Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will say that in that drone screen grab seeing the 4680 machinery installed hammered it home to me, at least, that they are very very sure of the technology for making the 4680, regardless of the long drawn out issues last year getting the defect rates down. You don’t spend the kind of money they did on those machines and go to the trouble of installing them if you’re not sure they will do what you need. So they have to be super close on 4680 battery manufacturing also.

Joe was really clever to drive up early today and get predawn footage where you can see so vividly inside.

Last edited:
BIG NEWS - I stopped by my local Tesla sales/service/delivery center today and learned they have received the info (including VIN) for a MY demo/display vehicle that's coming from the Austin gigafactory. They expect to receive info for the first customer MYs coming from Austin soon (but that doesn't appear to be based in any specific info form Tesla higher ups).
did they say whether yours specifically was likely to be an Austin build?

Last edited:

Likely preproduction... But good news
yeah, this guy Armen at TorqueNews is just hyperbole personified. What a clickbait fisherman.
I see every Tegtmeyer post and video, including today's, and there's absolutely NO evidence of anything beyond a buildup.
There are no cars running around inside as some have suggested, and the pics Armen highlights mostly aren't current, don't show what he describes.

Saw

Saw these pictures this morning after Joe tweeted them. Still no indication of production vehicles being released. Those 3 white MYs are a great sign though. I am waiting for Joe’s YouTube to be released. Should be in abo3 hrs, based on his prior videos
Yesterday Joe was waxing on about a bunch of MY's in the employee parking lot at the charging posts.
Mixed in with a bunch of M3's and other MS, MX.
Clearly just employee cars, but the hyperbole is getting even a usually levelheaded Joe worked up.
It's been a long road getting the factory built and the tension must be cutting like a knife.

It's close, it will be welcome, but it will be accompanied by a Media frenzy and just blow up the order books.

There’s no real reason for Tesla to bother with that.
There's also no real reason for a SA to give that information out to a customer (we have a demo model from Austin coming). So if they are giving out that information, then giving out a single digit from the VIN should be no issue. Like most other information from SAs, I don't believe it until it actually happens or can be proven in person.

Saw

Saw these pictures this morning after Joe tweeted them. Still no indication of production vehicles being released. Those 3 white MYs are a great sign though. I am waiting for Joe’s YouTube to be released. Should be in abo3 hrs, based on his prior videos
If you enlarge Joe's pic and look to the far right and toward the rear there are what appears to be around 6 more MYs sitting there. All black or grey.

Gigatexas.jpg

Reactions: GOVA and Mrbrock
Seems to be reflection from the glass...imho
No, look for the 4 black cars, 3 to the left of the employee (1 facing away behind a red box, 1 facing it and 1 to the left of the pillar, you can see the right headlight) and 1 to the right (behind the yellow gantry). Not the white cars in the reflection. The clearly have indoor lights reflecting off the paint and windows.

Reactions: Firocity
BIG NEWS - I stopped by my local Tesla sales/service/delivery center today and learned they have received the info (including VIN) for a MY demo/display vehicle that's coming from the Austin gigafactory. They expect to receive info for the first customer MYs coming from Austin soon (but that doesn't appear to be based in any specific info form Tesla higher ups).
You are getting a yet to be built demo? How did you pull that off?

There's also no real reason for a SA to give that information out to a customer (we have a demo model from Austin coming). So if they are giving out that information, then giving out a single digit from the VIN should be no issue. Like most other information from SAs, I don't believe it until it actually happens or can be proven in person.
No no, I mean there’s no real reason for Tesla to try to sneak production cars out under cover of darkness. They don’t care if the drones pick them up. Certainly if they’re telling local SA’s they’re about to get an Austin demo they’re hardly running a Secret Squirrel Black Op here.

Reactions: tangible1
You are getting a yet to be built demo? How did you pull that off?
I'm not getting it, the local Tesla sales center is getting it as a demo vehicle. I suspect all of the Tesla US sales centers will be getting a new generation MY demo vehicle so that their customers will be seeing a MY that better matches what they can expect if they order a new MY this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: samori01
I guess I live in a different world. Looking at the site and the videos / snapshots I see something very different.

Unless there are other lines or areas that are much further along - what I see is engineering proof testing and some equipment QA. I see a lot of incomplete process areas around some key components.

In short based on what is visible in those pictures I would say they are a month away from meaningful production. They will have increasing validations and walk throughs. There will be some full runs of test units. But that site is no where near a week away from producing hundreds (much less dozens) of cars a day.

Again, maybe there are full lines not visible which are a couple weeks ahead of what we can see but to me this video proves that Joe and others are being far too optimistic.