Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone took a photo of the production line unless it’s from Fremont and it’s a fake.
No one is denying they are making Model Ys in Austin. It’s part of the normal startup and testing requirements.

However making one or 20 Model Ys doesn’t indicate full production of saleable cars is imminent. It means they are validating and testing and training and proofing their equipment. Which is absolutely normal.

I think what we have is a bunch of excited people who have never done automated manufacturing startups seeing things like a car body or a validation of a production process and thinking they’ll start running end to end production in a day.

That’s not how it works. This picture shows a front of a model y in a process. I have no doubt this is real. Maybe it’s from Fremont but probably not. But this picture only shows they are testing and doing proofs and validation and QC. That’s normal. They could be a week or two months away from production.

Tesla will either announce production start OR there will be DOZENS of cars a day (to begin with) on the lots. That’s when you know you are close. 1-10 cars or seeing parts of a production line working doesn’t tell you anything definitive.

Drone photo today appears to show new, plateless Model 3 mixed in the new cars without plates, which raises a lot of questions about what the plateless vehicles in the lot really are and where they were made. Because if it is an M3 no way in hell was it made there.
I continue to see no serious signs of imminent production. The drone shots in the windows for last couple weeks show small numbers of people doing not much and with little urgency. Most action was the other day when the construction guys were hitting the feedback at lunch.

No one is denying they are making Model Ys in Austin. It’s part of the normal startup and testing requirements.

However making one or 20 Model Ys doesn’t indicate full production of saleable cars is imminent. It means they are validating and testing and training and proofing their equipment. Which is absolutely normal.

I think what we have is a bunch of excited people who have never done automated manufacturing startups seeing things like a car body or a validation of a production process and thinking they’ll start running end to end production in a day.

That’s not how it works. This picture shows a front of a model y in a process. I have no doubt this is real. Maybe it’s from Fremont but probably not. But this picture only shows they are testing and doing proofs and validation and QC. That’s normal. They could be a week or two months away from production.

Tesla will either announce production start OR there will be DOZENS of cars a day (to begin with) on the lots. That’s when you know you are close. 1-10 cars or seeing parts of a production line working doesn’t tell you anything definitive.
At this point, IMO, Elon will announce the opening of Austin at the 26th shareholder meeting and they are not going to give any indication of production ready cars before then. I could be wrong but......

Drone photo today appears to show new, plateless Model 3 mixed in the new cars without plates, which raises a lot of questions about what the plateless vehicles in the lot really are and where they were made. Because if it is an M3 no way in hell was it made there.
I continue to see no serious signs of imminent production. The drone shots in the windows for last couple weeks show small numbers of people doing not much and with little urgency. Most action was the other day when the construction guys were hitting the feedback at lunch.

if you zoom in there is a white sign inside that can be seen through the rear window and it says DEC 16 2021

Last edited:
Why does it matter? Beyond the basic fact that a tiny fraction of buyers did this (and ended up waiting longer for nothing), it consisted of someone put theirs on hold, so someone else who didn’t care about the tax credit got a car earlier. If it were a crime, it would lack victims.
I don't know, it seems it was enough for Tesla to start recognizing it and implement policies to change it.
I personally, do not have any issue with someone doing what they want to do with their order/vehicle. I just do not want it to affect my delivery. I do not know that it does specifically, but it does get frustrating to see that someone put their order on hold in hopes of getting x,y, or z. And when they come off, they get an EDD in less than a week, while I haven't had hold the first and continue to get bumped backward. Again, it may not have anything to do with my order, but the optics are bad, especially when coupled with the frustration of continuing to have to wait. I considered putting mine on hold and then taking it right off to see if it would push me to the front of the line too...but just my luck that would be when they started putting those orders to the back of the line.

I don't know, it seems it was enough for Tesla to start recognizing it and implement policies to change it.
I personally, do not have any issue with someone doing what they want to do with their order/vehicle. I just do not want it to affect my delivery. I do not know that it does specifically, but it does get frustrating to see that someone put their order on hold in hopes of getting x,y, or z. And when they come off, they get an EDD in less than a week, while I haven't had hold the first and continue to get bumped backward. Again, it may not have anything to do with my order, but the optics are bad, especially when coupled with the frustration of continuing to have to wait. I considered putting mine on hold and then taking it right off to see if it would push me to the front of the line too...but just my luck that would be when they started putting those orders to the back of the line..
Other people have been bumped forward, you got bumped back, my order essentially hasn’t moved an iota in three months, all through what would have been peak of holds for Jan. 1. Not many were doing that, and that was $8000 potentially.
So , fewer still are doing it for that AMD chip, or the wildly speculative timing on 4680s which could be not coming till July or August or something. It’s just not a serious factor. And any on hold are waiting just as long or longer than you.

So you wait the normal 'standard' Tesla time for a car and you schedule your 'appointment' for out of town during your EDD? I guess I don't understand. What gets me really crazy is waiting for a doctor's appointment, having them call/email/text a few dozen times & say please arrive 15-30 minutes prior. Then I sit and wait until it's 15-20 minutes AFTER my appointment time and I see the doc for like maybe 10 minutes.
No...my initial EDD was December, it has changed 15 times. My kids' spring break has been scheduled since obviously before the school year. I have a trip planned for that time. My EDD at this time has not quite gotten to that time frame; however, after 15 changes and by that time over 6 months waiting, I will not be surprised if it does. So then if that is when I am finally given an EDD, and I am on a trip (that has been planned since my EDD was mid-November), and I am only given 72 hours to pick up....or I get pushed to the back of the line, I would hope it would be understandable why I might be upset.

Reactions: advocate8
Other people have been bumped forward, you got bumped back, my order essentially hasn’t moved an iota in three months, all through what would have been peak of holds for Jan. 1. Not many were doing that, and that was $8000 potentially.
So , fewer still are doing it for that AMD chip, or the wildly speculative timing on 4680s which could be not coming till July or August or something. It’s just not a serious factor. And any on hold are waiting just as long or longer than you.
Again, my only sample size is these forums...but there have been enough for me to note, there are those on hold who have not waited as long as I have. I also realize, my wait time is past the average (another frustrating point).

What? My eyesight must be going. I was sure it said "69 on 420"

(likely a temp tag
FJkaaJzXwAYKpP3

439211F
DEC 16, 2021

Again, my only sample size is these forums...but there have been enough for me to note, there are those on hold who have not waited as long as I have. I also realize, my wait time is past the average (another frustrating point).
A lot of it seems related to color and other options... but figuring it out is like looking at chicken entrails to read the future...

Reactions: DrGriz
No...my initial EDD was December, it has changed 15 times. My kids' spring break has been scheduled since obviously before the school year. I have a trip planned for that time. My EDD at this time has not quite gotten to that time frame; however, after 15 changes and by that time over 6 months waiting, I will not be surprised if it does. So then if that is when I am finally given an EDD, and I am on a trip (that has been planned since my EDD was mid-November), and I am only given 72 hours to pick up....or I get pushed to the back of the line, I would hope it would be understandable why I might be upset.
Let's not get upset on what may or may not happen. I do hope you and your kids enjoy spring break.

It’s just not a serious factor. And any on hold are waiting just as long or longer than you.

For those on hold that would be waiting just as long or longer are done by choice( barring holds being due to financial or life events, not just grabbing a hopeful lower price, wait until they get feature XYZ, etc). That won't get me to empathize with the holders if they ever come here to complain about EDD's or delays or waits......

• Funny
Reactions: mwdietertg