Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its listed in different places. I could see it being accurate though... now that I think about it longer. Didn't they update the 2021 mid-year such that all 2022's will now have 82kwh batteries instead of the older 75kwh?

That may or may not account for it.
And dual laminated front windows. Lots of extra weight added but no chance in acceleration specs...

Reactions: Stook02ss
The people who don’t know much about cars and just use cars as point a to point b won’t understand the handling aspect or other advantages of a couple hundred lbs lighter vehicle.
Id be happy to get 400 lbs out of it, and no range increase.
I predict the new curb weight will be 4206.9
Place your bets!!! Mine: 4228.4

They have even though the increase didn’t match the kWh gained. Model Y went from 326 to 330 miles and model 3 from 353 to 358.
Correct, about a 1.3% increase. The MYP didn't gain anything I don't think. My point is that's nothing compared to the 9% increase in size. Combine that with the weight savings, they've got plenty of room to add range.... at least a comfortable 6-7%, and still be further below capacity than it was when they had the 72kw batteries.... 6-7% which would put the MY LR over 350.

The only other thing is the Ryzen processor..... which we've heard consumes considerably more energy and apparently has impacted range. I doubt its a crazy amount, hence 9% plus weight savings... conservative 6% increase in range possible.

We have no idea really, I just think the math checks out. Whether they'd actually do it.... I have no idea.

Correct, about a 1.3% increase. The MYP didn't gain anything I don't think. My point is that's nothing compared to the 9% increase in size. Combine that with the weight savings, they've got plenty of room to add range.... at least a comfortable 6-7%, and still be further below capacity than it was when they had the 72kw batteries.... 6-7% which would put the MY LR over 350.

The only other thing is the Ryzen processor..... which we've heard consumes considerably more energy and apparently has impacted range. I doubt its a crazy amount, hence 9% plus weight savings... conservative 6% increase in range possible.

MYP already had the 82 kwh battery. It was the LR trim that gained it Mid-2021.

tesla-battery-day-bingo.png

Place your bets

Reactions: FOD11 and garumaru

We have no idea really, I just think the math checks out. Whether they'd actually do it.... I have no idea.
I never understood the math behind the claim that Ryzen could have appreciable impact on range.

MYP already had the 82 kwh battery. It was the LR trim that gained it Mid-2021.
Ah, that's a good point, a very good point. Well.... I maintain my bit about the LR possibly having room for improvement. MYP... I don't know if it was as equally tapped out as the LR all along or if it just had an even more intense restriction on usable capacity to begin with.

That said, MYP aside, I maintain the math works out for the LR!

I never understood the math behind the claim that Ryzen could have appreciable impact on range.
Long story short, Tesla told a buyer in Australia it did... and adjusted their European range estimates... why folks in the US haven't gotten the same message or revised range estimates, I don't know. Perhaps they've just tapped into some of that hidden unused capacity for those models, perhaps it was an insane over-estimate of the impact made by Tesla to appease a government body. I have no idea why they'd send that to customers in Australia but not the US. Just going by what's been reported.

I would note that the European testing does already result in more advertised range than in the US, for what that's worth.

Last edited:
They have even though the increase didn’t match the kWh gained. Model Y went from 326 to 330 miles and model 3 from 353 to 358.
I didn’t take this as a battery adjustment, but more so adjusting based on wheels. LR used to be 326 across the board. They made the Gemini wheels 330 and the induction 318.

Last edited:
If we are to get dual glazed rear windows, ventilated seats, etc., etc., those all weigh something. Significant in the case of windows, not so much for seats and heated wipers. However, when you add it all up, maybe there isn't much weight savings at all and the main benefit to 4680 will be the supposed increase in longevity and everything else will remain the same. Lets just throw some darts at the Bingo card...

If we are to get dual glazed rear windows, ventilated seats, etc., etc., those all weigh something. Significant in the case of windows, not so much for seats and heated wipers. However, when you add it all up, maybe there isn't much weight savings at all and the main benefit to 4680 will be the supposed increase in longevity and everything else will remain the same. Lets just throw some darts at the Bingo card...
Considering car windshields typically weight 25-30 pounds, I think you may be overestimating the difference the updated glass will have.

Every little bit counts. Porsche uses gorilla glass on the rear window on some of their GT cars.. only to have them crack :D Stress fracture in GT3RS Rear Window - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Oh I agree, I'm all for some high quality glass lol. I'm talking about the weight increase. I don't think the new glass is going to add 100+ pounds to the car lol. Then again, that may not of been what he meant when he said "If we are to get dual glazed rear windows, ventilated seats, etc., etc., those all weigh something. Significant in the case of windows, not so much for seats and heated wipers. However, when you add it all up, maybe there isn't much weight savings at all and the main benefit to 4680 will be the supposed increase in longevity and everything else will remain the same. "

Reactions: Daniel L
Oh I agree, I'm all for some high quality glass lol. I'm talking about the weight increase. I don't think the new glass is going to add 100+ pounds to the car lol. Then again, that may not of been what he meant when he said "If we are to get dual glazed rear windows, ventilated seats, etc., etc., those all weigh something. Significant in the case of windows, not so much for seats and heated wipers. However, when you add it all up, maybe there isn't much weight savings at all and the main benefit to 4680 will be the supposed increase in longevity and everything else will remain the same. "
Have you opened a front door of a MY without dual glazed vs one with? Feels like way more than 20# difference. In total, 20# per door is 80#. That’s almost 100#. The battery day numbers were before dual glazed front windows correct? So you have to go back to that point and add in all the weight gains to get the sum difference. It’s looking like less than 200#.

Reactions: advocate8