked out before biting the bullet and getting one.

To me, this is a loaded question. First of all, you are not ordering a car. You are making a reservation, and yes there is a BIG difference. The only reason I do not make a reservation now is that there is no incentive to do so. I will almost positively get a Model Y when they come out, but there is nothing that makes a $2500 reservation worth it at this point. It does not lock in the price. It does not lock in options. It does not even hold a space in any line that they will follow in regards to deliveries. At least, that is what panned out for me with a two year wait for my Model 3.

So, yes I will order a Model Y at some point but there is no reason to make a reservation now. It won't get me my car any sooner and it won't guarantee a price. I'll just hang loose and enjoy my Model 3 until the Y comes out.

Dan

Reactions: KJD and Lobstahz
Tesla has had an "on-stage" preview of the Model Y in the recent past. Of course, no real interior close-up shots were provided. That said, there is no advantage to putting down money now for the vehicle when it does not lock in a price, options or waiting time for the vehicle.

Going with a slower car with less flexible cargo space? I've never had a sports car, but the electric drive is very addictive if you like a zippy car.

What are you talking about? The Corvette is much faster than a Model Y and will handle better too.

Even the 0-60 will be quicker at under 3 seconds.

It's a common misconception on these forums that Telas are somehow faster than all ICE. It's simply not true.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mattzilla and Mr X
What are you talking about? The Corvette is much faster than a Model Y and will handle better too.

It's a common misconception on these forums that Telas are somehow faster than all ICE. It's simply not true.

Corvette is a finite gas guzzling toxic pollution emitting dinosaur car. A Tesla will smoke it whenever it wants

It's about to be 2020 dude. We are off gas cars

Let me know when the all electric corvette comes out

Corvette is a finite gas guzzling toxic pollution emitting dinosaur car. A Tesla will smoke it whenever it wants

It's about to be 2020 dude. We are off gas cars

Let me know when the all electric corvette comes out

I don't even understand the point you are trying to make.

I'm not arguing about the ecological impacts of either. And we're not "off gas cars" as you say since EVs are under 5% of all new car sales.

The Corvette is faster and it handles better. The Model Y will not "smoke it" no matter how you slice the pie.

I was sort of joking. The 0-60 times of Corvettes have varied a lot over time and by different versions. A Model 3 Performance can beat some recent Corvettes 0-60, but not the top of the line ones:
Chevrolet 0-60 Times & Chevy Quarter Mile Times | Corvette, Camaro, Tahoe, & Cruze 0 to 60 stats!
Tesla 0-60 Times & Tesla Quarter Mile Times | Tesla Roadster, Model 3, Model S, Model X, Model U, Model Y & more Electric Car 0 to 60 stats!

A Model S P100DL+ can beat anything GM made 0-60 (stock).

Tesla's current cars are not designed to be sports cars and don't have the suspension. So any pure sports car is going to corner far better than anything designed to be a passenger car first. However, a Model Y is a far more practical car for hauling people and stuff. It's almost certainly going to be identical to the Model 3 under in all the running parts which will make it a very low maintenance car compared to any ICE. No oil to change, no transmission service, no belts, change the radiator fluid once a decade or so...

Any new car is going to have bugs compared to a car that's been in production a while. That's a given. The Model Y, being a derivative of a car that's been out a couple of years, will likely be more reliable the first year in production than the all new Corvette with untested tech. Any new car can be a lemon, but the new Corvette will probably have more teething problems than the Model Y in its first year. Though Tesla does seem to have a talent at screwing up launches.

To me, this is a loaded question. First of all, you are not ordering a car. You are making a reservation, and yes there is a BIG difference. The only reason I do not make a reservation now is that there is no incentive to do so. I will almost positively get a Model Y when they come out, but there is nothing that makes a $2500 reservation worth it at this point. It does not lock in the price. It does not lock in options. It does not even hold a space in any line that they will follow in regards to deliveries. At least, that is what panned out for me with a two year wait for my Model 3.

So, yes I will order a Model Y at some point but there is no reason to make a reservation now. It won't get me my car any sooner and it won't guarantee a price. I'll just hang loose and enjoy my Model 3 until the Y comes out.

Dan

Dan, I believe that the reservation does lock in the price and options for a Model Y equipped exactly as in the reservation. If any change is made, then the current pricing is used. This reservation seems different than the $1000 deposit we put down for the Model 3, as we could not do any configuration at that time.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Dan, I believe that the reservation does lock in the price and options for a Model Y equipped exactly as in the reservation. If any change is made, then the current pricing is used. This reservation seems different than the $1000 deposit we put down for the Model 3, as we could not do any configuration at that time.
That is not what I was told by Tesla. They specifically told me that a reservation DID NOT secure price of either the car, or the options. Nor did it guarantee availability of any of the current options. It truly is an interest free loan to Tesla. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Just don't expect it to guarantee anything.

Dan

I don't think Tesla will do it for the same reason that the Y rollout event was so downplayed.

They can't actually sell you a Y today, but they can sell a Model X or Model 3.

Some fraction of the folks that will buy one of those in the next six months would be convinced to wait for the Y if Tesla puts them on display and plays up how great they are.

Hopefully it's a fairly small number, but it's a potential loss to Tesla and there's no real gain to them to balance it.

That is not what I was told by Tesla. They specifically told me that a reservation DID NOT secure price of either the car, or the options. Nor did it guarantee availability of any of the current options. It truly is an interest free loan to Tesla. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Just don't expect it to guarantee anything.

Dan

It's $2.5K for an option

For the M3 reservation it guaranteed price after config despite the swings. You could cancel and reorder if price went down. ( speaking as a 35K M3 Black SR owner, now it's 36k+)

I personally do not think it makes any difference, I really want to find out about the ground clearance but it still would not make any difference for me. I am determined to get rid of all ICE cars in the family, love my S and would not mind to get the 3 or X for my wife but she wants a small SUV and cannot park the X so the Y is my only hope (please don't start the i-pace argument). The only potential advantage of pre-ordering the Y is to get ahead of the line, but that would only be relevant if you are in CA, since Tesla did not announce the number of pre-orders I suspect it is way below 50K so that would make the position in line a moot point. I placed my pre-order because 2,500.00 would not get much for me, I do not think I would get much in return in investment anywhere, I live on return on investment so it would be a big deal to me.