Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think they will be producing Model Ys out of Austin with 380 mile range and out of Fremont with 330 mile range? I don't see that happening unless they create a new LR+ tier and charge more. Its more likely they will use however many 4680 cells are needed to get the same 330 mile range. The only potential noticeable difference between an Austin Y and a Fremont Y would be slightly better handling due to weighing less. All my opinion obviously. Why give away extra batteries when they are in such tight supply?
Interesting point. I've heard 1-2 month ago that Austin will start producing MYP first. Maybe that is the reason? Otherwise, you are right, they would be selling 2 versions of the same MY version. This would bring cancellations and disappoint those who receive "lesser" version. However, considering todays market Tesla may not care.

Last edited:
Interesting point. I've heard 1-2 month ago that Austin will start producing MYP first. Maybe that is the reason? Otherwise, you are right, they would be selling 2 versions of the same MY version. This would bring cancellations and disappoint those who receive "lesser" version. However, considering todays market Tesla may not care.

They're also very unlikely to ship models from both Austin and Fremont that differ substantially to the same country. Can you imagine the uproar that would happen if someone in CA received a MYP with more range and lower weight than someone in NY did just because of the origin of the vehicle?

If Austin comes online with 4680's and a structural pack, Fremont will also switch to the same setup almost immediately unless there are absolutely no customer known differences between the vehicles (which we already know there will be some).

Imagine Apple producing iPhones in China and India, and one comes with a larager battery than the other. People would be lining up outside the stores checking manufacturer origins to get the "better" device. These slight differences can occur as long as they're not within the same market, but it's never going to happen otherwise.

They're also very unlikely to ship models from both Austin and Fremont that differ substantially to the same country. Can you imagine the uproar that would happen if someone in CA received a MYP with more range and lower weight than someone in NY did just because of the origin of the vehicle?

If Austin comes online with 4680's and a structural pack, Fremont will also switch to the same setup almost immediately unless there are absolutely no customer known differences between the vehicles (which we already know there will be some).

Imagine Apple producing iPhones in China and India, and one comes with a larager battery than the other. People would be lining up outside the stores checking manufacturer origins to get the "better" device. These slight differences can occur as long as they're not within the same market, but it's never going to happen otherwise.
A lot of us 7-seaters having been waiting forever (e.g. July and I'm early Aug) and recently a lot of us had our EDD start bunching/lining up... and instead of the usual hit the EDD window then push another month out, they've been slipping a few days at a time. Mine just changed again by a couple days and shortened to Jan 17 - Jan 31. One theory I saw recently is maybe Austin starts with 7-seaters, which is an even lower production level than MYPs and could lessen the 'uproar' caused from two different MYLR lines (Austin v. Fremont). It makes a lot of sense to me... it would require/allow the lowest production and ramp rate for Austin to spit out some cars (maybe even with the limited 4680 structural pack) soften the differences between lines, etc. Something is definitely different in terms of the 7-seaters, and I doubt it's that Fremont decided to finally produce more than a couple a month.

Totally agree with this. The changeover will be overnight or pretty darn close. It would be different if Tesla did what normal car companies do and change things with the model year but since they don't this will happen.

A lot of us 7-seaters having been waiting forever (e.g. July and I'm early Aug) and recently a lot of us had our EDD start bunching/lining up... and instead of the usual hit the EDD window then push another month out, they've been slipping a few days at a time. Mine just changed again by a couple days and shortened to Jan 17 - Jan 31. One theory I saw recently is maybe Austin starts with 7-seaters, which is an even lower production level than MYPs and could lessen the 'uproar' caused from two different MYLR lines (Austin v. Fremont). It makes a lot of sense to me... it would require/allow the lowest production and ramp rate for Austin to spit out some cars (maybe even with the limited 4680 structural pack) soften the differences between lines, etc. Something is definitely different in terms of the 7-seaters, and I doubt it's that Fremont decided to finally produce more than a couple a month.
Ha, I sort of proposed that theory. It would also make sense because the 4680 batteries could account for the range hit the 7 seater takes for the extra weight and get the range in line with the 5 seat model.

Reactions: afscotch
Totally agree with this. The changeover will be overnight or pretty darn close. It would be different if Tesla did what normal car companies do and change things with the model year but since they don't this will happen.

