Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that when it comes down to what battery pack they'll start of with, it comes down to two things. Do they have a huge supply of 2170 batteries in stock? Yes, then they'll start with those to get rid of inventory. If no, and the 4680's have passed all tests and our ready to go into production vehicles, then they'll start with 4680 packs. As much as we want 4680's in our cars, Tesla wants them in there even more. $$$
Without a huge price increase, putting 4680s in MY will not lead to Tesla making more money. There is a huge investment cost in the 4680 right now since none have been sold. That cost doesn't come down until mass production is possible. To switch all MY over to 4680, Austin and/or Fremont will need roughly 5k 4680 packs per week. There have been no signs that they even have one pack produced from the pilot line in Reno much less have built out to produce 5,000 per week. Yes there appears to be equipment in Austin to produce these but who knows if that is mass production equipment or still test equipment. I am still saying that when 4680 is available, it will go into one specific type of MY first (maybe a LR+ or P+ with extra range) but seriously doubt it will go into a standard LR Y until battery production can meet demand and then all MY production at Fremont and Austin will switch to 4680.

Without a huge price increase, putting 4680s in MY will not lead to Tesla making more money. There is a huge investment cost in the 4680 right now since none have been sold. That cost doesn't come down until mass production is possible. To switch all MY over to 4680, Austin and/or Fremont will need roughly 5k 4680 packs per week. There have been no signs that they even have one pack produced from the pilot line in Reno much less have built out to produce 5,000 per week. Yes there appears to be equipment in Austin to produce these but who knows if that is mass production equipment or still test equipment. I am still saying that when 4680 is available, it will go into one specific type of MY first (maybe a LR+ or P+ with extra range) but seriously doubt it will go into a standard LR Y until battery production can meet demand and then all MY production at Fremont and Austin will switch to 4680.
I do think think they'll do a plus version... I think they might just go straight Model YP. We'll see.

I agree with everything except for the need of a huge price increase. 4680 cells are cheaper to make than current cells, so I think once they go into production with them, the initial investment costs will be made up for.

I do think think they'll do a plus version... I think they might just go straight Model YP. We'll see.
While I agree that a "MY Plus" variant will get offered, several things need to happen before that version of the MY arises.

1. 4680 production in volume
2. 4680 volume sufficient to support the CT, the SEMI, and the ROADSTER - which likely means multiple 4680 vendors
3. credible competition to the MY, in volume

My guess is two years before a 'Plus' gets offered, and it may just become the MY standard offering.
Remember, the fewer the variants/option/etc, the simpler the manufacturing is.
Tesla wants volume first and foremost, to drive down cost and increase market penetration.

I agree with everything except for the need of a huge price increase. 4680 cells are cheaper to make than current cells, so I think once they go into production with them, the initial investment costs will be made up for.

They WILL be cheaper to make in the long run. They are not currently, guaranteed. They still need to see if they meet expectations before that statement can be confirmed and then they will need to be mass produced before they become cheaper.

While I agree that a "MY Plus" variant will get offered, several things need to happen before that version of the MY arises.

1. 4680 production in volume
2. 4680 volume sufficient to support the CT, the SEMI, and the ROADSTER - which likely means multiple 4680 vendors
3. credible competition to the MY, in volume

My guess is two years before a 'Plus' gets offered, and it may just become the MY standard offering.
Remember, the fewer the variants/option/etc, the simpler the manufacturing is.
Tesla wants volume first and foremost, to drive down cost and increase market penetration.

Totally agree. While I do think 4680 will go into MY, it will be after it goes into other vehicles that benefit much more from more energy density in less space because of the need for more energy in those vehicles.

And then, when the Model Y gets all these goodies, more power, faster acceleration, the price goes up. Then the complaining goes up. It's not so much that the manufacturing is "simpler" but there's less to the car to raise the price. Everybody wants a bunch of goodies, but they want them at the price of the original. Ain't gonna happen.
The competition for resources is driving up those commodity prices, meaning end-prices rise or margins decline.

However, in the case of Tesla, they got ahead of all that, locked in their commodity costs, and are making batteries themselves.
Name another vehicle manufacturer doing that.
Only BYD in China.

Tesla retains better pricing power than anyone, especially with the manufacturing assets now in place.
They can pursue profits or market share at will.
Elon's got his money. I think he'll go for share. That says Tesla prices moderate.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
They WILL be cheaper to make in the long run. They are not currently, guaranteed. They still need to see if they meet expectations before that statement can be confirmed and then they will need to be mass produced before they become cheaper.

Totally agree. While I do think 4680 will go into MY, it will be after it goes into other vehicles that benefit much more from more energy density in less space because of the need for more energy in those vehicles.
I've got a feeling the Model Y will be the first vehicle to get the 4680... in fact I thought that was the general consensus among almost everyone. Wasn't there even a Y chassis spotted in Austin that folks think is the next step... a chassis built for the structural battery pack?

Reactions: preilly44

Breaking: A bit of news I just heard at the site today... actual production for Giga Texas starts next week! They are driving finished cars inside the factory already and several completed cars are already at testing sites out of state getting crash and other testing completed.

12:14 PM · Dec 31, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
The wait for the transport trucks to take them to customers begins......
Should be interesting for a couple weeks.

Reactions: ap105 and BGOwner
I've got a feeling the Model Y will be the first vehicle to get the 4680... in fact I thought that was the general consensus among almost everyone. Wasn't there even a Y chassis spotted in Austin that folks think is the next step... a chassis built for the structural battery pack?
For sure.

Attachments

• Y 4680 Body.jpg
    Y 4680 Body.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Steve S and rob968

Breaking: A bit of news I just heard at the site today... actual production for Giga Texas starts next week! They are driving finished cars inside the factory already and several completed cars are already at testing sites out of state getting crash and other testing completed.

12:14 PM · Dec 31, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Could be unrelated but my EDD moved from July to Mar-Apr today, and I am east of TX. I’m wondering if they are beginning to schedule production runs for the new factory.

Reactions: SpadeFire and ap105
Yes, 1 body, not hundreds or even thousands. I do not think they are ready for mass production of 4680 MY. They may be making the first pack that is going into the first body, then all of that needs to be tested in house before making a few more for sending out for legal testing. It is very unlikely they are going from the equipment being delivered 2 months ago and experiencing problems even making 4680 cell components to making packs for mass producing within 2 months. The line was ust pictured as being installed 2 weeks ago so again, they might not even be making successful 4680 cells yet, the equipment is there but the process may not be figured out yet. They are set to use 2170 to start per Elon in August.

Until the backlog for MY is eaten through where they can pause Fremont and Texas while switching over, there is no reason to switch to 4680. Remember all the castings at Fremont they are just starting to work through? They will do the same with 4680. They need to stockpile enough to make 4,000 cars per week. And unless they switch all of one type of car to Fremont and another type to Austin, they will not make multiple models of Model Y that will be different where you are in the country. Do you charge different prices? At some point Tesla will need to pause and have everything be the same at both plants in the US, that is when 4680 will be introduced. There is no sign of that happening soon in Fremont and if Austin is ready to produce MY with 2170, they will conitnue with that until they can do the changeover properly. Remember no Model S for a year when Plaid was being introduced?