Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you opened a front door of a MY without dual glazed vs one with? Feels like way more than 20# difference. In total, 20# per door is 80#. That’s almost 100#. The battery day numbers were before dual glazed front windows correct? So you have to go back to that point and add in all the weight gains to get the sum difference. It’s looking like less than 200#.
I hear ya, but you can also just look up online what glass weighs. From what I read, entire front windshields are typically 20-30lbs.... if that's accurate, there is no way hell the back and side windows tally up to more than 125lbs... total, not additional weight.

I never understood the math behind the claim that Ryzen could have appreciable impact on range.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to pencil out. Even if the nw cpu was running tens-of-watts harder all the time, that's still close-to-nothing on overall range of the car. For the interested reader, the car eats ballpark 250 watt-hours per mile. Assuming an average speed of 30 mph, a mile takes a couple minutes. In a couple of minutes, a wildly hot ryzen cpu should eat maybe 1 watt-hour if it was somehow playing doom at 60 fps... just not meaningful imo.

So, I'd like to urgently encourage everyone with a gray MYLR on order to immediately put it on hold in order to get all the cool new goodies that are coming soon.

My teetering Mini just threw another code indicative of a possible $2-3K repair to a car with a market value around $3K, and I really need my delivery date to move up as soon as possible!

Yeah, it doesn't seem to pencil out. Even if the nw cpu was running tens-of-watts harder all the time, that's still close-to-nothing on overall range of the car. For the interested reader, the car eats ballpark 250 watt-hours per mile. Assuming an average speed of 30 mph, a mile takes a couple minutes. In a couple of minutes, a wildly hot ryzen cpu should eat maybe 1 watt-hour if it was somehow playing doom at 60 fps... just not meaningful imo.
I don't disagree, the math doesn't workout. My gaming laptop can run for 60-90 minutes while gaming... high-end card and processor.... and its got a 70whr battery... not kwhr... whr lol.

Really annoying to read the banter about stupid weight of glass. Hopefully this answers what to expect

Pointless CARB certification. Is CARB operating in Texas now?

And the stupid weight of glass as you call it is the same as arguing that a person in the car doesn't change acceleration and handling. For all the talk of Tesla saving weight with 4680 and front and rear megacasts, that is all offset if they pile an extra 2-300# of material on the car.

Pointless CARB certification. Is CARB operating in Texas now?

And the stupid weight of glass as you call it is the same as arguing that a person in the car doesn't change acceleration and handling. For all the talk of Tesla saving weight with 4680 and front and rear megacasts, that is all offset if they pile an extra 2-300# of material on the car.
Was referring to the mileage from the filing that possibly indicates that we might get a higher mileage MY soon if there is weight savings.

Was referring to the mileage from the filing that possibly indicates that we might get a higher mileage MY soon if there is weight savings.
Unfortunately weight will only do so much, at least not if you are making the most of the regenerative breaking. At anything approaching highway speeds, its the wind resistance that's the real killer. I'll bet a drop of 6-7% in weight, so 300lbs or so, only yields a 2-3% increase in range... which is still something, a solid 7-12 miles. I could be wrong, but that's what I've read anyway.