Tesla has, on average, about 14-21 days of inventory on hand. Less for the Model Y than all other vehicles. This is incredibly low by automotive standards.

When the changeover happens, it will be nearly instantaneous. No discounts on "old models" will be given, and the old inventory will be sold off as planned with no impact.

You think they will be producing Model Ys out of Austin with 380 mile range and out of Fremont with 330 mile range? I don't see that happening unless they create a new LR+ tier and charge more. Its more likely they will use however many 4680 cells are needed to get the same 330 mile range. The only potential noticeable difference between an Austin Y and a Fremont Y would be slightly better handling due to weighing less. All my opinion obviously. Why give away extra batteries when they are in such tight supply?
They would just lock out the battery like they did when the moved from 75 to 82Kw

Tesla has, on average, about 14-21 days of inventory on hand. Less for the Model Y than all other vehicles. This is incredibly low by automotive standards.

When the changeover happens, it will be nearly instantaneous. No discounts on "old models" will be given, and the old inventory will be sold off as planned with no impact.
at the end of the year they only had a 4 day inventory for MY

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
If that much. I've been looking for a MYP, but am holding out for a made-in TX one. Along these lines I am following closely sites that alert you when a car pops up into inventory. On average, those cars are on the site 1h or less before being snatched up.

400 miles from fremont/ 1300 from austin .... I don't see you having any chance to get a MYP from Austin unless you fly out of state to get it
even the demo cars are only delivered locally

400 miles from fremont/ 1300 from austin .... I don't see you having any chance to get a MYP from Austin unless you fly out of state to get it
even the demo cars are only delivered locally

That's the plan. I'll fly anywhere in the continental US to get a MYP if it has a 4680 structural pack. Not the first time I've flown out of state to get a Tesla.

@TJ21CT perhaps you can speak to this? Does your buddy have any insight on the congruency between the Fremont and Austin lines as far as what will make it into the same MYLR on each line? 🤷🏻‍♂️

You did sort of see this a few years ago when Samsung and TSMC was producing SoC's for Apple. Forgot which way it went, but ones process was slightly better than the others leading to very minor( not noticeable in real life usage) performance differences despite it being the same SoC overall.

You had people on the Apple forums wondering if they should return an iPhone until they could get the one with the slightly better chip.

No - I think Fremont production line is being upgraded to also produce MY's with structural battery packs and both factories will be producing MY's with these packs with 4680 cells at about the same time (be that this month or in another few months).

Reactions: tangible1
No - I think Fremont production line is being upgraded to also produce MY's with structural battery packs and both factories will be producing MY's with these packs with 4680 cells at about the same time (be that this month or in another few months).
Interesting...why do you think that? All indications, including Elon Musk saying it ("Lot of new technology will happen in Berlin, which means significant production risk. Fremont & Shanghai will transition in ~2 years when new tech is proven."), is that Fremont won't change over to the structural 4680s until Austin is ramped, including the Austin 4680 lines. This could easily be over a year before Fremont changes over. I at least wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkp_duke
That's the plan. I'll fly anywhere in the continental US to get a MYP if it has a 4680 structural pack. Not the first time I've flown out of state to get a Tesla.
How the DC you flew to handle you showing up from out of state? When I ordered my 7-seater I told the SA I want to pick it up in NV, I live in UT, and will be registering it in FL. I said I want a 30 day temp tag and nothing else with respect to registration (other than my bill of sale, manufacture, etc paperwork of course). She said they can't do any of that and haven't heard back from her/tesla since, which was late Aug. Will be interesting when I finally l get a VIN where Tesla thinks I'm picking it up. My account still shows all the sales tax and registration fees.

How the DC you flew to handle you showing up from out of state? When I ordered my 7-seater I told the SA I want to pick it up in NV, I live in UT, and will be registering it in FL. I said I want a 30 day temp tag and nothing else with respect to registration (other than my bill of sale, manufacture, etc paperwork of course). She said they can't do any of that and haven't heard back from her/tesla since, which was late Aug. Will be interesting when I finally l get a VIN where Tesla thinks I'm picking it up. My account still shows all the sales tax and registration fees.

You added in a 3rd state, that's your problem. I've never had issues bringing a car into CA and registering it.