Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t say they owe anyone anything re: communications on stuff like one million batteries. They are a corporation not some sort of emoting entity.
What WOULD be wise as a corporation selling products to humans and not delivering them very quickly is to have a proper means of communicating to its customers. Even if that means a totally minimalist approach, not commenting on things like this 4680 fervor, and seldom releasing anything. But.. control that information better. DON’T release confusing stuff at all, and when you DO release information, at a time, place and on subjects of your choosing, make it clear and concise. Why put out “one million blah bah blah” incoherently? It makes no sense at all.
They absolutely do need better comms to folks on order about basic things like timing. 95 percent of the people on the forum would agree. They DO owe people with orders a bare minimum of information.
And if they want to not feed the bear that it the hype machine on Youtube, twitter etc? A professional communications staff could help counsel them on reducing their own hype numbers, spin, and wildly fanciful timelines, which feed that bear quite a lot.

I think Tesla is in a unique position as a direct to consumer manufacturer of cars and are directly under the microscope of social media.

Just for perspectives sake, my mother in law has had a RAV4 Prime deposit since October with promised January delivery. She has not had a single update and the car still has not arrived as of March. I've had a Porsche GT3 deposit at 3 dealerships for over 2 years now. Obviously I'm not a high roller otherwise I would've gotten priority on incoming cars or I could've paid an exorbitant markup but I haven't gotten any communication other than an email from a Florida dealer that agreed to MSRP stating they are rescinding that policy.

Reactions: SWIPE
I think Tesla is in a unique position as a direct to consumer manufacturer of cars and are directly under the microscope of social media.

Just for perspectives sake, my mother in law has had a RAV4 Prime deposit since October with promised January delivery. She has not had a single update and the car still has not arrived as of March. I've had a Porsche GT3 deposit at 3 dealerships for over 2 years now. Obviously I'm not a high roller otherwise I would've gotten priority on incoming cars or I could've paid an exorbitant markup but I haven't gotten any communication other than an email from a Florida dealer that agreed to MSRP stating they are rescinding that policy.
Thank you for reminding everyone that while Tesla has issues with their EDD system, at least try are giving something. Most other EV sales orders are also taking a long time, with little commutations. At least with Tesla, our price is locked in and we don’t have to worry about dealerships marking up above the MSRP.

On that note, I have never paid above MSRP on any vehicle, I always negotiate based on Invoice. How times have changed.

This will be my second vehicle that is a no haggle price. Bought a Saturn back in the day.

Yeah, the negative BS they got on social media and elsewhere, especially that driven by short-sellers, was nutty. Now I think a lot of it is less negative but there is an unprecedented amount of just bizarre hype.
I don’t think I was thinking about other carmakers as examples of good, bad, or indifferent communications. More like, what is the right approach period? There are great models of how to do that out there in other lines of business.
This is obviously one of the most innovative companies in history on the tech side. It could innovate in customer service as well.
Good luck on the GT3 ... by coincidence my best friend from high school took delivery of one about three months ago, He said he could make well over $100k flipping it, but wouldn’t dream of it. Apparently it is all its made out to be, Worth the wait.

Reactions: Daniel L
And in other news: Today’s count of black and blue MYLR parked on the Austin concrete apron or snugged up to the superchargers: 254.
There also is one white MY with black wheels at the supercharger. The mythical Denver MYP! Made special!
But... probably just one of the couple dozen employee Ys that have been floating around awhile now.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIPE
New here …interested in why everyone wants a 4680 battery pack?
I took delivery last weekend on a MYP because the 4680 are coming soon.
I’ve watched a few Tesla battery day videos and see that the 3 and Y cars are getting a major redesign.

I wanted my car to just work …can always upgrade after the months or a year of teething issues from a new redesign get worked out.
Maybe I’m too cautious?

I’ve watched a few Tesla battery day videos and see that the 3 and Y cars are getting a major redesign.

I wanted my car to just work …can always upgrade after the months or a year of teething issues from a new redesign get worked out.
Maybe I’m too cautious?
Naah, just smart.

Have you seen the size of the 4680 battery?
I would think the biggest problem with going to a larger battery would be heat …and freezing temperatures of the larger battery body.

That’s why the professionals at Tesla have work.
The 4680 uses a "tabless" design which by the very nature helps wick heat away from the cell better than the 2170s ever did.

Go watch the full 2019 Battery Day presentation, pay attention, and then come back and re-enter the discussion.

The single largest hurdle Tesla has had to overcome with the 4680 cells is the "Dry Battery Electrode". These have to be compress rolled out, and the dry chemical constituents are like sandy pebbles, but very VERY hard. They are so hard that they were denting the rollers (again, per Elon). That problem has since been solved, and the team is working exclusively on improving yields and the rate of production. Per leaked info, last month they were at 92% yields (that included one really "bad" line which was being used to train the technicians that will be working in Austin on these).

Car should either be lighter (quicker), or have more range, but seems unlikely we’d get both.
Seems likely it will have more range as a result of being lighter...although the extra range will be minimal....There are some of the opinion they will have the same battery capacity..and the range will increase because of it being lighter..and some of the opinion they will have lower battery capacity as a result of it being lighter to try to get the same range..It is doubtful they will risk getting a lower EPA rating so lighter and more range (even if 1 mile) is likely.

I think the chances of them filling up available space with extra capacity is incredibly low...at some point that might happen as a different model..but they're not going to suddenly add a bunch of capacity as a result of the 4680/structural...

Maybe I’m too cautious?
The potential to be a lighter, quicker, more structurally sound car are just a few reasons. Not to mention, the paint quality and finish out of Austin should be markedly better. As for potential issues, do Tesla's not come with a warranty now? Maybe I missed that announcement :)

Last edited:
Seems likely it will have more range as a result of being lighter...although the extra range will be minimal....There are some of the opinion they will have the same battery capacity..and the range will increase because of it being lighter..and some of the opinion they will have lower battery capacity as a result of it being lighter to try to get the same range..It is doubtful they will risk getting a lower EPA rating so lighter and more range (even if 1 mile) is likely.

I think the chances of them filling up available space with extra capacity is incredibly low...at some point that might happen as a different model..but they're not going to suddenly add a bunch of capacity as a result of the 4680/structural...
There will not necessarily be "extra space" with the 4680. It is a completely redesigned battery pack and structural element. The battery pack will be full, it is a structural component, it has to be full. What that full capacity is remains to be seen.

You’ve been waiting over 2 years for a GT3? That’s crazy!
I was considering selling my NA1 NSX to possibly upgrade to a GT3 this market is crazy to buy even used.

There will not necessarily be "extra space" with the 4680. It is a completely redesigned battery pack and structural element. The battery pack will be full, it is a structural component, it has to be full. What that full capacity is remains to be seen.

Actually, for the same kwh in the car, there is "extra space". The 4680s are more energy dense than the 2170s (see battery day slides), furthermore they wick heat out from their top and bottom, instead of requiring all the cooling "channels/blades" that the 2170s have between cells. With those channels not needing to be run between the cells, the cells can be packed in tighter. Again, as pointed out previously - IF you want a "structural" pack but don't want to load if full of cells, you just fill the rest with the "filler" material that goes between the cells. This filler basically hardens into a super-strong ceramic that is easily as strong as the cells themselves.