Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One early point made by Elon is that starting production of any new models now would cause reduced production of the current vehicles because supply chain related parts shortages limits the number of vehicles they can build. So diverting parts for production of new models would cause more parts shortages for current vehicles.

Elon said production is not limited by 4680 availability but rather by other supply chain parts limitations (eg. chips) I think he was clear Gigatexas be begin delivering MYs this quarter with 4680 batteries.

Also Tesla is not currently working on the $25K car.

Have not yet been asked nor said if Fremont MYs will be same configuration as Austin MYs. I hope that does get answered.
Indeed, I 'liked' Elon's response to the $25K car: we can't make enough of our current models to meet demand due to supply chain/chips. Basically I took that as: Why roll out another car, potentially less profitable, and reduce chips for the current backorders.

It was NOT a surge in ass wiping that caused the toilet paper shortage, Elon says!
THIS is the question we all needed to be answered.
I actually laughed out loud at his remark about ass wiping. Elon was attempting to make a point to us mere mortals, so we might understand, toilet paper mass purchasers during the initial COVID craziness was utter nonsense.

Do you think the MY Performance will be the first vehicle delivered out of Austin?
My East Coast MYP is scheduled for delivery Feb 21 - Mar 21
Hahaha... let the new speculation begin! who knows. I mean, to me it would make as much sense as anything since they like to maximize profits. but it would just be a coin flip to guess at that.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
Do you think the MY Performance will be the first vehicle delivered out of Austin?
My East Coast MYP is scheduled for delivery Feb 21 - Mar 21
We have only seen YLR so far . Until someone sees a MYP from Austin they don't exist. I am sure they couldn't fill their orders just making the MYLR so they may just ship their MYLR until they get up to speed and the MYP stays in fremont .

We have only seen YLR so far . Until someone sees a MYP from Austin they don't exist. I am sure they couldn't fill their orders just making the MYLR so they may just ship their MYLR until they get up to speed and the MYP stays in fremont .
How do you know they are YLR? I respectfully disagree. They certainly wouldn't put expensive wheels on the Performance vehicles if they were just going to be used for testing and apparently all test vehicles must be destroyed. Or they may use YLRs for testing.
Tesla customarily produces the more expensive model first to maximize their profit at the earliest opportunity. Look at the Model S. You can get a PLAID in a few weeks and have to wait until Aug for an LR Model S.

The configurator says Model YPs have an EDD in March, while the YLRs are not available until August.

Why are test cars destroyed?
Automakers typically destroy test models because they may be drastically different from the vehicles approved by regulators and certified for sale to consumers

Reactions: SWIPE and advocate8